2018-19 Blackhawks Roster Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The Toews line needs to be rock-solid, or this team goes nowhere.

I know people keep arguing you need Schmaltz to be a 2C because there’s nobody else in the system to do it, but I still can’t help but think Schmaltz with Toews and Saad helps this team more than Schmaltz being a 2C.

Anisimov did fine as a 2C with Kane, and even if he’s not as skilled as Schmaltz, he still compliments Kane well. Further, Kane has thrived much of his career without a bona fide 2C, so I don’t really understand the desire to slam Schmaltz into that role when he could have a greater impact elsewhere in the lineup.

Schmaltz was fantastic with Toews and Panik, you have to think he’d even better with Toews and Saad. Toews and Saad played best with Hinostroza’s speed on the wing, and Schmaltz is very fast as well. In addition to that, Schmaltz is an excellent playmaker while Saad and Toews shoot a lot, so he could be incredibly useful at setting both of them up. There’s no reason all three of those guys can’t each hit 60+ points while playing together.

Lastly I’m going to argue that I’m not taking away from Kane in order to help Toews, but rather I’m actually helping out Kane as well. That’s because I’m giving Kane DeBrincat, who I feel is a better fit for the playmaking part of Kane’s game. DeBrincat can follow what Panarin did in 16-17, camp in the left circle and wait for a Kane cross-ice pass to one-time. You’d have a high producing Kane line like in 16-17, but it wouldn’t be a one line team because you’d have a complete Toews line rather than a piecemealed Toews line.

Saad-Toews-Schmaltz
DeBrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Winger who stands out in camp-Hayden/Ejdsell-Sikura
Kunitz-Kruger-Kampf

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Not a fan of removing Schmaltz from the center position when its the best fit for him and the team long term. Sikura and Cat are fine options to play with Toews. I think for this year they should try out a more balanced approach and spread out their talent.

Saad-Toews-Sikura
Edjsell-Anisimov-Kane
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Hayden
Kunitz-Kruger-Kahun

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Not a fan of removing Schmaltz from the center position when its the best fit for him and the team long term. Sikura and Cat are fine options to play with Toews. I think for this year they should try out a more balanced approach and spread out their talent.

Saad-Toews-Sikura
Edjsell-Anisimov-Kane
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Hayden
Kunitz-Kruger-Kahun

Can you expand on why Schmaltz at center is a better fit for him and the team long term?

I like the idea of the Schmaltz DeBrincat line, but I feel like you need to make that Toews line complete. I think Schmaltz does that better than DeBrincat or Sikura do.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Can you expand on why Schmaltz at center is a better fit for him and the team long term?

I like the idea of the Schmaltz DeBrincat line, but I feel like you need to make that Toews line complete. I think Schmaltz does that better than DeBrincat or Sikura do.

Because Toews-Schmaltz-Wise will be a great combination down the middle and they have wingers to play with them. Maybe they snag another C in the 2019 draft but at this point DeBrincat and Sikura can play on the 1st/2nd line. Move Schmaltz to wing then they lose that depth at center. And I think his game is very well suited for C. Once he gets his FO% to league average he’s a bonefide 1C.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Because Toews-Schmaltz-Wise will be a great combination down the middle and they have wingers to play with them. Maybe they snag another C in the 2019 draft but at this point DeBrincat and Sikura can play on the 1st/2nd line. Move Schmaltz to wing then they lose that depth at center. And I think his game is very well suited for C. Once he gets his FO% to league average he’s a bonefide 1C.

I understand your argument, and that center depth is nice in a vacuum. However, you don’t need a prototypical 2C to play with Kane.

Kane controls the puck and drives the play on his line, essentially taking those responsiblilties away from the center. That’s why he’s always been able to get away with having a lower-end 2C or worse.

Kane needs a shooter more than he needs a prototypical playmaking 2C.

Also, put Schmaltz on the wing and he’s a first liner right now, and you don’t need to wait for him to improve FO% in order to call him a first-liner.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
There are two duos that imo can’t play on the same line

Saad-toews does not work without Hossa unless q changes the deployment of the duo

Schmaltz-Kane only two true playmakers on the club, if they play together the opposition shuts them down and the hawks lose 9 out of every 10 games

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Hayden- toews- whoever wins a spot fortin/edsjell etc
Cat- aa - Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-sikura
Kahun- Kruger- Kampf

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
There are two dips that imo can’t play on the same line

Saad-toews does not work without Hossa unless q changes the deployment of the duo

Schmaltz-Kane only two true playmakers on the club, if they play together the opposition shuts them down and the hawks lose 9 out of every 10 games

I want to see them with Schmaltz before we say this for sure, but I don’t think Sikura or DeBrincat bring enough of an all-around game to make those two work.

We’ve seen two really good lines since Hossa dropped off from being elite:

Schmaltz-Toews-Panik and Panarin-Anisimov-Kane.

Schmaltz-Toews-Saad > Schmaltz-Toews-Panik

DeBrincat-Anisimov-Kane has potential to be nearly as good as Panarin-Anisimov-Kane

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Hayden- toews- fortin/edsjell
Cat- aa - Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-sikura
Kahun- Kruger- Kampf

I think we’re better off loading that line with the best two-way players rather than stripping it down.

As much as I’d love an ass-kicking third line like that, we must have an effective first line before we can think about the third line.

A third line will need to be developed through camp and the first half of the season.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I understand your argument, and that center depth is nice in a vacuum. However, you don’t need a prototypical 2C to play with Kane.

Kane controls the puck and drives the play on his line, essentially taking those responsiblilties away from the center. That’s why he’s always been able to get away with having a lower-end 2C or worse.

Kane needs a shooter more than he needs a prototypical playmaking 2C.

Also, put Schmaltz on the wing and he’s a first liner right now, and you don’t need to wait for him to improve FO% in order to call him a first-liner.
Plenty of "1stlineCs" are poor at faceoffs. He would need to, idk, play more at center than another player on his team to call him a first line center. Faceoffs dont change that.

...it happened with Panarin and I dont get it happening with Debrincat. I don't get why this fanbase pegs them as just a shooter and not acknowledge they are great passing playmakers as well and have that skill set. It's so weird to see the same thing happening again.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
No need to have the best two way players with toews when the KKK line (not Kunitz)could be a top 5 shut down line in the nhl imo

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Plenty of "1stlineCs" are poor at faceoffs. He would need to, idk, play more at center than another player on his team to call him a first line center. Faceoffs dont change that.

...it happened with Panarin and I dont get it happening with Debrincat. I don't get why this fanbase pegs them as just a shooter and not acknowledge they are great passing playmakers as well and have that skill set. It's so weird to see the same thing happening again.

My argument for Schmaltz with Toews had nothing to do with his FO numbers, I was responding to T2B’s mention of them.

Also, not sure what you’re arguing on DeBrincat. Never said he’s “just” a shooter, I said he IS a shooter, and does that moreso than Schmaltz does which makes him a better fit for Kane’s game. If he brings extra playmaking for Kane, that’s obviously a huge bonus and makes that line even more effective. It’s not a bad thing.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
No need to have the best two way players with towws when the KKK line could be a top 5 shut down line in the nhl imo

I don’t know if I’m there with you on the Kruger line, there’s a lot of unknown there. We need to see if Kruger is capable of even matching his old self before we start calling that a top 5 shut down line.

Also, even when Kruger was a beast in the shutdown role, Saad-Toews-Hossa formed a great two-way line above Kruger’s line. Kruger, even at his best, never negated the need for a solid and complete two-way line.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I’m warming up to the idea of “going for it” this year. We have good young forwards, the D prospects represent the rebuild and are 2-3 years away. I love Saad but I think he alone could buy us a chance to improve the team dramatically for 1 year. Then, we’ll have even that much more cap space to replace Saad in UFA.

:habs
Haydn Fleury
2nd CHI 2019

:canes
Brandon Saad

:hawks
Max Pacioretty
Justin Faulk

MaxPac goes all out for a contact, if the team is good, we keep him, if not, he gets moved at the deadline for picks/prospects. Ditto for Faulk, although he is signed for 2 years so no rush on that.

This allows us to consolidate 1 asset into 2 and at the same time doesn’t detract from our rebuild as we can move both of them out if need be. The downside is we will likely not get another top 10 pick this year, but we addressed the D with 3 first rounders so it’s not essential that we get another one right now.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I’m warming up to the idea of “going for it” this year. We have good young forwards, the D prospects represent the rebuild and are 2-3 years away. I love Saad but I think he alone could buy us a chance to improve the team dramatically for 1 year. Then, we’ll have even that much more cap space to replace Saad in UFA.

Haydn Fleury
2nd CHI 2019

Brandon Saad

Max Pacioretty
Justin Faulk

MaxPac goes all out for a contact, if the team is good, we keep him, if not, he gets moved at the deadline for picks/prospects. Ditto for Faulk, although he is signed for 2 years so no rush on that.

This allows us to consolidate 1 asset into 2 and at the same time doesn’t detract from our rebuild as we can move both of them out if need be. The downside is we will likely not get another top 10 pick this year, but we addressed the D with 3 first rounders so it’s not essential that we get another one right now.

I don’t think Carolina does that, but getting Pacioretty and Faulk for Saad wouldn’t be terrible for the Hawks.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Haydn Fleury
2nd CHI 2019

Brandon Saad

Max Pacioretty
Justin Faulk

This trade makes no sense.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I’d be very disappointed if we traded Saad+ for two guys with expiring contracts in the next couple years. Don’t know what Faulks (not big on him anyway) contract demands are but there has got to be a reason that the Habs don’t even want to try and negotiate a contract with their captain.

If you can get a Pacioretty for cheap by all means go for it. If the conversation starts with Saad we should say thanks but no thanks.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Take me through the trade step by step because I don't understand the logistics. How do these pieces get to where they are?

Saad for Faulk and Fleury
Fleury and 2nd for Pacioretty

I’d be very disappointed if we traded Saad+ for two guys with expiring contracts in the next couple years. Don’t know what Faulks (not big on him anyway) contract demands are but there has got to be a reason that the Habs don’t even want to try and negotiate a contract with their captain.

If you can get a Pacioretty for cheap by all means go for it. If the conversation starts with Saad we should say thanks but no thanks.

Yeah, I hear you. It’s not the greatest for us but if you think you can take that cap space and go get a Seguin or Karlsson, you might be better off that way than with Saad. For me, there is no point in even trying to win the next year or two without a legit veteran top 4 D coming in.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Carolina gets nothing for sending Fleury to Montreal though. Hawks would make out like bandits. They’d get Carolina to pay most of acqusition cost for Patches

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Saad for Faulk and Fleury
Fleury and 2nd for Pacioretty

Yeah, I hear you. It’s not the greatest for us but if you think you can take that cap space and go get a Seguin or Karlsson, you might be better off that way than with Saad.
Thanks for the clarification. Doubt that happens though.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I don’t know if I’m there with you on the Kruger line, there’s a lot of unknown there. We need to see if Kruger is capable of even matching his old self before we start calling that a top 5 shut down line.

Also, even when Kruger was a beast in the shutdown role, Saad-Toews-Hossa formed a great two-way line above Kruger’s line. Kruger, even at his best, never negated the need for a solid and complete two-way line.

Hossa is gone and last year proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was the glue that held the Saad toews Hossa line together

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

I would disagree by 2013-14 as a season. Sharp Toews Hossa wasnt si defensive locked st all but Kruger-Smith was scoring and matching up well.

Toews Saad was one possession dominant combo last year. If they have a consistent goal scoring force with them like Cat I think they'll produce goals at a rate they should. But the odd combo of Another big body like Panik, Hayden, etc. With them doesn't make them more likely to score

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Haydn Fleury
2nd CHI 2019

Brandon Saad

Max Pacioretty
Justin Faulk

I'd rather just deal with Carolina and get Faulk and Skinner if we are trading Saad. Skinner>Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad