2018-19 Blackhawks Roster Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Yeap. I like Boston's model of a dominant first line of Bergeron, Pasta, Marchand and then a very solid 2nd line with Krecji, Backes, and Debrusk. The Hawks should follow suit by loading up our top 2 lines, having a Kruger shutdown line, and then let the kids battle it out for a fast 3rd line. Schmaltz disappeared last spring when he was split from Kane. He needs to play with either Toews or Kane. These balanced 3 lines that some people propose would produce 3 mediocre lines rather than produce 2 dominant lines and one poor line.

If this is what should happen then perhaps they should try this.

Sikura-Toews-Kane
Cat-Schmaltz -Saad
hayden-Kauhun/AA-youngster that makes the club
Triple K

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeap. I like Boston's model of a dominant first line of Bergeron, Pasta, Marchand and then a very solid 2nd line with Krecji, Backes, and Debrusk. The Hawks should follow suit by loading up our top 2 lines, having a Kruger shutdown line, and then let the kids battle it out for a fast 3rd line. Schmaltz disappeared last spring when he was split from Kane. He needs to play with either Toews or Kane. These balanced 3 lines that some people propose would produce 3 mediocre lines rather than produce 2 dominant lines and one poor line.

I understand why people want three scoring lines because who wouldn’t? But you need an effective first line before you can start thinking about your third line.

I think you let the third line sort itself out in camp while focusing on creating two set top-6 lines that have players who compliment each other’s skill set, and can carry the load offensively.

I think the top-6 players are set, it’s just a matter of how you put them all together to get the most out of them. The top-6 should be composed of the players below, and Q should stop getting cute by putting Anisimov and DeBrincat on the third line.

Toews
Kane
Saad
Schmaltz
DeBrincat
Anisimov

If Sikura is actually as good as people think he’ll be, then he provides a great starting point for your speedy third line, and can get some power play time. I’m thinking no matter how it shakes out, you’re likely acquiring a third line forward at the deadline if the team is in contention, but I’m okay with that if it means two solid top-6 lines with good chemistry.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Let’s face reality, this team has one 1st line player in Kane, and 5 second liners in Saad(third liner based on last year), AA(not the best second liner), Toews, Cat and Schmaltz. This team is really thin upfront no matter how you look at it. 3rd and 4th lines are filled with young guys who hope to fill that role and nothing is guaranteed. The D is in shambles with one true 1st pairing guy and the rest are pretty much 4-7 guys. This team is missing two top line players and two top 3 D. I just don’t see playoffs anytime soon unless a miracle happens and all the young guys go on beast mode but that’s just wishful thinking at this point. On paper no playoffs this year...

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Let’s face reality, this team has one 1st line player in Kane, and 5 second liners in Saad(third liner based on last year), AA(not the best second liner), Toews, Cat and Schmaltz. This team is really thin upfront no matter how you look at it. 3rd and 4th lines are filled with young guys who hope to fill that role and nothing is guaranteed. The D is in shambles with one true 1st pairing guy and the rest are pretty much 4-7 guys. This team is missing two top line players and two top 3 D. I just don’t see playoffs anytime soon unless a miracle happens and all the young guys go on beast mode but that’s just wishful thinking at this point. On paper no playoffs this year...

I don't disagree with you and that is not going to happen with a coach like Q behind the bench that is for sure, they need to cut bait with him and promote Colliton. I have said this before but the hawks starting 0-20 this season could be the best thing to happen to the franchise since they drafted Kane and Toews.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Based on recent production, ya. We can’t count out Schmaltz and DeBrincat continuing to improve their offensive production though. They very well could put up first-line numbers next season.

I think Toews, Saad, and Anisimov give you second-line type production again, unless they do go on beast mode like you said.

Reactions: clydesdale line

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Based on recent production, ya. We can’t count out Schmaltz and DeBrincat continuing to improve their offensive production though. They very well could put up first-line numbers next season.

Agreed. Those guys are more on the upswing. The others are who they are at this point (I think Saad bounces back, but yea.. still 2nd liner/top 6).

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

How many first line players would you say there are in the NHL? Schmaltz, Toews, and Debrincat were all within the top 93 forwards for scoring in the league. And that's with Toews missing 8 games, Schmaltz having that concussion at the beginning of the year it took him awhile to get over, and Debrincat playing third line minutes pretty much all year. If Q updates the teams systems our forwards should look way better next year.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
There's one rather large problem with "have three effective scoring lines". Unless we see a trade by October, Hawks don't have the scorers, at least not under Q who seems to (unwillingly) promote his young players to play scared, rather than letting it hang out. Losing Hino didn't help the cause either.
I started to like Hino, but he won't make or break our future.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Yes a poor man's Johnson and you wouldn't put that guy on a shutdown line.

I don't know how many times you have seen Kahun live, but I did enough. Kahun is a speedy player with vision and passing. His D at the NHL level will be beyond average next season with some room to grow in the future.
I've seen him in the Olympics and what did stick out there was that his offense was good at that competition level. It's just I have seen him enough over the last few years including POs that I don't ever see him on a shutdown line (unless the lines are out of a blender and make no sense).

Hey Bubba, in your opinion is Kahun good enough the play top-9 center in the NHL or will he be a winger? And, how is he at faceoffs?

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I'm of the school of thought to spread out the best offensive players over the top three lines rather than loading up the top two lines.

Also, there are (unconfirmed) rumblings that Stan is trying to convince Shalunov to break his KHL contract and join the Hawks this season.

Saad-Toews-Kahun
DeBrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Shalunov-Schmaltz-Sikura

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm of the school of thought to spread out the best offensive players over the top three lines rather than loading up the top two lines.

Also, there are (unconfirmed) rumblings that Stan is trying to convince Shalunov to break his KHL contract and join the Hawks this season.

Saad-Toews-Kahun
DeBrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Shalunov-Schmaltz-Sikura

Where are you reading this?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
How many first line players would you say there are in the NHL? Schmaltz, Toews, and Debrincat were all within the top 93 forwards for scoring in the league. And that's with Toews missing 8 games, Schmaltz having that concussion at the beginning of the year it took him awhile to get over, and Debrincat playing third line minutes pretty much all year. If Q updates the teams systems our forwards should look way better next year.

I think Kane, DeBrincat, and Schmaltz give you first line level production. I don’t know if you put them all on the first line, but that’s where you’re offense is coming from imo.

I think Toews and Saad can be a really effective shutdown line that produces at a second-line rate. Without an elite player like Hossa, I’m not sure that line hits first-line type production without a role change.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Where are you reading this?

Justin Lowe the Hawks writer from HockeyBuzz (took John Jaekels place). I did say it was not confirmed. Here is the snipet from Justin:

"I heard a couple days ago that after how the Blackhawks offseason has transpired, Stan was looking into further convincing Max Shalunov to come over this year."

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I started to like Hino, but he won't make or break our future.

Trading Hino away may, however, break the 3rd line production which is what we were discussing.

And if that is the case, it will put a lot of pressure on the top 6 to produce on the scoreboard as it's pretty much a given that if Kruger is gifted a bottom 6 job again in Chicago, like last time he was here the 4th line will again be a big black hole offensively.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
This is something to consider but I still prefer Schmaltz with either Kane or Toews. I thought last year the discussion was that Toews and Kane do not play that well together.

Well if the logic is too load up two lines as opposed to spread the wealth to 3 lines then you really have to separate Schmaltz and Kane. Those are the only two playmakers on the club and if they are on the same line the hawks are toast and don't have a hope in hell.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Well if the logic is too load up two lines as opposed to spread the wealth to 3 lines then you really have to separate Schmaltz and Kane. Those are the only two playmakers on the club and if they are on the same line the hawks are toast and don't have a hope in hell.

I am willing to go with Toews/Saad/Debrincat to start the season. I fully expect Saad to bounceback and Debrincat to be a 60 point player with the right usage. But the more I think about it, I would go Toews/Schmaltz/Saad and Anisimov/Kane/Debrincat to start the season. Then go with Kahun/Sikura/Edjsell or some combination of the kids on the 3rd line.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
if its loaded two lines it has to be one of these three options IMO

saad-toews-schmaltz
cat-aa-kane

cat-toews-kane
saad-schmaltz-sikura

schmaltz-toews-cat
saad-aa-kane

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
if its loaded two lines it has to be one of these three options IMO

saad-toews-schmaltz
cat-aa-kane

cat-toews-kane
saad-schmaltz-sikura

schmaltz-toews-cat
saad-aa-kane

I think this is our best top-6 combo.

I’d say the second one you listed is probably the second best option, although I would like to see Anisimov back in the top-6.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I am willing to go with Toews/Saad/Debrincat to start the season. I fully expect Saad to bounceback and Debrincat to be a 60 point player with the right usage. But the more I think about it, I would go Toews/Schmaltz/Saad and Anisimov/Kane/Debrincat to start the season. Then go with Kahun/Sikura/Edjsell or some combination of the kids on the 3rd line.

I agree, I think that’s the best way to start things off. It’s the most logical set of lines based on the players on the roster.

Those line mirror the two most successful lines the team has had in the last three years.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
/\

oh for sure that is why I have previously said that the hawks are better without AA and his salary if he does not play with Kane.

IMO we are best to sell him and let some kids develop, no chance at winning anything this year or next anyway. its 2-4 years from now that the hawks may have a chance if all the kids pan out and they find a goalie....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad