2018-19 Laval Rocket & ECHL Thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I hope they bring back Belzile as well!

Hudon-Suzuki-Belzile
Deslauriers-Evans-Peca
Teasdale-Poehling-Weise
Verbeek-Vejdemo-Alain

Reactions: S Bah

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Ya Kulak was supposed to be behind Olofsson. Olofsson will maybe start the year in Laval like Kulak because of his injuries but I don’t think It will take time before Habs recall him

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Suzuki
Poehling
Weise
Evans
Pezzetta
Alain
Verbeek
Vejdemo
Waked
Forward squad so far. I don't think Deslauriers will be send down.

Don't see Hudon playing in Laval, i even think he'd rather play anywhere in AHL but to have anything to do with Montreal organization.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Suzuki
Poehling
Weise
Evans
Pezzetta
Alain
Verbeek
Vejdemo
Waked
Forward squad so far. I don't think Deslauriers will be send down.

Don't see Hudon playing in Laval, i even think he'd rather play anywhere in AHL but to have anything to do with Montreal organization.

Hudon doesn't really have a say in the matter unless he wants to stay home or get a AHL/Europe deal.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Looks like Trois-Rivieres could be our next ECHL team !?

It's been a rumor since they announced that they will build a new arena in Trois-Rivières. It will either be a QMJHL team or an ECHL team, which it all points to them being a Habs affiliate. They have hired Marc-Andre Bergeron to seek out a tenant for the arena, which should be ready for the 2020-21 season.

I would be thrilled if they become Habs' official ECHL affiliate. One thing the Leafs did is take a more hands on approach to their ECHL affiliate in Newfoundland, directly hiring the coach and using a three-tiered system for their prospect pool. Most ECHL teams are independently run and just have affiliations. If Habs use the same approach, it would be a real good thing for the organization.

Not to mention, TR is 90 minutes away from Montreal/Laval, making it even easier for call ups.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's been a rumor since they announced that they will build a new arena in Trois-Rivières. It will either be a QMJHL team or an ECHL team, which it all points to them being a Habs affiliate. They have hired Marc-Andre Bergeron to seek out a tenant for the arena, which should be ready for the 2020-21 season.

I would be thrilled if they become Habs' official ECHL affiliate. One thing the Leafs did is take a more hands on approach to their ECHL affiliate in Newfoundland, directly hiring the coach and using a three-tiered system for their prospect pool. Most ECHL teams are independently run and just have affiliations. If Habs use the same approach, it would be a real good thing for the organization.

Not to mention, TR is 90 minutes away from Montreal/Laval, making it even easier for call ups.

Would also explain why Montreal didn't affiliate with any specific ECHL team this past season and likely won't again

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Hi everyone! I live in NY and was wondering if there is a quality package out there for Laval games? Thanks in advance!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hi everyone! I live in NY and was wondering if there is a quality package out there for Laval games? Thanks in advance!

You moved to NY? I thought you lived in Pennsylvania.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The Conference Finals are set for the Calder Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Conference Final: Toronto Marlies vs. Charlotte Checkers
Western Conference Final: Chicago Wolves (Daniel Carr) vs. San Diego Gulls (Sly is assistant coach)

And for the Kelly Cup Playoffs (ECHL), the conference finals are already started:

Eastern Conference Finals: Newfoundland Growlers (TOR) vs. Florida Everblades (CAR)
Growlers are up 2-1 on series

Western Conference Finals: Tulsa Oilers (STL) vs. Toledo Walleye (DET)
Walleye are up 2-1 on series

* The Carolina Hurricanes are the only organization in the conference finals in all three leagues.
* St. Louis Blues in the NHL and ECHL.
* Toronto Maple Leafs in the AHL and ECHL.

Jul 6, 2016

TR is 60 minutes from MTL or Laval...

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Hudon-Suzuki-Belzile
Deslauriers-Evans-Peca
Teasdale-Poehling-Weise
Verbeek-Vejdemo-Alain

That's an AHL championship lineup for the forwards. The defense should be a lot better with Brook added also.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hopefully we can stack Trois-Rivières like the Leafs stacked the Growlers.

I share the same opinion as you on that. And I get the feeling the Habs will follow the same format. Despite not having an official ECHL affiliate this season, I feel they used it a lot more than in years past.

Martineau, Marcoux, Melancon, Adams-Moisan, Culkin, Verbeek, Waked, Pezzetta. They even sent McNiven down for one game. They sent Moravcik for a few games before they terminated his contract. Same in Addison's case. He refused to report but they intended to send him to the ECHL.

So if Trois-Rivières does indeed become Habs' ECHL affiliate, I feel they will stock it up with a lot of AHL contracted players. They even signed a lot of players to AHL deals last off-season.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

Hudon-Suzuki-Belzile
Deslauriers-Evans-Peca
Teasdale-Poehling-Weise
Verbeek-Vejdemo-Alain

That's an AHL championship lineup for the forwards. The defense should be a lot better with Brook added also.

That forward group would not even qualify for the playoffs more than likely.

You don't win in the AHL with a bunch of rookies and a few veterans. You need some 3rd or 4th year AHL players or guys with experience in Euro leagues that don't qualify as veterans, look at the Leaf signings every year if you want to see how it is done on the Marlies, a contender every year.

The 4 veteran spots out of 6 total for the team used on forwards are wasted on players who are done or have little offense to offer to a team starved for that. Hudon and Peca may help at that level but Deslauriers and Weise are a waste, you need to aim much higher in your signings.

Belzile is a 27 yr old career ECHL player that didn't do enough in the AHL to warrant a return unless it is a two-way AHL contract and he can be used as a call-up.

The 4th line has 3 guys who have done little to show they deserve those spots, potential yes, but you need to surround them with more proven players and let them earn their places or start a couple in the ECHL and let them get experience at a level more suited to where they are currently in their play. There is a huge difference between players with an NHL future and guys whose ceiling is probably the AHL, and the way you need to treat and develop them. These free wallet signings like Waked, and Verbeek need to be treated as a lottery ticket, not as starters unless they earn it.

if you want a chance to win, you need to surround Hudon, Suzuki, Evans, Peca, Teasdale, Poehling, and Alain with at least 5 very good AHL forwards, 2 veterans and at least 3 experienced players who do not count in the 6 player veteran allotment.

On defense they need help as well with at least one non veteran that can run a PP, if you re-sign the captain and have him and Alzner take the last 2 veteran spots.

Every year we look at he potential line-up and think they will do better, and they don't. It is the composition of the roster, more than the coaching that needs a huge improvement and financial commitment from the Habs if it is going to change, and let the true prospects develop in a winning environment and from veterans that can teach them something about both hockey and being professionals.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That forward group would not even qualify for the playoffs more than likely.

You don't win in the AHL with a bunch of rookies and a few veterans. You need some 3rd or 4th year AHL players or guys with experience in Euro leagues that don't qualify as veterans, look at the Leaf signings every year if you want to see how it is done on the Marlies, a contender every year.

The 4 veteran spots out of 6 total for the team used on forwards are wasted on players who are done or have little offense to offer to a team starved for that. Hudon and Peca may help at that level but Deslauriers and Weise are a waste, you need to aim much higher in your signings.

Both Weise and Deslauriers are 2nd line at the AHL level both going over 0.5 ppg at the AHL level last time they were there for a significant time (several years ago). They would be great AHL signings. It stinks that Weise has a 2m+ cap hit but he's a fine AHL player.

Belzile is a 27 yr old career ECHL player that didn't do enough in the AHL to warrant a return unless it is a two-way AHL contract and he can be used as a call-up.

That proves you haven't paid any attention to the AHL last year. Belzile was their best player once Agostino left (Froese included). He's definitely a top 6 AHL guy. Of course he's 99% not gonna get an NHL deal, but he's 100% worth a high salary AHL contract.
The 4th line has 3 guys who have done little to show they deserve those spots, potential yes, but you need to surround them with more proven players and let them earn their places or start a couple in the ECHL and let them get experience at a level more suited to where they are currently in their play. There is a huge difference between players with an NHL future and guys whose ceiling is probably the AHL, and the way you need to treat and develop them. These free wallet signings like Waked, and Verbeek need to be treated as a lottery ticket, not as starters unless they earn it.

Again, you show you don't seem to have watched Laval at all. Alain and Vejdemo are definitely AHL players and not the 4th line filler kind.
if you want a chance to win, you need to surround Hudon, Suzuki, Evans, Peca, Teasdale, Poehling, and Alain with at least 5 very good AHL forwards, 2 veterans and at least 3 experienced players who do not count in the 6 player veteran allotment.

On defense they need help as well with at least one non veteran that can run a PP, if you re-sign the captain and have him and Alzner take the last 2 veteran spots.

Every year we look at he potential line-up and think they will do better, and they don't. It is the composition of the roster, more than the coaching that needs a huge improvement and financial commitment from the Habs if it is going to change, and let the true prospects develop in a winning environment and from veterans that can teach them something about both hockey and being professionals.

If Hudon, Peca and Deslauriers make it down waiver, this is better than last year line-up vet wise (Hudon over Agostino, Peca over Froese, Deslauriers over Chaput) and prospect wise (Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, Primeau), which should mean PO unless we lose all the vets like last year.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Both Weise and Deslauriers are 2nd line at the AHL level both going over 0.5 ppg at the AHL level last time they were there for a significant time (several years ago). They would be great AHL signings. It stinks that Weise has a 2m+ cap hit but he's a fine AHL player.

That proves you haven't paid any attention to the AHL last year. Belzile was their best player once Agostino left (Froese included). He's definitely a top 6 AHL guy. Of course he's 99% not gonna get an NHL deal, but he's 100% worth a high salary AHL contract.

Again, you show you don't seem to have watched Laval at all. Alain and Vejdemo are definitely AHL players and not the 4th line filler kind.

If Hudon, Peca and Deslauriers make it down waiver, this is better than last year line-up vet wise (Hudon over Agostino, Peca over Froese, Deslauriers over Chaput) and prospect wise (Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, Primeau), which should mean PO unless we lose all the vets like last year.

Your standards must be pretty low if you want Weise who is done at any level, Deslauriers who looked awful last year taking up two spots on the top lines that should be occupied by PPG veteran players. Belzile is nothing special even when given all the opportunities after the vets were promoted or traded. 59 points might get him a contract only because at 27 he hasn't played enough games AHL/NHL to be considered as a vet. Alain and Vejdemo's 28 and 29 points just screams top 6 players to you? Alain was playing on the top lines for a good chunk of the season until Bouchard also realized he was useless and demoted him.

My point is that we need to stop settling for mediocre players to sign for Laval, and instead get the best ones available. Money and roster spots have to be committed to this if you want to win and develop the real prospects that will be playing there. To me it appears the organization sees Laval as an afterthought instead of the priority it should be. It can't be the place Bergevin dumps his bad contracts, takes up most of the 6 veteran spots with them, and hopes for the best.

You can't count on the rookies hitting Laval this year to carry the team offensively, there is a learning curve to consider. That is the job of your veteran signings! The offense and PP were horrific last year and unless there is a huge improvement it will be tough to compete with the teams that can score.

Perhaps a GM full-time would make a difference as well in scouting and recruiting players from all the leagues like CHL andNCAA undrafted,ECHL,AHL and overseas FA's. The amateur scouts probably don't pay much attention once they pass draft age. Add more pro scouts if needed for this, but we shouldn't be missing out on someone who can help the team, we have the money, so use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad