2018-19 Calder Trophy Contenders

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
A new NHL season brings with it a fresh crop of rookies, and a fresh set off hopes for the futures of nearly every NHL team. Along with helping their teams win, those rookies will also be chasing a prestigious individual award – the NHL’s Calder Trophy. The following article looks at pre-season favourites and predictions for who will be the NHL’s best freshman this season.

2018-19 Calder Trophy Contenders - Last Word on Hockey

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Dahlin will be in tough, he's young and likely will have to switch sides, or be more ineffective playing his off side.

But in an award usually dominated by big point totals, only 2 18 yr old D ever has had seasons of 40 points or more (Orr - 41, Housley - 66), so expecting much more of him in todays NHL is stretching his expectations.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Dahlin will be in tough, he's young and likely will have to switch sides, or be more ineffective playing his off side.

But in an award usually dominated by big point totals, only 2 18 yr old D ever has had seasons of 40 points or more (Orr - 41, Housley - 66), so expecting much more of him in todays NHL is stretching his expectations.

Ekblad won it with 39 points and similar hype, albeit a very different style of play (which probably contributed a lot to his award).

Reactions: LastWordArmy

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
One of the key factors is that I think the Sabres will be a much-improved team this year, and Dahlin will get a lot of credit for that. The Canucks will not be a very good team IMO. That was my tiebreaker between the two. That Dahlin will get credit for the Sabres improvement.

I don't think they will be a playoff team, but they will be on the bubble and fighting for a spot late in the season.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think this is Petterssons to lose. As great as Dahlin is, tough for a D to win it over a guy who’s going to be putting serious numbers like I expect Pettersson will. 60+ shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Svech and Pettersson will both probably get 60 + points. Definitely the top two, but I could see Dahlin hitting 50 points if everything goes right for him.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd love for Dahlin to take it but he's going to have to have a monster season pushing 60+ points if he wants to take it from Pettersson or Svechnikov.

IF he gets about 40 points and plays top 4 minutes, he should get the nod before guys like Pettersson or Svechnikov. Not taking anything away from either two of them, but I don't see either as 80 points players in the NHL (this year).

It'll be similar to that Ekblad year, where three players (Gaudreau/Stone/Forsberg) all put up mid 60's and came in 2-3-4 to Ekblad's 39 points.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
Pettersson will be a contender, for sure, but what may really hinder him is that he plays on a team that can hardly score. There is Boeser, and Horvat and then the goal scoring talent drops off significantly. Unless he gets Boeser on his line at some point in the season it will be hard for him to keep up in the scoring race...that or he racks up a lot of points on the PP with Boeser.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
After Klingberg got burned, I'd like to see Heiskanen at least be a finalist for the Calder.

I think he'll turn some heads this season.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Svech and Pettersson will both probably get 60 + points. Definitely the top two, but I could see Dahlin hitting 50 points if everything goes right for him.

60 points is a very lofty bar for a rookie straight out of the draft. Not even Eichel did it.

Since the lockout its only been Crosby, Kane, Matthews, Laine, Mackinnon and Skinner.

I expect Svechnikov to land somewhere in the high 40s to low 50s, 25 - 25 maybe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad