2018-19 Laval Rocket & ECHL Thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Your standards must be pretty low if you want Weise who is done at any level, Deslauriers who looked awful last year taking up two spots on the top lines that should be occupied by PPG veteran players. Belzile is nothing special even when given all the opportunities after the vets were promoted or traded. 59 points might get him a contract only because at 27 he hasn't played enough games AHL/NHL to be considered as a vet. Alain and Vejdemo's 28 and 29 points just screams top 6 players to you? Alain was playing on the top lines for a good chunk of the season until Bouchard also realized he was useless and demoted him.

My point is that we need to stop settling for mediocre players to sign for Laval, and instead get the best ones available. Money and roster spots have to be committed to this if you want to win and develop the real prospects that will be playing there. To me it appears the organization sees Laval as an afterthought instead of the priority it should be. It can't be the place Bergevin dumps his bad contracts, takes up most of the 6 veteran spots with them, and hopes for the best.

You can't count on the rookies hitting Laval this year to carry the team offensively, there is a learning curve to consider. That is the job of your veteran signings! The offense and PP were horrific last year and unless there is a huge improvement it will be tough to compete with the teams that can score.

Perhaps a GM full-time would make a difference as well in scouting and recruiting players from all the leagues like CHL andNCAA undrafted,ECHL,AHL and overseas FA's. The amateur scouts probably don't pay much attention once they pass draft age. Add more pro scouts if needed for this, but we shouldn't be missing out on someone who can help the team, we have the money, so use it.

If you say so.

Reactions: MD thaivuN

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
That forward group would not even qualify for the playoffs more than likely.

You don't win in the AHL with a bunch of rookies and a few veterans. You need some 3rd or 4th year AHL players or guys with experience in Euro leagues that don't qualify as veterans, look at the Leaf signings every year if you want to see how it is done on the Marlies, a contender every year.

The 4 veteran spots out of 6 total for the team used on forwards are wasted on players who are done or have little offense to offer to a team starved for that. Hudon and Peca may help at that level but Deslauriers and Weise are a waste, you need to aim much higher in your signings.

Belzile is a 27 yr old career ECHL player that didn't do enough in the AHL to warrant a return unless it is a two-way AHL contract and he can be used as a call-up.

The 4th line has 3 guys who have done little to show they deserve those spots, potential yes, but you need to surround them with more proven players and let them earn their places or start a couple in the ECHL and let them get experience at a level more suited to where they are currently in their play. There is a huge difference between players with an NHL future and guys whose ceiling is probably the AHL, and the way you need to treat and develop them. These free wallet signings like Waked, and Verbeek need to be treated as a lottery ticket, not as starters unless they earn it.

if you want a chance to win, you need to surround Hudon, Suzuki, Evans, Peca, Teasdale, Poehling, and Alain with at least 5 very good AHL forwards, 2 veterans and at least 3 experienced players who do not count in the 6 player veteran allotment.

On defense they need help as well with at least one non veteran that can run a PP, if you re-sign the captain and have him and Alzner take the last 2 veteran spots.

Every year we look at he potential line-up and think they will do better, and they don't. It is the composition of the roster, more than the coaching that needs a huge improvement and financial commitment from the Habs if it is going to change, and let the true prospects develop in a winning environment and from veterans that can teach them something about both hockey and being professionals.

Yeah like Bah Humbug!!!... Call Bergevin see if you can get the Associate General Manager job. Then sign the maximum allowed best veterans, to add on to Deslaurier & Hudon. I forget how many it's been awhile since I bought the AHL TV package.( poor video they had.) I do know how AHL teams are built though. The HAB's AHL have been poor since Price led them to the championship. Before that the Nova Scotia Voyageurs with Larry Robinson in the 70's were champs, over three decades since our farm teams were good.:help::help::help: Hopefully McCarron, Evans, Hudon, Brook, Fleury, Weise can help Bouchard reach the playoffs in his 2nd year as coach. Ikonen could be another playmaking center.
Highly unlikely that Poehling or Suzuki will be in Laval at all, Lernout & McCarron will be in their fourth years, veterans despite injuries. The Rocket may surprise people, the Habs use the farm team strictly to have prospects playing their weaknesses to develop. Not playing to their strength's as one would expect, therefore opponents expose those weaknesses and the Rocket miss the playoff's regularly. With strong goaltending Cayden Primeau may lead the team to a much better record. Like Price & Halak did when they were champs.:devdance::devdance::devdance:Don't bet the farm on it though, LOL.

The Habs have finally added enough quality depth and young draft picks to stock their farm team. These prospects will finally have steady icetime in the AHL without being bounced around between leagues. With top notch coaches to develop them like elite teams have been doing for years. Habs farm team was badly neglected for two decades, last season was Bouchard's first as coach adding his people to assist. The team will be far more consistent with coaching personnel & prospects that know what to expect and have a solid system. Bouchard is well known for his work developing young players in the QMJHL. I actually feel confident that the new coaches along with a high content of drafted prospects and a handful of veterans can be successful. Particularly now that the Habs depth is solid, meaning the prospects will have a full season to play as a team. Consistency will be built having consistent linemates and defence pairings with high level goaltending, they are an AHL team not an NHL team. If in fact Suzuki & Poehling play in Laval they will light up their opponents, they are high end players that should be breaking into the NHL IMHO!!!...

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah like Bah Humbug!!!... Call Bergevin see if you can get the Associate General Manager job. Then sign the maximum allowed best veterans, to add on to Deslaurier & Hudon. I forget how many it's been awhile since I bought the AHL TV package.( poor video they had.) I do know how AHL teams are built though. The HAB's AHL have been poor since Price led them to the championship. Before that the Nova Scotia Voyageurs with Larry Robinson in the 70's were champs, over three decades since our farm teams were good.:help::help::help: Hopefully McCarron, Evans, Hudon, Brook, Fleury, Weise can help Bouchard reach the playoffs in his 2nd year as coach. Ikonen could be another playmaking center.
Highly unlikely that Poehling or Suzuki will be in Laval at all, Lernout & McCarron will be in their fourth years, veterans despite injuries. The Rocket may surprise people, the Habs use the farm team strictly to have prospects playing their weaknesses to develop. Not playing to their strength's as one would expect, therefore opponents expose those weaknesses and the Rocket miss the playoff's regularly. With strong goaltending Cayden Primeau may lead the team to a much better record. Like Price & Halak did when they were champs.:devdance::devdance::devdance:Don't bet the farm on it though, LOL.

The Habs have finally added enough quality depth and young draft picks to stock their farm team. These prospects will finally have steady icetime in the AHL without being bounced around between leagues. With top notch coaches to develop them like elite teams have been doing for years. Habs farm team was badly neglected for two decades, last season was Bouchard's first as coach adding his people to assist. The team will be far more consistent with coaching personnel & prospects that know what to expect and have a solid system. Bouchard is well known for his work developing young players in the QMJHL. I actually feel confident that the new coaches along with a high content of drafted prospects and a handful of veterans can be successful. Particularly now that the Habs depth is solid, meaning the prospects will have a full season to play as a team. Consistency will be built having consistent linemates and defence pairings with high level goaltending, they are an AHL team not an NHL team. If in fact Suzuki & Poehling play in Laval they will light up their opponents, they are high end players that should be breaking into the NHL IMHO!!!...

I'd be surprised if both Poehling and Suzuki make the Habs, if any. Ikonen is 99% staying in Europe. I don't see Lernout returning unless we don't keep Olofsson.

Reactions: S Bah

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I'd be surprised if both Poehling and Suzuki make the Habs, if any. Ikonen is 99% staying in Europe. I don't see Lernout returning unless we don't keep Olofsson.

I would be pleasantly surprised if they both make it. Like you say Ikonen will be in Finland playing out his contract, unless he surprises all of us and makes the Habs. With at least ten dmen fighting for jobs in Laval nobody's job is secure, it's the AHL after all. The best players in exhibition & training camp will get their chance with Bouchard as coach, hard work with better play will earn a job. Less than that will get a ECHL tryout or waived completely, as it should be in every professional team AHL or not. Lernout will have to come in the best shape of his career or he will be shown the dòor.
This is why I feel optimistic that Laval will be a much improved team starting next season, so many good young prospects that want to impress and steal a job in Montreal, which is their goal or should be.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think me 2 that they should go after AHL veteran to help our young players. Guys like:

J-S Dea
Danick Martel
Alan Quinn
Kevin Roy
Alexandre Bolduc
Chase De Leo
Maxime Noreau

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The sad part is they had someone better then all those players listed in Carr who ripped up the AHL this year but we didn't sign him over something like 50K or so as he ended up signing for 750K. Having him on a 2 year deal would likely have put us in the playoffs this year and if you add Hudon, Weise and Peca you wouldn't really need anyone else as that would have been a very good team to mix with whatever incoming rookies are there.

I don't know how Weise will do as he had 4 pts in 6 games split between Laval and LV (flyers AHL team). I know he's slow now but so is Alzner and he's at worst a decent AHLer. That said if they bring back Hudon and can get all of Hudon, Peca and Weise it's certainly much better then they had for much of this past season. Adding a player like Terry would likely make us one of the top teams in the AHL imo.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The sad part is they had someone better then all those players listed in Carr who ripped up the AHL this year but we didn't sign him over something like 50K or so as he ended up signing for 750K. Having him on a 2 year deal would likely have put us in the playoffs this year and if you add Hudon, Weise and Peca you wouldn't really need anyone else as that would have been a very good team to mix with whatever incoming rookies are there.

I don't know how Weise will do as he had 4 pts in 6 games split between Laval and LV (flyers AHL team). I know he's slow now but so is Alzner and he's at worst a decent AHLer. That said if they bring back Hudon and can get all of Hudon, Peca and Weise it's certainly much better then they had for much of this past season. Adding a player like Terry would likely make us one of the top teams in the AHL imo.
Well, there's also Daniel Carr but if I were him I would not give Bergevin the time of day after preferring Deslauriers and Peca to him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well, there's also Daniel Carr but if I were him I would not give Bergevin the time of day after preferring Deslauriers and Peca to him.

I don't know if Carr was pissed or if Vegas will try to keep him as I would if I were them but clearly they have their cap issues to deal with. If I were MB I would be all over that, give him a Peca like contract, 2 years at 1.4M or so to play in Laval, and do the same with Hudon. Those 2 in Laval would crush it and we would finally have a top team in the AHL for those 2 years at least.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I don't know if Carr was pissed or if Vegas will try to keep him as I would if I were them but clearly they have their cap issues to deal with. If I were MB I would be all over that, give him a Peca like contract, 2 years at 1.4M or so to play in Laval, and do the same with Hudon. Those 2 in Laval would crush it and we would finally have a top team in the AHL for those 2 years at least.
Bouchard would play the situation, winning and rookie development, well IMO. I know there is a lot of excitement about our O and D rookies, but I am stoked to see what Primeau can do!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Bouchard would play the situation, winning and rookie development, well IMO. I know there is a lot of excitement about our O and D rookies, but I am stoked to see what Primeau can do!

I have Primeau as our 3rd best prospect so I'm very excited to see how he does in Laval, he's the real deal imo so I can't wait to see how good he can be.

Reactions: cphabs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The ECHL Kelly Cup Finals is set:

Newfoundland Growlers (TOR) vs. Tolledo Walleye (DET).

In Newfoundland's first season, they make the ECHL Finals.

Meanwhile, the AHL Calder Cups are still in their Conference Finals. At this moment, the series are:

Charlotte Checkers (CAR) vs. Toronto Marlies (TOR). Charlotte is up 3-2 in the series.
Chicago Wolves (VGK) vs. San Diego Gulls (ANA). The series is tied 2-2.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not that I recall, you are limited to a few vets anyway.

5 vets with 320+ games in major leagues + 1 vet exempt (Between 260-320 GP).

Right now, under contract and ended the year in Laval that count as vets:

1 - Karl Alzner: 682 (NHL) + 103 (AHL) = 785 GP
2 - Xavier Ouellet: 160 (NHL) + 183 (AHL) = 360 GP

Players with Montreal under contract next season that we can see in Laval:

1- Nicolas Deslauriers: 317 (NHL) + 207 (AHL) = 524 GP
2 - Dale Weise: 490 (NHL) + 200 (AHL) = 690 GP

Exempt
- Matthew Peca 59 (NHL) + 204 (AHL) = 263 GP

Then there are some RFAs/UFAs that may be extended that can affect the vet count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->