2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lovren and Mignolet are all more than good enough, and still improving. Can I'm still on the fence about but we'll see as time goes on. I don't think he's a smart enough player to be someone who helps Liverpool push to the title or win trophies but I think he can be a good depth piece.

Henderson and Lovren cannot stay healthy. This is a problem. Matip was very injury prone last season as well. They are two injuries away from Klavan-Gomez starting at CB. I am not really sure how they are supposed to challenge for anything, if that is their pairing for a prolonged period. The expectations for the team has changed, and they only have themselves to blame if they don't reinforce.

I think Lovren would be one of the best backup CB options in the league, but he is very shaky as a starter. I am not in love with Matip either. I think he has to prove more this season, (which he has the tools to), CB is a position of weakness.

More importantly the midfield is short. It was short before Lallana went down too. Especially from a creativity standpoint, they are very short handed. They need more. Henderson is underrated here, but he can certainly be upgraded on. I don't think anyone here rates Gini as highly as you. I think he is a very nice player, but he does not deserve to be an automatic starter at this point, and certainly can be upgraded.

Liverpool are caught again with having no Plan B's to their primary targets at key positions. Money is not an excuse either, it is lack of preparedness. Liverpool was ready to make VVD the most expensive transferred center back of all time. They bid around 70m for Keita And they can find anyone else to spend the money on? I refust to believe that VVD and Keita are the only two players on Earth that Klopp thinks would improve the team. Salah was not even first choice himself, luckily he looks good, but deficiencies at CM and CB will doom the team, if they are not taken care of. Mane and Wijnaldum were both backup plans last summer and they turned out alright. Its sickening and they only have themselves to blame.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Are you serious? Liverpool is doing something similar with Sakho.

Not even close.

Liverpool were prepared to make VVD the most expensively transferred CB of all time, offering a more than fair price. Sakho will be sold as soon as someone pays what Liverpool is asking for. Also Sakho has not submitted a transfer request, and Van Dijk hadn't done anything to lose the faith of the manager the previous season.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Not even close.

Liverpool were prepared to make VVD the most expensively transferred CB of all time, offering a more than fair price. Sakho will be sold as soon as someone pays what Liverpool is asking for. Also Sakho has not submitted a transfer request, and Van Dijk hadn't done anything to lose the faith of the manager the previous season.

Both teams are holding on to their player which they have every right to as they are under contract. Questioning Southampton's ethics and legality regarding this is silly.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Southampton have done nothing wrong. They will have to sell him though, and they are probably not going to keep him past the deadline. If they keep him until January they'll definitely lose money, and their squad may not be good enough to avoid the bottom of mid-table.

But I believe they will make Liverpool wait until deadline day and make them pay more than the fees mentioned so far. It will get ugly.

Also, this situation as well as the current transfer market is going to lead to shorter contracts or more release clauses.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Both teams are holding on to their player which they have every right to as they are under contract. Questioning Southampton's ethics and legality regarding this is silly.

No. Southampton accepts the amount that Liverpool is prepared to offer from any other club. They are punishing the player because they don't want to sell to LFC despite the players transfer request and the player being fined by the club.

Sakho has not taken any such action and his price tag has not been met. Liverpool have also not punished Sakho. It is a completely different situation.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
No. Southampton accepts the amount that Liverpool is prepared to offer from any other club. They are punishing the player because they don't want to sell to LFC despite the players transfer request and the player being fined by the club.

Sakho has not taken any such action and his price tag has not been met. It is a completely different situation.

But Southampton is doing nothing wrong. If Sakho was acting like an ass like Van Dijk is Liverpool would be treating him the same way.

They did something similar to Suarez by making him train alone when Liverpool outright rejected Arsenal's bid even though they triggered his release clause.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
But Southampton is doing nothing wrong. If Sakho was acting like an ass like Van Dijk is Liverpool would be treating him the same way.

They did something similar to Suarez by making him train alone when Liverpool outright rejected Arsenal's bid even though they triggered his release clause.

But they aren't. And Southampton are.

Suarez' strike was brief, Gerrard talked him out of it even though Arsenal tampered. The rest was history

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

Sakho has not taken any such action and his price tag has not been met. Liverpool have also not punished Sakho. It is a completely different situation.

A football club has the right to choose who to sell a player to just like a hockey club has the right to choose who to trade a player to. If I'm Southampton, I try to ship him abroad rather than a top 5ish team that it would help nick possibly 6 points off me in the season.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
But they aren't. And Southampton are.

Suarez' strike was brief, Gerrard talked him out of it even though Arsenal tampered. The rest was history

I guess PSG tampered with Neymar based on your stupid logic.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Yeah, Southamption is definitely not in the wrong, and Liverpool is. If you want the player, then submit a bid. It's ridiculous to get mad at a team and trash them for not selling, when you've never made an offer.

It's even more hilarious that you openly declare you want this player so badly that you've made no back-up plan if you strike out.

Things would be a lot different if Liverpool had a 60 million pound bid in, probably a more than fair evaluation, and Southampton was all, "Nah, we want to spite you".

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, Southamption is definitely not in the wrong, and Liverpool is. If you want the player, then submit a bid. It's ridiculous to get mad at a team and trash them for not selling, when you've never made an offer.

It's even more hilarious that you openly declare you want this player so badly that you've made no back-up plan if you strike out.

Things would be a lot different if Liverpool had a 60 million pound bid in, probably a more than fair evaluation, and Southampton was all, "Nah, we want to spite you".

Yes the LFC front office is very terrible. We are aware of this.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not really sure how that is ethical or legal, but it just means no one besides LFC will pay their price tag, and they are being spiteful.

Not even close.

Indeed it's not close.
In one case, a player is sent to youth teams even though he's at the very least second best defenseman on the team and loves the team as well and forced to be there until he accepts a loan.

In the other case, a player under contract throws a tantrum for his contract to be breached even though the team is not selling. The team refuses to breach the contract and sends him to the reserves.

Indeed, not close. Though I do know where the "nonethical" comes from.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

[citation needed]

Southampton has an internal price set, Liverpool has yet to meet it. They'll wait until the deadline to see if Liverpool, or anyone else, meets it. If not, they'll go with the highest bidder and spend that money in January.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah I really disagree with that....

If Liverpool wants to be a longterm top4 team they need to replace these guys in their first 11.

These guys are not good enough for a top level team.

That's just not true. Mignolet was great last season and as long as he's confident he'll continue to be a great option. Wijnaldum was probably our most consistent player against top teams last season and is quietly one of the coaches favourite players. Henderson was the best 6 in the league on his form last season before his injury and adapted extremely well to that role. There's a reason our team didn't lose a single game against the top 7 in the PL last year and it's not because Henderson, Wijnaldum, Henderson or Lovren weren't good enough.

This is why I get upset at Liverpool fans. Again, you lose your best player, and again, you think the team will be a top club. Like, get out of here.

Coutinho isn't our best player. Klopp has also built the team in a way that is more important than any one player anyway.

Arsenal's starting XI in game 1 of the 2016-2017 Premier League season against Liverpool.

Sanchez
Iwobi-Ramsey-Walcott
Coquelin-ElNeny
Bellerin-Chambers-Holding-Monreal

Against a full Liverpool starting XI. Liverpool barely won. Is why Arsenal finished behind you guys. Simple as that.

Liverpool went up 4-1 and stopped playing. They didn't 'barely win', and if you watched the game you know there was a vast gulf in class when they were actually playing. But if that's your excuse then the only reason that Arsenal was close to Liverpool was because they had to field teams without Mane, Coutinho, Henderson, Matip and Lovren for a good chunk of the season. I guess we can all play that game.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Neymar's release clause was public. Suarez' release clause was private; yet Arsenal knew to bid one dollar over it?

It's not private. It's not part of the public domain, but obviously the player and his agent are free to inform other clubs about the value of the buyout - anything else would completely destroy the point of any such clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad