2018-19 Calder Trophy Contenders

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
He didn’t really make me go ”wow” yesterday. He was pretty invisible in mu opinion and did nothing special. Was that an off-game for him?

Also correct me if I am wrong but isn’t it 5 games and three points?

He played great yesterday.
I watched the Kings network and they showed a ton of isolated highlights of Dahlin and how swift and elusive he is. Jumped up into the Ozone multiple times.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He didn’t really make me go ”wow” yesterday. He was pretty invisible in mu opinion and did nothing special. Was that an off-game for him?

Also correct me if I am wrong but isn’t it 5 games and three points?
18 year old defenseman we're talking about. thats pretty good and yes its expected to have down games.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
He played great yesterday.
I watched the Kings network and they showed a ton of isolated highlights of Dahlin and how swift and elusive he is. Jumped up into the Ozone multiple times.
Yeah, he really did not still ”wow” me but maybe that’s just me.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah anyways I do believe Tkachuk has been better, and I wont be alone on that
Trust me, you’re alone in that thinking.

Make a poll if you don’t believe me. Actions speak louder than words. It’ll be a blowout in favour of Pettersson.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Come to Canada, its legal here now :nod:

Yeah anyways I do believe Tkachuk has been better, and I wont be alone on that. IF he slows down offensively then it gets much harder, but we havent seen that yet.
This is like deja vu all over again with Lazar and Horvat. You’re out to lunch on this one as well.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
There go Tkachuk's Calder chances. Shame, he had a decent enough shot.

I think Cholowksi is the only rookie in the west with a good chance, outside of Pettersson.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Come to Canada, its legal here now :nod:

Yeah anyways I do believe Tkachuk has been better, and I wont be alone on that. IF he slows down offensively then it gets much harder, but we havent seen that yet.

You will be, make a poll, ya boi Brady will get destroyed

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You will be, make a poll, ya boi Brady will get destroyed

Lol.

Anyways, looks like this in not as one sided fpr Petersson as some of the posters in here made it out to be. Ive been saying since game 7 that Brady has a very legit shot at the Calder this year.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Dynamic has changed though. At one point it was a run away for pettersson. He has cooled off substantially while others have heated up... Today it would be considered tight IMO

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Dahlin
Tkachuk
Pettersson

Three horse race really. If Dahlin is playing 22 minutes a night and puts up 40 points the others would need to be over 70 points.

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
I'd think the part that (at least currently) would put EP still ahead is the fact hes leading his team in pts and his quality of linemates. But really this is wide open.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Isn’t it already pretty obvious that Gritty is gonna get the Calder? But in all serious Pettersson is getting the Calder no doubt.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Dahlin
Tkachuk
Pettersson

Three horse race really. If Dahlin is playing 22 minutes a night and puts up 40 points the others would need to be over 70 points.
I hope thats just the way listed them and not how you rank them. I don't see how Pettersson is suddenly third unless this is you just being a Buffalo fan and pumping Dahlins tires. Hes been good this year don't get me wrong but Pettersson, and even Tkachuk have been on a different level.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
100% but that’s the reality. But honestly Aaron Ekblad won playing D in Florida...
Against an exciting 60 point player in a Canadian market (although he was a late-round pick with less hype entering the year) and another 60 point winger in a Canadian market.

Market, pre-season/draft hype, team performance, and counting stats all play a factor. I don't think Heiskanen is hurt that much by playing in Dallas, because one, historically market while a factor isn't huge, and two which rookie is excelling in a major market? I guess you could say Van for Pettersson, but its still a west-coast one.

What will hurt Heiskanen is he doesn't have great traditional counting stats, and that he entered the year with a hype, but less than someone like Dahlin.

But, honestly, how many times in the last decade have they really gotten the Calder wrong. Maybe Ekblad over Gaudreau. But, you can't really argue with the Barzal, Matthews, Panarin (unless you ignore injury), and MacKinnon wins. The shortened season had no truly dominate rookies, and Huberdeau won a close year. You could argue RNH over Landeskog, but Landeskog team making such a leap forward got him it. Skinner outscored everyone. Myers put up huge numbers for a rookie defender.

Looking at the Calder historically, most defenders who win, have had trouble replicating their seasons and really didn't have elite careers. The last 3 guys to win are Ekblad, Myers and Barrett Jackman. The last truly elite defender to win it was Brian Leetch in 1989. Berard won it in 97, and it would be interesting to see how he played if he didn't lose vision in one eye.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Against an exciting 60 point player in a Canadian market (although he was a late-round pick with less hype entering the year) and another 60 point winger in a Canadian market.

Market, pre-season/draft hype, team performance, and counting stats all play a factor. I don't think Heiskanen is hurt that much by playing in Dallas, because one, historically market while a factor isn't huge, and two which rookie is excelling in a major market? I guess you could say Van for Pettersson, but its still a west-coast one.

What will hurt Heiskanen is he doesn't have great traditional counting stats, and that he entered the year with a hype, but less than someone like Dahlin.

But, honestly, how many times in the last decade have they really gotten the Calder wrong. Maybe Ekblad over Gaudreau. But, you can't really argue with the Barzal, Matthews, Panarin (unless you ignore injury), and MacKinnon wins. The shortened season had no truly dominate rookies, and Huberdeau won a close year. You could argue RNH over Landeskog, but Landeskog team making such a leap forward got him it. Skinner outscored everyone. Myers put up huge numbers for a rookie defender.

Looking at the Calder historically, most defenders who win, have had trouble replicating their seasons and really didn't have elite careers. The last 3 guys to win are Ekblad, Myers and Barrett Jackman. The last truly elite defender to win it was Brian Leetch in 1989. Berard won it in 97, and it would be interesting to see how he played if he didn't lose vision in one eye.

My point was directed at fans. While I do think Elias Pettersson is leading the race; it's ignorant to say it's a three-headed race between only Dahlin, Tkachuk and Pettersson.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
My point was directed at fans. While I do think Elias Pettersson is leading the race; it's ignorant to say it's a three-headed race between only Dahlin, Tkachuk and Pettersson.
You're not a fan yourself?

Its a 3 headed race at most because Pettersson and Tkachuk lead Dahlin, and Heiskanen is behind Dahlin. I watch the Stars fairly often, Heiskanen has been great stepping up with all the injuries, but you're not going to accidentally mistake him for Dahlin out there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad