2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Come to think of it, Barca should probably be aggressive courting Mbappe this summer with the Neymar money. Not a Neymar style player at all but Messi can adapt to anyone.

PSG and City have both spent around €240M this summer. Not sure they could spend another €180M without getting in trouble with FFP, as lax as it is. Madrid want to buy him next summer and not sell Bale now.

What they should do is stop messing around and get Dybala, Saul and tap up Isco.

Apperantly Barca has represntives in England to close the deal. Getting linked to every god damn player is annoying.

They are saying Raül Sanllehí who people are saying the main man when it comes to signings?

If he's the man that brought the legends turan, Gomes, pack and Douglas then I'm confident!

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
He has asked for a transfer. He's apparently very close to PSG, but 1/ I have no idea how PSG would make it work and 2/ I doubt Monaco sells to PSG.

Where would he fit in PSG lineup though? Would they switch to 2 strikers formation with the season already started?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Former Arsenal and England defender Tony Adams is leading a consortium which has struck an agreement to buy Crystal Palace for £200m. (Daily Star)

You can buy a whole PL team for less than Neymar :laugh:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Apparently PSG are the lead contenders for Mbappe too lol. It was reported a couple days back that they have a personal agreement with him. I've also seen that Madrid were unlikely to go after him this summer. They'd probably need to sell Bale as well to make room for him. City might have a shot.

Otherwise Mbappe should just go next summer.

Really there's 5 clubs that could afford mbappe without selling players to make it work.

PSG, Real Madrid, Barca, United, City.

PSG and City have obviously spent huge so far so I'm not sure how it would work this year. United has spent a lot too but could probably make it fit although he's not going there.

That leaves Barca and Real Madrid as the only real options this summer.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm sure if Coutinho is sold it's something that management will have spoken to at length with Klopp, and I'm sure Klopp is the direct link to the player so he knows where his head is at.

Klopp has been in these situations before and I'm sure that it's a frustrating situation to be in but he's a professional and Coutinho is replaceable. It's just important that they actually re-invest the money and do it properly so Klopp can integrate the new player ASAP.

I'm not in the camp that thinks losing Coutinho would be devastating because I do think our team is quite strong in general. I'm more concerned about what happens if we don't get van Dijk.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I doubt we are signing him. Bunch of idiots should go for real elite young talent (dybala, dembele, mbappe)

Yeah, this is going to be the Verratti saga all over again. Liverpool has no incentive to sell, important season coming up for them

Gerard Romero says Barca reps are in Germany to try and close a Dembele deal. Hope that happens, not confident in that either.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I'm sure if Coutinho is sold it's something that management will have spoken to at length with Klopp, and I'm sure Klopp is the direct link to the player so he knows where his head is at.

Klopp has been in these situations before and I'm sure that it's a frustrating situation to be in but he's a professional and Coutinho is replaceable. It's just important that they actually re-invest the money and do it properly so Klopp can integrate the new player ASAP.

I'm not in the camp that thinks losing Coutinho would be devastating because I do think our team is quite strong in general. I'm more concerned about what happens if we don't get van Dijk.

'Member when Liverpool fans thought losing Sterling was fine because Ibe is better?

I 'member.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
'Member when Liverpool fans thought losing Sterling was fine because Ibe is better?

I 'member.
I believe he was part of the group that believed that.

You don't replace elite talent easily. Suarez, Coutinho are that level of talent.

I don't see Liverpool selling Coutinho as they don't need the money and they cannot find a proper replacement.

Also imagine the PR storm if you have been telling fans that money is not an issue and then without spending anything close to what was inititally rumored and denied your 2 main targets you just sell your best player. It does not make any sense.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I 'member.

Did losing Sterling really hurt Liverpool though? It facilitated the buying of Firmino, and then we replaced Sterling later on with Mane, who is better. Yeah, Ibe stagnated but it happens. Sterling wasn't carrying Liverpool anywhere or anything and we got two better players to fill his spot in the team afterward.

If Coutinho is replaced in a similar fashion Liverpool will be even better, as mentioned. But losing him isn't going to be the difference between top 4 and not for Liverpool since, in theory, his spot from last season was already replaced by Salah (effectively Mane really) who is more effective on the wing than Coutinho was.

Maybe it's the difference between winning the league or a trophy if we can't find a top midfielder, but realistically speaking with Mane all season and the addition of Salah and a healthy Henderson the team is already better than last year (especially when you consider that most of the team is still fairly young and should be improving). Add Solanke, Sturridge, Grujic, Kent, Woodburn, a 'new and improved' Moreno, Robertson, Gomez and TAA the real glaring issue is at CB with Klavan backing up Lovren/Matip.

Obviously having Coutinho in midfield for this season would be a big plus and likely help the team depth wise and maybe give it that extra push to challenge for the title, but ultimately he's not going to be the difference between finishing top 4 or not, IMO, and losing him doesn't make us worse than last season.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Did losing Sterling really hurt Liverpool though? It facilitated the buying of Firmino, and then we replaced Sterling later on with Mane, who is better. Yeah, Ibe stagnated but it happens. Sterling wasn't carrying Liverpool anywhere or anything and we got two better players to fill his spot in the team afterward.

If Coutinho is replaced in a similar fashion Liverpool will be even better, as mentioned. But losing him isn't going to be the difference between top 4 and not for Liverpool since, in theory, his spot from last season was already replaced by Salah (effectively Mane really) who is more effective on the wing than Coutinho was.

Maybe it's the difference between winning the league or a trophy if we can't find a top midfielder, but realistically speaking with Mane all season and the addition of Salah and a healthy Henderson the team is already better than last year (especially when you consider that most of the team is still fairly young and should be improving). Add Solanke, Sturridge, Grujic, Kent, Woodburn, a 'new and improved' Moreno, Robertson, Gomez and TAA the real glaring issue is at CB with Klavan backing up Lovren/Matip.

Obviously having Coutinho in midfield for this season would be a big plus and likely help the team depth wise and maybe give it that extra push to challenge for the title, but ultimately he's not going to be the difference between finishing top 4 or not, IMO, and losing him doesn't make us worse than last season.

Sure bud. Liverpool had to wait until the final day to make it to 4th and finished 1 point ahead of 5th but losing their most important midfielder won't make any difference and they're guaranteed top 4.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sure bud. Liverpool had to wait until the final day to make it to 4th and finished 1 point ahead of 5th but losing their most important midfielder won't make any difference and they're guaranteed top 4.

Sure bud. That same team that missed Henderson, Coutinho and Mane for a large chunk and wasn't even playing Coutinho in the midfield last season, but somehow will be losing their 'most important midfielder' who didn't even play midfield. They already played without many of their best players last season for large chunks and still made top 4 easily dispatching of Arsenal in the process. If Coutinho leaves it's a similar team only with, in theory, a healthy Mane, Henderson and Salah replacing Coutinho as a forward. Then of course most of the team is/was under 26 and coming into their primes.

Whatever floats your boat though.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Maybe it was a distraction but it still is because Barca still hasn't sent back the transfer agreement papaer, thus blocking Neymar from playing this weekend (if not given by friday).

Once again, Barca act like sore losers.

Last I heard a couple of days ago was that the league hadn't sent the paperwork, and I think you yourself posted this as well, and that they had a week to send it. Not saying it isn't Barça, but that was the last I read.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Sure bud. That same team that missed Henderson, Coutinho and Mane for a large chunk and wasn't even playing Coutinho in the midfield last season, but somehow will be losing their 'most important midfielder' who didn't even play midfield. They already played without many of their best players last season for large chunks and still made top 4 easily dispatching of Arsenal in the process. If Coutinho leaves it's a similar team only with, in theory, a healthy Mane, Henderson and Salah replacing Coutinho as a forward. Then of course most of the team is/was under 26 and coming into their primes.

Whatever floats your boat though.

Ha! "Easily". 76 points vs 75 points. "Easily". I feel bad for the ridicule you will get if Liverpool don't make top 4.

But then again you survived gems like Henderson = top 5 midfielder and Ibe > Sterling.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Looks like Zenit bought every available Argentinian prospect

I still doubt it's a good idea to have so many players from the same country that are not domestic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad