2018-19 Blackhawks Roster Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Hossa is gone and last year proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was the glue that held the Saad toews Hossa line together

I know it didn’t work last year, but it’s also because Q was pairing them with 3rd and 4th liners.

Saad-Toews-Hossa was a trio of legit first line players who play a two-way game. Since Hossa’s decline, Toews has not been paired with two legit first-liners who play a two-way game.

That’s why I’m not willing to say they’re definitely not going to work just yet. Like @ClydeLee mentions, Toews and Saad were a possession dominant combo last season. I just think Schmaltz better fits their two-way style than DeBrincat does.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I would disagree by 2013-14 as a season. Sharp Toews Hossa wasnt si defensive locked st all but Kruger-Smith was scoring and matching up well.

Toews Saad was one possession dominant combo last year. If they have a consistent goal scoring force with them like Cat I think they'll produce goals at a rate they should. But the odd combo of Another big body like Panik, Hayden, etc. With them doesn't make them more likely to score

Are you disagreeing with me or Feather?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
KKK without Kunitz? If Kahun is on that line it will not be a top5 shutdown line.
Kahun is not a shutdown player

Kahun is very much a responsible two way centreman and he could most certainly be an effective winger on a checking line, now if Kruger is capaable of playing the shutdown C then yes the kahun-kruger-kampf line could very well be one of the best shut down 4th lines in the NHL.

That would allow any coach but Q to deploy Toews differently. we can all hope that Q gets canned and quick IMO best thing for the hawks to do this season is start 0-20 then Q will be gone

Reactions: jls24

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I know it didn’t work last year, but it’s also because Q was pairing them with 3rd and 4th liners.

Saad-Toews-Hossa was a trio of legit first line players who play a two-way game. Since Hossa’s decline, Toews has not been paired with two legit first-liners who play a two-way game.

That’s why I’m not willing to say they’re definitely not going to work just yet. Like @ClydeLee mentions, Toews and Saad were a possession dominant combo last season. I just think Schmaltz better fits their two-way style than DeBrincat does.

I am not and never have been opposed to Schmaltz playing withToews but that leaves another line short, IMO if Toews is not deployed as a shut down C and is going to do as he says in the article rediscover his offensive skill ans desire like the young ones he couldvery well do so with a couple of guys like Hayden/Fortin or other winger.

That trio could be really effective IMO. Hayden and Fortin/other winger bang away, as long as they are skilled enough to pot 15-20 goals IMO..

Hayden-toews-fortin/other winger that makes it
cat-AA-Kane
saad-schmaltz-sikura
kahun-kruger-kampf

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Kahun is very much a responsible two way centreman and he could most certainly be an effective winger on a checking line, now if Kruger is capaable of playing the shutdown C then yes the kahun-kruger-kampf line could very well be one of the best shut down 4th lines in the NHL.

That would allow any coach but Q to deploy Toews differently. we can all hope that Q gets canned and quick IMO best thing for the hawks to do this season is start 0-20 then Q will be gone
I haven't seen any of Kahun myself, and am only going off what I've read from countless people, but the type of player he's been described as is NOT the type that should be on a 4th line. He's closer to a Sikura/Duclair type than he is a Kruger, Kampf, or Kunitz type.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I haven't seen any of Kahun myself, and am only going off what I've read from countless people, but the type of player he's been described as is NOT the type that should be on a 4th line. He's closer to a Sikura/Duclair type than he is a Kruger, Kampf, or Kunitz type.

Kahun can play up lineup yes but he can also play that role on the fourth line.
I have seen Kahun play some and a good friend of mine watched him live in germany with Muncheaon (sp?) for the last few years and he and I have discussed his play at length since he signed.

I think some of you will be pleasantly suprised with him.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
The Toews line needs to be rock-solid, or this team goes nowhere.

I know people keep arguing you need Schmaltz to be a 2C because there’s nobody else in the system to do it, but I still can’t help but think Schmaltz with Toews and Saad helps this team more than Schmaltz being a 2C.

Anisimov did fine as a 2C with Kane, and even if he’s not as skilled as Schmaltz, he still compliments Kane well. Further, Kane has thrived much of his career without a bona fide 2C, so I don’t really understand the desire to slam Schmaltz into that role when he could have a greater impact elsewhere in the lineup.

Schmaltz was fantastic with Toews and Panik, you have to think he’d even better with Toews and Saad. Toews and Saad played best with Hinostroza’s speed on the wing, and Schmaltz is very fast as well. In addition to that, Schmaltz is an excellent playmaker while Saad and Toews shoot a lot, so he could be incredibly useful at setting both of them up. There’s no reason all three of those guys can’t each hit 60+ points while playing together.

Lastly I’m going to argue that I’m not taking away from Kane in order to help Toews, but rather I’m actually helping out Kane as well. That’s because I’m giving Kane DeBrincat, who I feel is a better fit for the playmaking part of Kane’s game. DeBrincat can follow what Panarin did in 16-17, camp in the left circle and wait for a Kane cross-ice pass to one-time. You’d have a high producing Kane line like in 16-17, but it wouldn’t be a one line team because you’d have a complete Toews line rather than a piecemealed Toews line.

Saad-Toews-Schmaltz
DeBrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Winger who stands out in camp-Hayden/Ejdsell-Sikura
Kunitz-Kruger-Kampf

You are crushing it in this post. I agree 100%.

And I cringe every time I see someone put Schmaltz or Debrincat on the 3rd line. No, you need 2 dominant lines, a Kruger shutdown line, and then figure out a 3rd line. Hell, I'd rather end up giving Kruger's line more time than the 3rd line if it is in a shutdown role and it's decreasing Toews' heavy minutes.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I am not and never have been opposed to Schmaltz playing withToews but that leaves another line short, IMO if Toews is not deployed as a shut down C and is going to do as he says in the article rediscover his offensive skill ans desire like the young ones he couldvery well do so with a couple of guys like Hayden/Fortin or other winger.

That trio could be really effective IMO. Hayden and Fortin/other winger bang away, as long as they are skilled enough to pot 15-20 goals IMO..

Hayden-toews-fortin/other winger that makes it
cat-AA-Kane
saad-schmaltz-sikura
kahun-kruger-kampf

You can’t strip down Toews’ line and expect anything great out of him. He may be able to push 40 points by dragging around two 3rd/4th liners, but is that really what we want?

Reactions: Rolo

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
You can’t strip down Toews’ line and expect anything great out of him. He may be able to push 40 points by dragging around two 3rd/4th liners, but is that really what we want?

Well what we want is to win and toews at 40 points as you say or in the mid 50 points as he has been in recent years will both result in losing.

That is why you let him muddle it out and figure things out with the other guys cause you know Q wont change his deployment.

While you load up on the younger fellows Saad-Schmaltz-sikura getting easy oppositions and they are going to be the ones that could play leading roles in another cup run in a couple years any way.

Toews will be nothing more than a passenger/depth piece/mentor if you will; for any future cup runs the hawks may make in his career.

The sooner we let the kids develop into what toews was; the better the hawks will be.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Players just don't develop into Toews, and despite what people want to believe on this site, the guy was a really really elite player during his prime.

no argument that Toews was really elite in his prime, I was one of Toews biggest fans but the fact of the matter is he will never be that guy again, its crystal clear that will not be so what the hawks need to do is deploy Toews to his current strengths and abilities and IMO that is not what Q has been doing.

obviously players don't develop into Toews, what I meant is let them develop into the elite version of Saad-Scmaltz-Sikura.... like what Toews was...

Reactions: TLEH

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Kahun has played against top competition in Europe rink and he is very versatile. I rather have him as top-9 forward because he has the tools to be scorer in NHL but he is very, I mean very reliable two-way player. I hate to make comparables and for Kahun I dont have any but he can be slotted like Shaw in to any given line for a stint. Is he first line player all season long? No, most likely not. Is he top-9 player who could make a stint in top-line for ~10 games and be effective? Yes.

If you have top-9 player who is also capable to play at 4th line as shutdown player when your top-9 is already good, it’s luxury. Our top-9 could be good with or without Kahun. I hope he plays with Anisimov and Sikura at 3rd line.

Hayden - Toews - Kane
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Saad
Kahun - Anisimov - Sikura
KKK

Reactions: bwana63

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Kahun has played against top competition in Europe rink and he is very versatile. I rather have him as top-9 forward because he has the tools to be scorer in NHL but he is very, I mean very reliable two-way player. I hate to make comparables and for Kahun I dont have any but he can be slotted like Shaw in to any given line for a stint. Is he first line player all season long? No, most likely not. Is he top-9 player who could make a stint in top-line for ~10 games and be effective? Yes.

If you have top-9 player who is also capable to play at 4th line as shutdown player when your top-9 is already good, it’s luxury. Our top-9 could be good with or without Kahun. I hope he plays with Anisimov and Sikura at 3rd line.

Hayden - Toews - Kane
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Saad
Kahun - Anisimov - Sikura
KKK

agreed on Kahun, very versatile player, I also don't like comparibles but if I had to I would say that he has the potential to be similar to elias lindholm, trustworthy and can play in all situations PK, PP and can play any forward position be it on a scoring line or a shut down line. Kind of like a swiss army knife, useful in almost any application

as long as schmaltz does not play with kane and Saad does not play with Toews....

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
So many different forward line up possibilities

Sikura-Schamltz-DeBrincat
Highmore-Kahun-Kane
Kunitz-Toews-Schoeder
Ejdsell-Kämpf-Hayden

Sikura-Schmaltz-DeBrincat
Saad-Toews-Kane
Kunitz-Kahun-Kämpf
Ejdsell-Anisimov-Hayden

Kahun-Toews-Kane
Kunitz-Schmaltz-DeBrincat
DySikura-Kämpf-Hayden
TySikura-Highmore-Schoeder

Kunitz-Toews-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-DeBrincat
Kahun-Anisimov-Kämpf
Martinsen-Ejdsell-Hayden

Kahun-Anisimov-Kane
Kunitz-Toews-Highmore
Ejdsell-Kämpf-Hayden

Debrincat-Schmaltz-Kane
Sikura-Toews-Saad
Kunitz-Anisimov-Hayden
Ejdsell-Kämpf-Schoeder

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
IF (big if) Kahun is as close to NHL ready and good as some people think he is, AND if (even bigger if) Fortin finds his confidence in Rockford and gets called up a couple months into the season, then I would construct the lineup so that:

Line 1. I'd put Kahun with Saad and Toews because he is supposed to be a good distributer, good defensively and good at the dot for when Toews inevitably get's booted out of the faceoff several times a game.

Line 2. Kane and DeBrincat play together with AA at center because none of those players relies on speed to be effective. AA has already proven he complements Kane's game with his drive the middle and net front game, and DeBrincat is the 2nd best shooter/distributer on the team so he and Kane should do well together similar to Panarin/Kane.

Line 3. Fortin-Schmaltz-Sikura. Speed-speed-speed with good offensive skills.

Line 4. Kampf-Kruger-Hayden. Slot in Kunitz for a change of pace.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

Kahun is not a good fit on a shutdown line... Kahun is a speedy player with vision and passing. If he makes it it will be as middle 6 player.

He was solid in the DEL in his own end but far from defensive and two way. It takes away his strengths.
He hasn't even played much PK in Germany and his line was basically the worst D line of his team.

Saad Toews Sikura/Kahun
DeBrincat Anisimov/Schmaltz Kane
Hayden/Kunitz Anisimov/Schmaltz Sikura/Kahun
Hayden/Kunitz Kruger Kampf

That's how you'd have to use Kahun if he even makes it.
A comparable would be Tyler Johnson with a bit less 1on1 skills and a poor man's version (as of now).

I wonder how you come to this conclusion and how many times you have seen him.

Last edited:

migi

Feb 25, 2015
So many different forward line up possibilities

Sikura-Schamltz-DeBrincat
Highmore-Kahun-Kane
Kunitz-Toews-Schoeder
Ejdsell-Kämpf-Hayden

Saad-Toews-Kane
Kunitz-Kahun-Kämpf
Ejdsell-Anisimov-Hayden

Kahun-Toews-Kane
Kunitz-Schmaltz-DeBrincat
DySikura-Kämpf-Hayden
TySikura-Highmore-Schoeder

Kunitz-Toews-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-DeBrincat
Kahun-Anisimov-Kämpf
Martinsen-Ejdsell-Hayden

Kahun-Anisimov-Kane
Kunitz-Toews-Highmore
Ejdsell-Kämpf-Hayden

Debrincat-Schmaltz-Kane
Sikura-Toews-Saad
Kunitz-Anisimov-Hayden
Ejdsell-Kämpf-Schoeder

So many combos and not a single one makes sense. Second one is the closest. The fact you are ignoring Krüger and putting Tyler Sikura, Martinsen or Schoeder over him is just, oof.

You dont have to admit it but as of today, Krüger is the best option for 4th line center duties.

Kahun is not a good fit on a shutdown line... Kahun is a speedy player with vision and passing. If he makes it it will be as middle 6 player.

He was solid in the DEL in his own end but far from defensive and two way. It takes away his strengths.
He hasn't even played much PK in Germany and his line was basically the worst D line of his team.

Saad Toews Sikura/Kahun
DeBrincat Anisimov/Schmaltz Kane
Hayden/Kunitz Anisimov/Schmaltz Sikura/Kahun
Hayden/Kunitz Kruger Kampf

That's how you'd have to use Kahun if he even makes it.
A comparable would be Tyler Johnson with a bit less 1on1 skills and a poor man's version (as of now).

I wonder how you come to this conclusion and how many times you have seen him.

First of all, if you are saying his comparable is Tyler Johnson, I hope you know that Johnson isn’t bad defensive player. And so ain’t Kahun.

It really doesnt matter how he played in DEL because in OG against tougher competition he was very good defensively. In DEL he played more like top-6 scoring player. He doesnt have to be the best one defensively to be part of the best shutdown line but his versatility fit to 4th line if there ain’t a spot for him in top-9. I want to see him top-9 aswell because I see the potential in him but that doesnt mean he wouldnt make our 4th line better. I mean c’mon, Kane makes our 4th line always better and shutdown line needs skilled forwards too. Krüger aint, Kämpf is hard working guy who has some hands so Kahun would add some.

It’s odd that you don’t see it because I bet you watched every single Olympic game and he did play against harder competition he has ever faced.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
So many combos and not a single one makes sense. Second one is the closest. The fact you are ignoring Krüger and putting Tyler Sikura, Martinsen or Schoeder over him is just, oof.

You dont have to admit it but as of today, Krüger is the best option for 4th line center duties.

First of all, if you are saying his comparable is Tyler Johnson, I hope you know that Johnson isn’t bad defensive player. And so ain’t Kahun.

It really doesnt matter how he played in DEL because in OG against tougher competition he was very good defensively. In DEL he played more like top-6 scoring player. He doesnt have to be the best one defensively to be part of the best shutdown line but his versatility fit to 4th line if there ain’t a spot for him in top-9. I want to see him top-9 aswell because I see the potential in him but that doesnt mean he wouldnt make our 4th line better. I mean c’mon, Kane makes our 4th line always better and shutdown line needs skilled forwards too. Krüger aint, Kämpf is hard working guy who has some hands so Kahun would add some.

It’s odd that you don’t see it because I bet you watched every single Olympic game and he did play against harder competition he has ever faced.

Because no straight minded person would put Kruger in the line up, he is barely AHL level player at the moment,
how in the earth you'd think he would be Hawks 4th line center?

He was 2nd, 3rd line center for Checkers last season and the only reason he was able to squeeze himself
to Hurricanes line up, was because of injuries and the fact that Hurricanes center prospect pool doesn't give their
fans happy happy joy joy feelings. ps. he was a healthy scratch many times.

Dude is slow, doesn't play special teams, can't make plays anymore
cant score anymore, isn't physical, his hockey IQ is very limited,
there are at least 5 centers in Hawks roster/system who can play D either equally well
or better than Kruger. Kruger is completely useless in today's NHL.

If Q puts him to line up, Q should be fired immediately due to a mental illness disorder of sort.

Reactions: pvr

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Because no straight minded person would put Kruger in the line up, he is barely AHL level player at the moment,
how in the earth you'd think he would be Hawks 4th line center?

He was 2nd, 3rd line center for Checkers last season and the only reason he was able to squeeze himself
to Hurricanes line up, was because of injuries and the fact that Hurricanes center prospect pool doesn't give their
fans happy happy joy joy feelings. ps. he was a healthy scratch many times.

Dude is slow, doesn't play special teams, can't make plays anymore
cant score anymore, isn't physical, his hockey IQ is very limited,
there are at least 5 centers in Hawks roster/system who can play D either equally well
or better than Kruger. Kruger is completely useless in today's NHL.

If Q puts him to line up, Q should be fired immediately due to a mental illness disorder of sort.

If you’d pay attention you would notice couple things:

1) statistically, he would have been the 2nd best faceoff guy in Blackhawks which is very valuable for example in special teams
2) he had sports hernia last year and had a surgery about a month ago which need like 2 to 6 weeks to fully heal and it’s very reasonable to expect that he is better than last year
3) who are the better 4th line centers in the system who would take key faceoffs, play PK and maybe even shut down the opponents best lineup? You proposed it’s gonna be Kämpf, Highmore, Anisimov, Kahun or Ejdsell. Okey, so I get you want those 4 line rolls that everybody can play with the puck but oh my those guys arent suited for 4th line duties better than Krüger.

I get that Kämpf could be better option someday but I’d rather have him playing wing with Krüger and maybe Kunitz as the other winger. All can play that pretty effectively.

If Krüger starts as 4th line center, it’s the best option TODAY. You dont know how he is gonna play but he is better than Highmore, Ejdsell, Anisimov and Kahun in that, TODAY. Kahun could be but he will be top-9 player.

And your lineups with Kunitz at 2nd line winger, oh my. Schoeder in lineup, oh my. Toews as 3C which wont happen, oh my.

They are possibilities in your head or in NHL19, not in real life.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
It’s news to me that Kruger doesn’t play special teams. When he was here he played a dominant pk.

Not that Kruger wasn’t terrible in Carolina, but I’m getting the sense that the coach didn’t “get” how you use him. You put him up against the opponents top line and he makes them do absolutely nothing and he does nothing in return.

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
I did not see anything special Kruger did on PK. His reputation might have come from early years when PK was Oduya/Hammer and Kruger and Ben Smith in front. That half of the season was when Hawks PK was the best in the league. The moment Ben was sent to Sharks and Desi came in return team PK dropped like the rock to the bottom of the sea.
Unfortunately Kruger fits Q style (stay back and clog the lane) so they will not just trot him around this year in 3/4 line but probably offer another hefty contract extension plus mandatory NMC.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Even if Kruger has a good year here and Bowman want's to re-sign him, he won't be handed a hefty contract nor a NTC/NMC. Bowman knows that Kruger was playing for Arizona's AHL team. The league knows it. He won't be able to demand jack shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad