2018-19 Calder Trophy Contenders

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Hmm...really? Cause you seem to hype up Dahlin for Calder a whole lot on these boards based on your posts.

You're telling me if Dahlin wasn't getting any recognition he deserves right now and people weren't even considering him for the Calder, you wouldn't say a single thing about it?

I suppose its mature to not defend your team or their players no matter what? Only 16 year olds do that?

He wouldn’t be getting no recognition right now with the ways he has played.

Regardless, you don’t see many Sabres fans throwing shade at Heiskanen. Yet the Stars/Finish fans will be in the Dahlin thread with a GIF every time he turns a puck over.

Last edited:
Reactions: kundahlini

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thinking its still Petersson that wins this,kid has all the tools...But there will be some surprises... In who comes in after him

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Why can’t we all agree both Heiskanen and Dahlin are having great rookie seasons and both are going to be cornerstones for their respective franchises. Reminds me of when I used to argue with Kings fans (and come to think of it, a lot of Leafs fans too) in those heated Doughty vs Karlsson debates.

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Regardless, you don’t see many Sabres fans throwing shade at Heiskanen. Yet the Stars/Finish fans will be in the Dahlin thread with a GIF every time he turns a puck over.

Can you show me one of these gifs? Haven't seen one yet

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

There is the odd case on either side that is over the top toxic in regards to prospect comparison but for the most part all Fin and Stars fans are saying about Heiskanen in relation to Dahlin is that they are on the same tier. In fact most of us and just about everyone of us that is reasonable admit to Dahlin having the better offensive game however we strongly think that Miro has the edge defensively.

Reactions: Kcb12345

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Meh, he's not even top 3 in points per game on the Sens, and is 7th in overall points. Nothing against Tkachuk but he wouldn't have as many points as EP in Vancouver.
He's also getting 3 less minutes per game and half the power play time as EP. Pettersson is getting the most PP time on the Canucks by almost 30 seconds per game.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Is argument is very poor. Doesn't even consider quality of opponents, quality of teammates, quality of offense and PP, quality of defensive assignments, actual defensive play, goals, primary points, etc.

Really just bad reasoning on his part. Sabres are a much better team than the Stars so far this season, and of course advanced stats will show that.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Is argument is very poor. Doesn't even consider quality of opponents, quality of teammates, quality of offense and PP, quality of defensive assignments, actual defensive play, goals, primary points, etc.

Really just bad reasoning on his part. Sabres are a much better team than the Stars so far this season, and of course advanced stats will show that.
heiskanen has more 5 on 5 pts...he went out of his way to dismiss heiskanen. disingenuous hack.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
heiskanen has more 5 on 5 pts...he went out of his way to dismiss heiskanen. disingenuous hack.

Then immediately after that, without mentioning any of Heiskanen's numbers other than the fact he "plays with Benn and Seguin" he did a poll on who is better lmao. Of course he is gonna lose that poll lol. He'd lose because of hype alone

Yost has always been a moron though

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Yes, let's use stats like "generating less shots against" in a team sport.

Those four other guys on the ice have zero impact it's all Dahlin.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yes, let's use stats like "generating less shots against" in a team sport.

Those four other guys on the ice have zero impact it's all Dahlin.

Funny how the only media attention Heiskanen has gotten so far outside of Dallas is Travis Yost trying to trash him and make him not look like a legitimate Calder contender. Typical. If only he was a first overall pick or on a Canadien team

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Maybe there is a good reason for him to consider Miro outside the top three.. he certainly failed to relay that in his tweet however.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
So much like most TSN analysts, no clue on anything outside of the Eastern Conference, because that tweet provided nothing, but the real question is why does it matter.
Miro would have to play in A different market to even have a chance at an award, but it's better he doesn't win anything, He gets a piece of hardware and suddenly you're shelling out 7.5mil a yr, instead of 4.25mil a yr for the better player who gets no recognition. Should note that is not a shot at Dahlin but at Ekblad.

Last edited:

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
He's also getting 3 less minutes per game and half the power play time as EP. Pettersson is getting the most PP time on the Canucks by almost 30 seconds per game.
Tkachuk also plays with much better linemates considering that Boeser was out for a good chunk of the season. Even then Tkachuk have the beneficial of playing with Stone. Tkachuk is good, and whenever I watch Sens games I can notice his positive impact on the ice, but Pettersson is still ahead.

Reactions: stampedingviking

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Tkachuk also plays with much better linemates considering that Boeser was out for a good chunk of the season.
Well yeah, that was kinda covered by him being 4th in PPG on the team. If he wasn't playing with any of the guys above him, that wouldn't really be relevant.

My point was, both have a bit of different circumstance benefiting them over the other.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Right now i probably go with Heiskanen.
I honestly expected Dahlin to skate away with the Calder this year but it's turning into quite the competition.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
They tried to increase Dahlin's ice time back when we broke their winstreak. He was probably the worst player on the ice. Pretty much every time he touched the puck he gave it away.

He is a year younger than Heiskanen though so there is no shame in being way behind at the moment. I just get really mad when people who haven't even watched them play act like they understand anything. Dahlin right now is not ready for the minutes Heiskanen is playing and anyone with eyes can see that.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
That piece by Travis Yost is interesting.

It does show Tkachuk to generate more 5v5 in more situations than Pettersson and his rates p/60 in most categories are better, Both Tkachuk brothers shine in that area.
However;
When you compare them "relative" to his team and line mates, that's where Pettersson shines and is better than Tkachuk.

So Tkachuk is dominant, but Pettersson does more with less, and with higher responsibility of playing center.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
They tried to increase Dahlin's ice time back when we broke their winstreak. He was probably the worst player on the ice. Pretty much every time he touched the puck he gave it away.

He is a year younger than Heiskanen though so there is no shame in being way behind at the moment. I just get really mad when people who haven't even watched them play act like they understand anything. Dahlin right now is not ready for the minutes Heiskanen is playing and anyone with eyes can see that.

He did pretty good tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad