2018-19 Calder Trophy Contenders

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
What are we looking out for again? Funny you mentioned Vaak and Donato...

Brady Tkachuk would have been in it if not for the injury.

If Brady only misses a month (say 10-15 games), I could still see him winning. Ive never seen 19 year old with the presence of mind to be able to play so well in front of the net before, along with the strength to do it with ease.

He's years ahead of where he should be, and while we knew he that quite possibly the most NHL ready, we had no idea he was going to step on the ice and play like a fully matured elite PWF on day #1.

Lajoie from Ottawa would be a huge darkhorse, but if anyone's seen Ottawa's games this year, its certainly not looking like a fluke that he has 7pts/7gp as a rookie dman (4 of them goals) while playing 20+ mins a game, and solid d.

Reactions: Critical91

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
If Brady only misses a month (say 10-15 games), I could still see him winning. Ive never seen 19 year old with the presence of mind to be able to play so well in front of the net before, along with the strength to do it with ease.

He's years ahead of where he should be, and while we knew he that quite possibly the most NHL ready, we had no idea he was going to step on the ice and play like a fully matured elite PWF on day #1.

Lajoie from Ottawa would be a huge darkhorse, but if anyone's seen Ottawa's games this year, its certainly not looking like a fluke that he has 7pts/7gp as a rookie dman (4 of them goals) while playing 20+ mins a game, and solid d.
Highly unlikely Tkachuk wins it as he's going to play what, 70 games? I think he'll get around 45-50 points in those 70 games. Not enough.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Highly unlikely Tkachuk wins it as he's going to play what, 70 games? I think he'll get around 45-50 points in those 70 games. Not enough.

Wanna make a friendly bet that this is not going to be Peterrson's last trip to the IR this year? Thats a slight, lean little boy trying to survive in a man's league. Its only a matter of time before he gets hurt again imo.

Tkachuk's game is so much more robust than Petterson's, and he was easily the better player up until he was injured. As long as the points continue to flow for Tkachuk when he gets back, it will be very difficult to argue against him.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Wanna make a friendly bet that this is not going to be Peterrson's last trip to the IR this year? Thats a slight, lean little boy trying to survive in a man's league. Its only a matter of time before he gets hurt again imo.

Tkachuk's game is so much more robust than Petterson's, and he was easily the better player up until he was injured. As long as the points continue to flow for Tkachuk when he gets back, it will be very difficult to argue against him.
Tkachuk was not better than Pettersson. Not sure if you've seen Pettersson, to make a claim like this.

And Tkachuk has as much a chance of getting injured again, with the game he plays.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Tkachuk was not better than Pettersson. Not sure if you've seen Pettersson, to make a claim like this.

He really was though. He brings so much more to the table than points. Petterson would have to be putting up far more points than Brady to make a case for himself.

Petersson has been dynamic offensively, but cant hold a candle to Brady in terms of his complete game or intensity level. Brady was literally playing like one of, if not the best PWF in the league in his first 6 games.

Not too mention that he's just a bigger personality all over the ice and bench, his presence is felt at all times.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

You think Tkatchuk has been better than Pettersson?

Jeez, can I have some of what you're on?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
He really was though. He brings so much more to the table than points. Petterson would have to be putting up far more points than Brady to make a case for himself.

Petersson has been dynamic offensively, but cant hold a candle to Brady in terms of his complete game or intensity level. Brady was literally playing like one of, if not the best PWF in the league in his first 6 games.

Not too mention that he's just a bigger personality all over the ice and bench, his presence is felt at all times.
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree then. Pettersson >> Tkachuk to me and I'm no fan of either team.

And seeing that this is a thread about Calder trophy, I am certain that Pettersson wins it over Tkachuk, if they play the same number of games.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

Looks like you haven't seen Pettersson play at all.

We all know what hes capable of offensively, but a lot of praise has actually been his defensive prowess. Can't count the number of times hes made such great defensive plays, his overall hockey IQ far exemplifies Tkachuk's.

All of what you can say to Tkachuk, you can say the same to Pettersson and more. Maybe just not physicality aspect.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You think Tkatchuk has been better than Pettersson?

Jeez, can I have some of what you're on?

Come to Canada, its legal here now :nod:

Yeah anyways I do believe Tkachuk has been better, and I wont be alone on that. IF he slows down offensively then it gets much harder, but we havent seen that yet.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Wait... what? Seriously?

Pettersson has looked like the second coming of Datsyuk so far. The kid is absolutely unreal.

Reactions: stampedingviking

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Come to Canada, its legal here now :nod:

Yeah anyways I do believe Tkachuk has been better, and I wont be alone on that. IF he slows down offensively then it gets much harder, but we havent seen that yet.
If you start a poll on mainboards you will be proven wrong.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I would give the edge to Pettersson at this stage because of points but Dahlin has been fantastic. He is so smooth on the break out and every pass is tape to tape. 3 points in his last 4 games for an 18 year old defencemen is really solid. No real PP time yet.
I expect 15 points in his first 41 games and 25 points in the second half. If you get a chance, watch him play.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I would give the edge to Pettersson at this stage because of points but Dahlin has been fantastic. He is so smooth on the break out and every pass is tape to tape. 3 points in his last 4 games for an 18 year old defencemen is really solid. No real PP time yet.
I expect 15 points in his first 41 games and 25 points in the second half. If you get a chance, watch him play.
He didn’t really make me go ”wow” yesterday. He was pretty invisible in mu opinion and did nothing special. Was that an off-game for him?

Also correct me if I am wrong but isn’t it 5 games and three points?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad