2018-19 Laval Rocket & ECHL Thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Call ups you're referring to?

- Kulak got called up, he earned his spot to stay in the NHL. His play recently has actually gone up a notch.

- Agostino got called up when guys like Byron and Armia were out for weeks. He did well at first. And he did well for a while. But the moment he started to show that he no longer belonged and guys slowly started returning from injuries, he had to be placed on waivers. He was claimed. Thems the breaks.

- Chaput got called up. And he cleared waivers to return to Laval. But he was traded for Jordan Weal soon afterwards. An AHL player for an NHL player who fit right in the Habs' line-up. That is a real good trade.

- Froese and Shlemko for Weise and Folin. Folin > Schlemko. Folin is younger, cheaper, shoots right, and established a spot in the NHL. Schlemko was struggling to make an impact in the AHL. Between Froese and Weise, I'd rather have Froese in the AHL than Weise in the NHL. But alas, that was the deal. Froese was an impending UFA, too.

Other than them, who else got called up and was lost in Laval?

Kulak turned out well and they replaced him with Oulette.

Agostino and Chaput shouldn't have played over Hudon, or Hudon should have been sent down, but wasn't.

They traded for Weise and Folin, habs should have left Weise down, or sent 1 of their forwards just sitting there down. They just kept picking from Laval when they didnt need to/could have replaced them. He once again left Laval to be lead by the young guys, just like he did his first season here.

I can't believe Bergevin called up hockey players from the American Hockey League.

There are players on waivers he could have used, players already with the habs he could have used, but he didn't. He took away Laval's offense/depth and let the team suck yet again.

It's amazing how many people here try to be a smartass when this team is sucking. Are you use to mediocrity, or what ? Hell, mediocrity would at least get either team into the playoffs consistently.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I wouldn't say great, but he was very good and crushed his career high of 34 pts but he wasn't even a regular in the AHL till 26. I look at guys like Terry, Agostino, Carr, as great AHLers, guys that put up 70-80 ish pts.

53 points with that team is a great feat. With a better team next year, I could see him breaking the 70 points mark or close to it.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Kulak turned out well and they replaced him with Oulette.

Agostino and Chaput shouldn't have played over Hudon, or Hudon should have been sent down, but wasn't.

They traded for Weise and Folin, habs should have left Weise down, or sent 1 of their forwards just sitting there down. They just kept picking from Laval when they didnt need to/could have replaced them. He once again left Laval to be lead by the young guys, just like he did his first season here.

Do you think Hudon would have cleared waivers? I think Peca would get claimed, too. DLR and Scherbak were claimed while sitting in the press box in Montreal.

As for Agostino and Chaput playing over Hudon. It's simple. They showed more than Hudon did when he had a chance. It's unfortunate because we're hoping Hudon took another step this year. But unfortunately, whenever given the chance, he didn't seize it. So naturally, the team will look elsewhere and Laval is first option.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
53 points with that team is a great feat. With a better team next year, I could see him breaking the 70 points mark or close to it.

If he's a 70 pt guy next year then I could call him a great AHLer. Hudon put up more points on worse teams then Belzile so it's hard for me to say he's great yet even though he was their best player this year and had a very good season.

Do you think Hudon would have cleared waivers? I think Peca would get claimed, too. DLR and Scherbak were claimed while sitting in the press box in Montreal.

As for Agostino and Chaput playing over Hudon. It's simple. They showed more than Hudon did when he had a chance. It's unfortunate because we're hoping Hudon took another step this year. But unfortunately, whenever given the chance, he didn't seize it. So naturally, the team will look elsewhere and Laval is first option.

Hudon maybe, I can only assume they couldn't get something for him but thought he would get picked.

Peca I think he clears for sure, 1.3M next year for a guy that at 25 has almost no track record in the NHL.

I don't get why they didn't pick Scherbak back off waivers, he would have been a welcome addition although I don't know what went wrong with his AHL team as his numbers suck after putting up such impressive numbers with Laval on such a terrible team.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
View attachment 209763
D3efvGtWkAEDAgV.jpg

Final home game of the season. Work gave me tickets to the game. After watching this team for two years, I will finally get to go watch them live. It's a shame they are decimated by injuries and some of the key players I wanted to watch won't be playing. But it will be fun, nonetheless.​

So our Rocket correspondent will be reporting "live"? Have a good evening!

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
If he's a 70 pt guy next year then I could call him a great AHLer. Hudon put up more points on worse teams then Belzile so it's hard for me to say he's great yet even though he was their best player this year and had a very good season.

Hudon maybe, I can only assume they couldn't get something for him but thought he would get picked.

Peca I think he clears for sure, 1.3M next year for a guy that at 25 has almost no track record in the NHL.

I don't get why they didn't pick Scherbak back off waivers, he would have been a welcome addition although I don't know what went wrong with his AHL team as his numbers suck after putting up such impressive numbers with Laval on such a terrible team.

I don't think Bouchard liked Scherbak's effort when he was sent down for a conditioning stint, probably did not want him back since he tries to instill a hard work culture in Laval. Scherbak was just coasting, must have driven Bouchard crazy.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
After Scherbak wasn't claimed and went to the Ontario Reigns, Bouchard said they didn't like his work ethic.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So our Rocket correspondent will be reporting "live"? Have a good evening!

Fun atmosphere. A very good turnout. A lot of noise. Laval is up 1-0 after two periods on a goal by Verbeek. Assisted by Phil Hudon (on a PTO). A nice 2-on-1.

My live reports may not be the best as I'm here with my 5-year old daughter who has other plans on how to spend our time. :laugh:

She was impressed when we first got here. But after that wore off, she wanted to know if it was over and she wanted to leave.

On my trek in the parking lot, along with the pedestrians crossing the street to enter the arena were Grenier and Evans.

Reactions: Walrus26

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Fun atmosphere. A very good turnout. A lot of noise. Laval is up 1-0 after two periods on a goal by Verbeek. Assisted by Phil Hudon (on a PTO). A nice 2-on-1.

My live reports may not be the best as I'm here with my 5-year old daughter who has other plans on how to spend our time. :laugh:

She was impressed when we first got here. But after that wore off, she wanted to know if it was over and she wanted to leave.

On my trek in the parking lot, along with the pedestrians crossing the street to enter the arena were Grenier and Evans.

Sounds like the first time my younger daughter went with me and senior daughter to watch Crystal Palace. Novelty factor lasted for about the first 15 minutes of the match......senior daughter was onto her second round of referee and away team player abuse (11 year old standard abuse before you ask) by then, so little one had to put up with both of us not pandering to her whims :)

Good luck Dad.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think Bouchard liked Scherbak's effort when he was sent down for a conditioning stint, probably did not want him back since he tries to instill a hard work culture in Laval. Scherbak was just coasting, must have driven Bouchard crazy.

After Scherbak wasn't claimed and went to the Ontario Reigns, Bouchard said they didn't like his work ethic.

Would think he would have wanted the challenge to get him going. But something was wrong with him as his numbers in the AHL this year were terrible.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I'll miss them. It's a huge difference of all the crapness during Lefebvre's reign.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Dale Weise must be AHL bound to start next season I would tend to believe. He is very fringe, we are lacking roster spots and he is going to clear waivers for sure. Decent call-up that you can bounce up and down if injuries happen.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dale Weise must be AHL bound to start next season I would tend to believe. He is very fringe, we are lacking roster spots and he is going to clear waivers for sure. Decent call-up that you can bounce up and down if injuries happen.

for sure he will very likely be in Laval next year, would think he will help the young forwards and put up some points.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The NHL road is way away for Weise.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
His work ethic was more on video games and instagram with his instababe lol

Just an observation from a very small same size.

We well know that TT and crew are big on the gym. Im sure all teams are for obvious reasons, but we hear about it quite a bit.

I remeber seeing Leblanc in a picture with a few other prospects in shorts. Other guys were solid, Leblanc looked like a regular high school teen, just awful. Similarly Scherbak just did not look that strong.

One approach would be "wow, this kid clearly does not work out that much yet he does real well in junior, lets pick him because imagine how he will be when he does work out ". Or " if the mid doesnt work out it means something and its unlikely to change ". Think Habs have adopted second approach.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

We well know that TT and crew are big on the gym. Im sure all teams are for obvious reasons, but we hear about it quite a bit.

I remeber seeing Leblanc in a picture with a few other prospects in shorts. Other guys were solid, Leblanc looked like a regular high school teen, just awful. Similarly Scherbak just did not look that strong.

One approach would be "wow, this kid clearly does not work out that much yet he does real well in junior, lets pick him because imagine how he will be when he does work out ". Or " if the mid doesnt work out it means something and its unlikely to change ". Think Habs have adopted second approach.
Tbh, I think more often than not we've drafted fitness freaks (Lernout, Mac, Galchenyuk). But yeah I know what pic you're talking about he was with C Thomas and St Pierre.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

I agree. When they selected poehling. I dif not made a personnal interview with him but i saw rapidly that this guy is a hockey player. I looked him last summer. He was only 19 but he looked like a man around kid. Scherbak looked like a kid who just enjoy his skill without working... so this is a picture very simple, but it was my impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad