2018-19 Calder Trophy Contenders

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Really under rated and likely not to win the calder is one Colin White...Kid has shown that he is a very solid pick

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I really dont understand why everyones hyping heiskanen as a potential calder candidate right now. I honestly cant remember the last time a player won without putting up the needed points. I get it, his underlying stats rock, his defense is elite, and he plays all situations and logs big minutes. But once again, these things dont win the calder!! These calder voters, by the end of the year, will look at offensive production as by far the biggest contributor for who wins the calder like every other year! Unless heiskanen picks up his offense, i still have dahlin, EP40, and tkachuk as the 3 frontrunners right now.

And as a nucks fan, i hate to admit it, but theres really no gap at all between these 3. They all play the game differently and do it well. Itll come down to injuries and whoever can go on a huge hot streak sometime in the 2nd half, because right now i see all 3 are only just gettinf better and have been pretty consistent

Dahlin has 3 more points than him on a much better team/offensive team. Doesn't scream more impressive and outplaying Heiskanen offensively to me. S

Reactions: CP4

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
Dahlin has 3 more points than him on a much better team/offensive team. Doesn't scream more impressive and outplaying Heiskanen offensively to me. S
since we are projecting early season projections, i can say 3 point difference in 1/3 of a season is 9-10 point difference in a full season. are you going to say that difference doesnt matter for calder nominations amongst d-men?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
since we are projecting early season projections, i can say 3 point difference in 1/3 of a season is 9-10 point difference in a full season. are you going to say that difference doesnt matter for calder nominations amongst d-men?

I'm saying all it takes is one 3 point game can change that. Way too early to go based off of just projections

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think it’s going to be a two horse race between EP and Dahlin. The best rookie forward against the best rookie defenseman. Really a tough choice as they both perform such different roles. I think probably a slight edge to Pettersson because he has so little to work with and needs to create offence on his own quite a bit. And now that Boeser is healthy EP should see his points pick up again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I think it’s going to be a two horse race between EP and Dahlin. The best rookie forward against the best rookie defenseman. Really a tough choice as they both perform such different roles. I think probably a slight edge to Pettersson because he has so little to work with and needs to create offence on his own quite a bit. And now that Boeser is healthy EP should see his points pick up again.
Tkachuk and Heiskanen are also in the race. #PetterssonForCalder

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Right now my list would be:
1: Elias Pettersson
Is producing points and has a lot of media attention bestowed upon him. Is also flashy which voters love.
2: Brady Tkachuk
Very nice production and works hard. If Stone gets traded I expect production to dip.
3: Rasmus Dahlin
With how Buffalo is playing and how steady Dahlin has been, I could see him being at the top by seasons end.
4. Colin White
Been playing well for the Sens so far. Definitely surprising many with his two way game so far.
5: Miro Heiskanen
Might end up becoming the best player in this rookie class but as previously stated. Offensive numbers aren’t there. Barret Jackman won because of his solid defencive play paired with a weak rookie class. This looks to be a strong class.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Oh come on, Tkachuk has 16 points(9 goals) in 15 games. Better PPG and GPG than Pettersson.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Right now my list would be:
1: Elias Pettersson
Is producing points and has a lot of media attention bestowed upon him. Is also flashy which voters love.
2: Brady Tkachuk
Very nice production and works hard. If Stone gets traded I expect production to dip.
3: Rasmus Dahlin
With how Buffalo is playing and how steady Dahlin has been, I could see him being at the top by seasons end.
4. Colin White
Been playing well for the Sens so far. Definitely surprising many with his two way game so far.
5: Miro Heiskanen
Might end up becoming the best player in this rookie class but as previously stated. Offensive numbers aren’t there. Barret Jackman won because of his solid defencive play paired with a weak rookie class. This looks to be a strong class.

Heiskanen has 2 points less than Dahlin and 2 more goals on a worse offensive team with almost none of it coming on the PP.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Heiskanen has 2 points less than Dahlin and 2 more goals on a worse offensive team with almost none of it coming on the PP.
I was ranking the players based on what the general perception is of rookies around the league. Let’s face reality here. Unless Heiskanen starts getting media attention, only people like us know how good Heiskanen actually is. It’s going to be difficult for a guy like him to beat out guys like Tkachuk, Pettersson and White who play for Canadian teams. Then you have Dahlin who plays on one of the top teams in the league and was a hyped up 1st overall pick. I’d personally have him at #3, still below Tkachuk and Pettersson but not much separation between them.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I was ranking the players based on what the general perception is of rookies around the league. Let’s face reality here. Unless Heiskanen starts getting media attention, only people like us know how good Heiskanen actually is. It’s going to be difficult for a guy like him to beat out guys like Tkachuk, Pettersson and White who play for Canadian teams. Then you have Dahlin who plays on one of the top teams in the league and was a hyped up 1st overall pick. I’d personally have him at #3, still below Tkachuk and Pettersson but not much separation between them.

I get that and I agree it'll be tough for him to get the recognition he deserves. Would've helped a lot if he got that hat trick against Ottawa lol it's too bad he missed the empty net by 2 inches. Definitely would've been noticed around the league after that. Rookie dman with a hat trick would've been quite the story

Reactions: LeProspector

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
1. Elias Pettersson. Leading the rookies in points with 22 in 23 games. Solid and shades of Datsyuk in VAN.
2. Colin White. Plays C on a surprising OTT team and has been putting up solid points.
3. Miro Heiskanen. Has 12 points, 2 GWG and leads the rookie field with almost 23 mins per game.
4. Dennis Cholowski. Is Detroit's #1 D as a rookie, has 12 points and is a PP beast.
5. Brady Tkachuk. Is a pain in the side for every game that he plays and has 16 points in 16 games to boot.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
I think it's funny how Dahlin gets praised for his offensive production when half of his points are secondary assists.

Heiskanen has more goals, primary points and has to play 23+ minutes every game against top competition. Not to mention getting less PP time and way more PK time.

Heiskanen also wipes the floor with Dahlin's production on 5v5.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I think it's funny how Dahlin gets praised for his offensive production when half of his points are secondary assists.

Heiskanen has more goals, primary points and has to play 23+ minutes every game against top competition. Not to mention getting less PP time and way more PK time.

Heiskanen also wipes the floor with Dahlin's production on 5v5.

Doesn't count cause he plays in Dallas and wasn't a first overall pick!

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
No I wouldn’t. I’m not 16 years old.

Hmm...really? Cause you seem to hype up Dahlin for Calder a whole lot on these boards based on your posts.

You're telling me if Dahlin wasn't getting any recognition he deserves right now and people weren't even considering him for the Calder, you wouldn't say a single thing about it?

I suppose its mature to not defend your team or their players no matter what? Only 16 year olds do that?

Reactions: MrHeiskanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad