2018-19 Laval Rocket & ECHL Thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That Laval team is going to be a treat to watch next year.

Agreed. I was making my best attempt at how the roster would look like the other day. I like the way the D is shaping up. If we send Peca down and he clears waivers... I think it comes down to who we want sitting watching games on the NHL roster.. Between Weise and Peca

* 5 rookies added in one year. Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Primeau, Teasdale.
* 3 players who are playing their 2nd pro year. Evans, Fleury, Alain

Shinkaruk / Evans / Suzuki
Verbeek / Poehling / Peca
Teasdale / McCarron / Vejdemo
Audette / Alain / Waked

Pezzettta, Weise

Olofsson / Fleury
Leskinen / Brook
Alzner / Lernout

Sklenicka, Ouellet

Primeau
McNiven

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That Laval team is going to be a treat to watch next year.

Can't wait. I feel like the AHL GDTs will have more participation this coming season. At least to start the year because we know things change in the AHL with call ups and that.

But there are very interesting pieces making their way next season.

And with Ylönen and Ikonen most likely making their way here the year after. In fact, depending how their teams do, they may make the jump to North America before the season ends. Like Alexandre Texier did for Columbus after his Liiga year was over.

And oh yea, let's not forget Romanov.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Can't wait. I feel like the AHL GDTs will have more participation this coming season. At least to start the year because we know things change in the AHL with call ups and that.

And with Ylönen and Ikonen most likely making their way here the year after. In fact, depending how their teams do, they may make the jump to North America before the season ends. Like Alexandre Texier did for Columbus after his Liiga year was over.

I think it would be smart for Romanov to develop properly in Russia for now. No reason to send him over from a hometown team that clearly likes him a ton. But even without him, Laval looks like a really really exciting team for next year.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think it would be smart for Romanov to develop properly in Russia for now. No reason to send him over from a hometown team that clearly likes him a ton. But even without him, Laval looks like a really really exciting team for next year.

I didn't mean he can come this year. He will play in Russia another year. But after that, he can come here.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I was thinking about that, next year there should be a lot more interest due to what could be so many of our top prospects being there. I was thinking we should have a GDT for every game regardless if it's on RDS or not. Can't wait for the season to start, as they could be very good depending on how the roster shakes out and if Bouchard can get them to play as well as they did with almost no offensive players, it should be very interesting to see what he can do with some legit scorers.

Although we have to wait and see what happens in the off-season, MB didn't seem too concerned with improving the roster later in the season but I hope next year with more prospects on it they pay more attention and do more to help us not only make the playoffs but be one of the top teams in the AHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How many games does it take to be considered an AHL vet? 240? Because Peca is under that number by a fair margin.

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a regular-season game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL, IHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

Peca - 263 games
Audette - 206
Hudon - 317
Lernout - 300
Ouellet - 330
Alzner/Weise - a lot

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Agreed. I was making my best attempt at how the roster would look like the other day. I like the way the D is shaping up. If we send Peca down and he clears waivers... I think it comes down to who we want sitting watching games on the NHL roster.. Between Weise and Peca

Audette / Alain / Waked

Pezzettta, Weise

Olofsson / Fleury
Leskinen / Brook
Alzner / Lernout

Sklenicka, Ouellet

Primeau
McNiven

Don't count on Shinkaruk returning.

There are also Belzile and Grenier who may return. Also if Ouellet signs and returns, and goes to Laval, he won't be an extra. He'll be the top pairing guy.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Audette / Alain / Waked

Pezzettta, Weise

Olofsson / Fleury
Leskinen / Brook
Alzner / Lernout

Sklenicka, Ouellet

Primeau
McNiven

1. Shinkaruk is like Drouin with 1/6 of the skill. I'd be angry if he's brought back. Audette can go too, we can do better by playing a vet.
2. Habs team has Domi/Gallagher/Drouin/Tatar/Danault/Shaw/Lehkonen/KK/Byron/Weal/Thompson/Armia. That's 12, so unless Hudon is traded, 2-3 of Deslauriers/Peca/Hudon/Weise are going down. That's if we get no signing at all this summer up front. I would still get Belzile back too.
3. Verbeek and Pezzetta are also playing their 2nd pro year.
4. Your forward line-up is all scrambled. No way Verbeek plays 2nd line and Weise sit for Waked (Weise probably bump Vejdemo to 4th line).
5. Ouellet would take Olofsson spot there (who in turn takes Lernout spot). Lernout is probably not back and you forgot Lamarche who still has a year left.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1. Shinkaruk is like Drouin with 1/6 of the skill. I'd be angry if he's brought back. Audette can go too, we can do better by playing a vet.
2. Habs team has Domi/Gallagher/Drouin/Tatar/Danault/Shaw/Lehkonen/KK/Byron/Weal/Thompson/Armia. That's 12, so unless Hudon is traded, 2-3 of Deslauriers/Peca/Hudon/Weise are going down. That's if we get no signing at all this summer up front. I would still get Belzile back too.
3. Verbeek and Pezzetta are also playing their 2nd pro year.
4. Your forward line-up is all scrambled. No way Verbeek plays 2nd line and Weise sit for Waked (Weise probably bump Vejdemo to 4th line).
5. Ouellet would take Olofsson spot there (who in turn takes Lernout spot). Lernout is probably not back and you forgot Lamarche who still has a year left.

Help me out, List your line-up?

1. Was not aware of Shinkaruk's game. Don't know too much about him but thought he was a decent AHL depth guy

2. Hudon is not likely to get a NHL contract. Maybe a AHL contract. It comes down to Weise vs Peca for the 23rd spot if you ask me. If Poehling makes the team, then Deslauriers is at risk to be sent down too.

3. Verbeek and Pezzetta. My bad. Forgot that it's their 2nd year too

4. My line-up is a guess. Pure and simple.

5. Ouellet was not that good on D and Olofsson only played 2 games last year. I think he can be a better option vs Ouellet if he is healthy. I think the goal should be to shore up the D and help out the Laval goalies. Should be interesting to see how the D looks. I like how it's shaping out and the options Bouchard will have is a good thing.

Lernout not back? Why? He was one of our better defensive D man in Laval last year? Are we looking at points only again? It don't work that way

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Help me out, List your line-up?

Bolded are vets according to their games played at the start of the season.

Hudon - Evans - Belzile
Peca - Poehling - Suzuki
Teasdale/Vejdemo - McCarron - Weise
Verbeek/Teasdale - Verbeek/Vejdemo - Alain
Waked
ECHL: Pezzetta (gets called up if injury/call-up happens and plays over Waked), Martineau, some other guys

Ouellet - Fleury
Alzner - Brook
Leskinen - Olofsson
Sklenicka, Lamarche
ECHL: Culkin, Walford, Tyszka, some other guys

McNiven/Primeau

Replace Hudon/Peca with an AHL vet like Carr/O'Reilly/Tynan/Mueller/Holland/Froese/Terry/Carey/Dalpe as needed. Actually, I think we should get another vet anyway to max it out at 6.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bolded are vets according to their games played at the start of the season.

Hudon - Evans - Belzile
Peca - Poehling - Suzuki
Teasdale/Vejdemo - McCarron - Weise
Verbeek/Teasdale - Verbeek/Vejdemo - Alain
Waked
ECHL: Pezzetta (gets called up if injury/call-up happens and plays over Waked), Martineau, some other guys

Ouellet - Fleury
Alzner - Brook
Leskinen - Olofsson
Sklenicka, Lamarche
ECHL: Culkin, Walford, Tyszka, some other guys

McNiven/Primeau

Replace Hudon/Peca with an AHL vet like Carr/O'Reilly/Tynan/Mueller/Holland/Froese/Terry/Carey/Dalpe as needed. Actually, I think we should get another vet anyway to max it out at 6.

I agree they need another vet. No idea where Hudon fits at this stage. Feel sorry for him but he got his shot. Maybe Hudon is the AHL vet?

Not sure about Peca at LW. He should be either center or RW?

I think the Ouellet and Fleury combo is a mistake. The two worse +/- on the team last year on D. That's why I had Olofsson with Fleury and Alzner with Brook.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I agree they need another vet. No idea where Hudon fits at this stage. Feel sorry for him but he got his shot. Maybe Hudon is the AHL vet?

Not sure about Peca at LW. He should be either center or RW?

I think the Ouellet and Fleury combo is a mistake. The two worse +/- on the team last year on D. That's why I had Olofsson with Fleury and Alzner with Brook.

I was talking about one more vet in addition to Hudon and the rest.
Peca will manage at RW or we can switch him and Belzile/Weise up.
They were also great offensively and played a lot. I think Fleury being a year older will help the pair being more solid defensively. If that is not the case, mix it up:

Alzner - Fleury
Ouellet - Brook
Leskinen - Olofsson

One thing for sure, Ouellet is top 4 and plays PP.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was talking about one more vet in addition to Hudon and the rest.
Peca will manage at RW or we can switch him and Belzile/Weise up.
They were also great offensively and played a lot. I think Fleury being a year older will help the pair being more solid defensively. If that is not the case, mix it up:

Alzner - Fleury
Ouellet - Brook
Leskinen - Olofsson

One thing for sure, Ouellet is top 4 and plays PP.

I like this better in terms of balance.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What's the injury status of Olofsson?

He had shoulder surgery in October so he should be good to go for next season.

He's an RFA and from what I read from some of the broadcasters and beat reporters who follow the team, despite him missing the entire season, the Habs are high on him so I can see them qualify him and sign him for next year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He had shoulder surgery in October so he should be good to go for next season.

He's an RFA and from what I read from some of the broadcasters and beat reporters who follow the team, despite him missing the entire season, the Habs are high on him so I can see them qualify him and sign him for next year.

They should be high on him. He's a fringe NHL talent when we acquired him. Primeau is going to steal the show in Laval next year if that D is stable and it looks like it will be. Bouchard will have lots of options on D

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They should be high on him. He's a fringe NHL talent when we acquired him. Primeau is going to steal the show in Laval next year if that D is stable and it looks like it will be. Bouchard will have lots of options on D

The trade for Olofsson was in the same vain as the Kulak trade. Basically Habs moved pieces to acquire two players with NHL experience. So even if they were AHL players at the time of the deals, both Kulak and Olofsson would be two call up options with NHL experience. And that also affords them the chance to let their legit prospects develop in the AHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The trade for Olofsson was in the same vain as the Kulak trade. Basically Habs moved pieces to acquire two players with NHL experience. So even if they were AHL players at the time of the deals, both Kulak and Olofsson would be two call up options with NHL experience. And that also affords them the chance to let their legit prospects develop in the AHL.

Olofsson is 24 I believe. Bergevin loves to go after guys right before their prime. Petry, Byron, Danault, Domi, Kulak, Armia, Weal, Shaw. He takes a shot at a lot of these types and yeah it don't always work out but the price to acquire is cheap and he has hit more than people want to give him credit for.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't see Shinkaruk returning, would be very surprised and disappointed.

Same here. I'd be happy if they bring back Belzile. And I wouldn't mind bringing Grenier back. But if they don't, I'd be fine with that also.

So basically Grenier is a "whatever" situation for me.

Reactions: Agalloch

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I was thinking about that, next year there should be a lot more interest due to what could be so many of our top prospects being there. I was thinking we should have a GDT for every game regardless if it's on RDS or not. Can't wait for the season to start, as they could be very good depending on how the roster shakes out and if Bouchard can get them to play as well as they did with almost no offensive players, it should be very interesting to see what he can do with some legit scorers.

Although we have to wait and see what happens in the off-season, MB didn't seem too concerned with improving the roster later in the season but I hope next year with more prospects on it they pay more attention and do more to help us not only make the playoffs but be one of the top teams in the AHL.

I'm with you on that. I don't know who makes the decision or who creates them, but it would be cool to have an AHL Prefix to create GDT threads so they are more easily identifiable when we come on HF Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad