2018-19 Calder Trophy Contenders

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
I have a feeling Pettersson might be this years Clayton Keller, strong start but cooling off a bit. Will someone else up the ante like Brock Boeser did last year until mid season when he slightly regressed. Or, will Brady continue to impress consistantly to take the Calder?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have a feeling Pettersson might be this years Clayton Keller, strong start but cooling off a bit. Will someone else up the ante like Brock Boeser did last year until mid season when he slightly regressed. Or, will Brady continue to impress consistantly to take the Calder?
Pettersen isn't going to shoot what he shot, and he doesn't have the high-end linemates to carry him when he's off. I'm not sure Keller is the right comparable. The season will always have ebs and flows. Its rare for a guy to stay hot for an entire year. Tkachuk isn't going to keep this up either.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Pettersen isn't going to shoot what he shot, and he doesn't have the high-end linemates to carry him when he's off. I'm not sure Keller is the right comparable. The season will always have ebs and flows. Its rare for a guy to stay hot for an entire year. Tkachuk isn't going to keep this up either.
Subtlest of jabs at Brock Boeser haha

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
You're not a fan yourself?

Its a 3 headed race at most because Pettersson and Tkachuk lead Dahlin, and Heiskanen is behind Dahlin. I watch the Stars fairly often, Heiskanen has been great stepping up with all the injuries, but you're not going to accidentally mistake him for Dahlin out there...

In your eyes, what has Dahlin been better at exactly? Assuming you've watched the majority of Heiskanen's games so far. Which is unlikely but still.

All I can think of is that he's a fancier and more physical on a better team. That's about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CP4

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

What kinda makes Tkachuks scoring more sustainable is that he’s a garbage man and always around the net. He doesn’t need to create like Pettersson does, so he likely won’t have the same slumps.

Reactions: AmericanDream

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
In your eyes, what has Dahlin been better at exactly? Assuming you've watched the majority of Heiskanen's games so far. Which is unlikely but still.
I hope you realize how ridiculous of a parameter this is. It's only useful for trying to attack the credibility of people who disagree with you. The only people who watch a majority of a given team's games are the fans of that team. So you're basically saying someone's opinion on Heiskanen is less credible if they're not a Dallas fan. No one buys that.

All I can think of is that he's a fancier and more physical on a better team. That's about it.
Fancier? He's not fancier...that's more his reputation that anything I think. I can't imagine watching the two, walking away and thinking Dahlin is fancier.

Breakout passing for one. Better at holding it in for two. Physical plays and winning battles. People think physicality and they think hits, but it's so much more and especially for a defenseman. He's a better passer on special teams, head-fake move he does all the time. Heiskanen is great at stepping up in the zone, he's faster so he carries it in himself a lot. He's got a great wrist shot. Heiskanen plays like a veteran with the puck on his stick, which I think has a soothing quality for his teammates. I like Heiskanen. But of course Dahlin can carry it up himself or step up in the zone too, you know that, you probably know him for that. Heiskanen is sexier, but Dahlin can do most of what Heiskanen do offensively and is just a more well-rounded player.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I hope you realize how ridiculous of a parameter this is. It's only useful for trying to attack the credibility of people who disagree with you. The only people who watch a majority of a given team's games are the fans of that team. So you're basically saying someone's opinion on Heiskanen is less credible if they're not a Dallas fan. No one buys that.

Fancier? He's not fancier...that's more his reputation that anything I think. I can't imagine watching the two, walking away and thinking Dahlin is fancier.

Breakout passing for one. Better at holding it in for two. Physical plays and winning battles. People think physicality and they think hits, but it's so much more and especially for a defenseman. He's a better passer on special teams, head-fake move he does all the time. Heiskanen is great at stepping up in the zone, he's faster so he carries it in himself a lot. He's got a great wrist shot. Heiskanen plays like a veteran with the puck on his stick, which I think has a soothing quality for his teammates. I like Heiskanen. But of course Dahlin can carry it up himself or step up in the zone too, you know that, you probably know him for that. Heiskanen is sexier, but Dahlin can do most of what Heiskanen do offensively and is just a more well-rounded player.

By fancy I mean dangling and things like that. Dahlin plays a very similar risky offensive game to John Klingberg. Also it's not ridiculous. If you haven't seen most of his games then you've maybe seen him play once or twice so it's not fair to judge just yet. I have managed to see all but 2 of Dahlin's games so far just for that reason. He's an outstanding player, but the gap isn't as big as people think. Heiskanen has the edge defensively right now despite Dahlin playing with a more physical style (Heiskanen himself admitted he needs to get stronger for board battles). Breakout passing I will agree with you though (Stars forwards are horrible at taking breakout passes though), and the Stars powerplay is just horrible but Miro is solid when he isn't with the first unit and married to passing to Seguin. As of right now, I don't see any reason Dahlin is more Calder worthy than Heiskanen though. The difference is minimal at most if at all

Last edited:
Reactions: ImNeverWrong

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
By fancy I mean dangling and things like that. Dahlin plays a very similar risky offensive game to John Klingberg. Also it's not ridiculous. If you haven't seen most of his games then you've maybe seen him play once or twice so it's not fair to judge just yet. I have managed to see all but 2 of Dahlin's games so far just for that reason. He's an outstanding player, but the gap isn't as big as people think. Heiskanen has the edge defensively right now despite Dahlin playing with a more physical style (Heiskanen himself admitted he needs to get stronger for board battles). Breakout passing I will agree with you though (Stars forwards are horrible at taking breakout passes though), and the Stars powerplay is just horrible but Miro is solid when he isn't with the first unit and married to passing to Seguin. As of right now, I don't see any reason Dahlin is more Calder worthy than Heiskanen though. The difference is minimal at most if at all
I've watched like 5 games, but I can't always watch the whole game, depends on when I get home. I also like watching different teams each night. You feel free to do you, but I'm not going to watch dozens of games on DVR just so that I can argue with people on HF.

I think Dahlin is better defensively than you might give him credit for, but I've already said my piece and I respect yours.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
You're not a fan yourself?

Its a 3 headed race at most because Pettersson and Tkachuk lead Dahlin, and Heiskanen is behind Dahlin. I watch the Stars fairly often, Heiskanen has been great stepping up with all the injuries, but you're not going to accidentally mistake him for Dahlin out there...
You need to watch Dallas games... Heiskanen has been every bit as good as Dahlin. Dahlin has a slight production edge right now but Miro has a slight defensive edge.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

No he is saying your opinion on Heiskanen is less credible because you arent watching him play not because you arent a Stars fan. He has been our best D since Klingberg has been out and if your turned on the TV for any other moment other than MacKinnon teaching him a lesson about incredible outside speed you would see a 19 year old shutting down some serious talent.

As to the second bolded I think you have the names switched lol... No one has ever called Miro a sexier player than Dahlin. Its always been the opposite. Just about everyone agrees Dahlin has the offensive edge but Miro is showing he isnt far behind while being the more well-rounded Dman. Its basically pick one: A little more offence or a little better defence but both are more than capable in both ends

Reactions: Kcb12345

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
If Boeser can stay healthy, EP should finish PPG. When he was out it was painful watching some of the lack of finish by his linemates.

If EP can finish PPG the Calder should be his.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I see no reason why Tkachuk can't keep this up or something close to it. He plays the game a different way, he doesn't rely on teammates for points, he crashes nets, works in front of the goal and generates a lot of his own chances...of course he needs to be paired with some talent and as long as he maintains playing in the top 6, I think this will be a 2 horse race between him and Pettersen..

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I see no reason why Tkachuk can't keep this up or something close to it. He plays the game a different way, he doesn't rely on teammates for points, he crashes nets, works in front of the goal and generates a lot of his own chances...of course he needs to be paired with some talent and as long as he maintains playing in the top 6, I think this will be a 2 horse race between him and Pettersen..
Pettersson, he's not danish.

Anyway, it's not like Pettersson is relying on teammates when he started off(and produced tons) with Eriksson & Goldobin I believe.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
If Boeser can stay healthy, EP should finish PPG. When he was out it was painful watching some of the lack of finish by his linemates.

If EP can finish PPG the Calder should be his.

Just comes down to health. I still think EP plays a dangerous game and is always so close to getting rocked. If he can stay healthy it's his.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
In my opinion on the Hesikanen/Dahlin debate I think that they are similar but I give the edge to Heiskanen because of experience and his deployment. He seems to be taking over the stars team right now and could very well be their captain one day. Dahlin might be captain material one day but I doubt he gets it from Eichel. Heiskanen to me just seems more calm in his game, not that Dahlin isn't, its just Miro has so much poise beyond his years its unreal. I see these two battling for many Norris trophies in the near future.

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
I really dont understand why everyones hyping heiskanen as a potential calder candidate right now. I honestly cant remember the last time a player won without putting up the needed points. I get it, his underlying stats rock, his defense is elite, and he plays all situations and logs big minutes. But once again, these things dont win the calder!! These calder voters, by the end of the year, will look at offensive production as by far the biggest contributor for who wins the calder like every other year! Unless heiskanen picks up his offense, i still have dahlin, EP40, and tkachuk as the 3 frontrunners right now.

And as a nucks fan, i hate to admit it, but theres really no gap at all between these 3. They all play the game differently and do it well. Itll come down to injuries and whoever can go on a huge hot streak sometime in the 2nd half, because right now i see all 3 are only just gettinf better and have been pretty consistent

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00