2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
It's okay. There aren't 5 CBs on planet earth better than Lovren.

I think that was more to give his back line confidence, more than anything else. Especially Lovren who from time to time needs positive reinforcement

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think that was more to give his back line confidence, more than anything else. Especially Lovren who from time to time needs positive reinforcement

I don't buy that. Sorry.

I don't think they had a Plan B to VVD and they are trying to spin it positively if they can't get him.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Barca really do need to get moving. Still a lot of holes and lack of depth in their roster, and all of their best players are 28-30. Just a lot of mistakes left on that roster.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Scenes when Van Dijk goes to Chelsea. :laugh:

Realistic and completely, intentionally spiteful by Southampton if it happens. My problem isn't if Van Dijk goes elsewhere. My problem is that LFC clearly don't have an alternative if that happens.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I have no idea why the concept of a formal transfer request seems to be treated as meaningful by the British media. It's almost entirely meaningless. The only effect it can have is that a player might not be eligible for a loyalty bonus despite staying, and from what I heard, even that is something few agents have even heard of. It's basically entirely symbolic and doesn't have the power to change anything.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I have no idea why the concept of a formal transfer request seems to be treated as meaningful by the British media. It's almost entirely meaningless. The only effect it can have is that a player might not be eligible for a loyalty bonus despite staying, and from what I heard, even that is something few agents have even heard of. It's basically entirely symbolic and doesn't have the power to change anything.

It's all a joke.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'll be annoyed if Chelsea goes after Van Dijk. There are 2 positions that we do not have to do anything about, GK and CB. If we get Van Dijk it means either Christensen is gone or they plan on playing Azpilicueta at wing-back, both of which would not be great ideas.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/f...ll-cliches-10-stages-protracted-transfer-saga

Chapter VI – The "Come-And-Get-Me" Plea

As outlined in Chapter III, the "hands-off" warning has an evil twin. It arrives in the form of the "come-and-get-me" plea. An even more awkardly-named cliché, the "come-and-get-me" plea is the clear declaration from the player that, after the derisory opening bid, he now wants to leave the club, despite his earlier pledge of loyalty.

Perhaps rather a tabloid device, it's often a precursor for slapping in a written transfer request – verbal, emailed, texted, tweeted or carrier-pigeoned transfer requests are, regrettably, few and far between. While the bid rejection succeeds in at least stalling the inevitable, the club's reaction to their player's request to leave matters not a jot. For the record, though, the written transfer request is turned down.

In extreme cases, the selling club (for that is what they will surely be) banishes the player to train with the reserves or the youth team, an fate universally known as being "frozen out".

After this spectacular act of face-spite-induced nose removal, the club then prepares itself for the player's departure. Such a decision may indicate that the chairman/manager is a learned student of the PTS, and recognises that resistance is futile.

As a side note, it must be added that this is a precarious, pivotal stage for the player. If they get injured and the deal collapses, the already frozen-out player will find themselves in the terrifying-sounding transfer limbo. The only viable way of escaping transfer limbo is to humbly withdraw the written transfer request request and knuckle down once more.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Scenes when Van Dijk goes to Chelsea. :laugh:

I would laugh actually. Only Liverpool could blow it when a player publicly stated they wanted to go there, then sat out of training so he could go there, then put in a transfer request so he could go there.

That series of events should be amusing to anyone.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'll be annoyed if Chelsea goes after Van Dijk. There are 2 positions that we do not have to do anything about, GK and CB. If we get Van Dijk it means either Christensen is gone or they plan on playing Azpilicueta at wing-back, both of which would not be great ideas.

And when exactly has that stopped them before?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Tbh if I were Spurs or Arsenal, I'd push for VvD as well. Toby's contract issue and Koscielny is old/injury prone.

But I think Liverpool will get it done.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Telegraph is reporting that Chelsea will sign 3+ players by end of window and mentioned Van Dijk, Aurier, Drinkwater, Oxlade-Chamberlin, Barkley, and Candreva.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Telegraph is reporting that Chelsea will sign 3+ players by end of window and mentioned Van Dijk, Aurier, Drinkwater, Oxlade-Chamberlin, Barkley, and Candreva.
Crazy that Chelsea are so desperate to fill the English players quota that they have to look at the likes of Drinkwater.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Crazy that Chelsea are so desperate to fill the English players quota that they have to look at the likes of Drinkwater.

He's perfect for the 4th midfielder role though. Easy transition in knowing Kante, fills the home-grown role, and he would presumably accept a rotational role on a top side.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Just watching Barca for the first time this preseason... with 3 weeks left until the window closes they have to find Ney's replacement, fill the other holes in the team, and trim the fat.... Good LUCK.

Gomes, Douglas, Turan and Munir all need to leave. Like yesterday.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
West Ham signs some 18 year old Montenegran from Sweden, Sead Haksabanovic.

Hopefully he hits the ground running like Toni Martinez has.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
West Ham signs some 18 year old Montenegran from Sweden, Sead Haksabanovic.

Hopefully he hits the ground running like Toni Martinez has.

He's been very good on a bad team. Physically very matured. Sounds like they paid €3.5M so should really believe in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad