2017 Summer Transfers and Rumors Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There is also still not a single English source reporting any of this stuff directly. Only unreliable upon unreliable.

Coutinho was also at training getting treatment for his back.

Liverpool remain adamant that Philippe Coutinho will not be sold and insist Barcelona are wasting their time travelling to England to try to secure a deal for the Brazil forward.

A delegation of Barcelona directors comprising Oscar Grau, Raul Sanllehi and Javier Bordas were reported to have arrived in England on Tuesday morning as the club step up their efforts to sign Coutinho.

Liverpool rejected a £72 million offer from Barcelona for Coutinho more than a fortnight ago, but while there has since been further contact between the sides, the Merseyside club are adamant the 25-year-old will remain at Anfield.

But while the Catalan club hope to make in-roads with their pursuit before facing Real Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup on Sunday in the belief that Coutinho wants to join them, Liverpool are unaware of any plans for talks over the player and will not welcome any more approaches.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...wasting-time-philippe-coutinho-say-liverpool/

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Except Arsenal and other teams have made signings to improve their team. And how can you guess that they will be healthier? Injuries happen and Klopp's style of play is physically taxing on players.

The transfer window isn't over yet but for you to be so confident that Liverpool will finish top 4 when they're about to lose Coutinho and missing out on their top targets so far is baffling.

Not every team needs to be improved from the outside; some just need time to develop, play together, and be healthy. Also Salah, Solanke and Robertson have all looked very good in pre-season and were signed this window. What has Chelsea/Arsenal/Tottenham done that's so much better than those signings?

They may or may not lose Coutinho, and the window is still open. Most places believe Liverpool should still get van Dijk, and it's very likely they'll buy a replacement for Coutinho should he go. I'm confident because I believe in the team, the manager, and the players from what they've shown last season and into this pre-season. They weren't a team that needed to add a lot to step up a level. A defender, a forward and maybe a midfielder. Coutinho moving back provided the midfielder, Salah/Solanke were forward additions and we added Robertson (though they still need a CB, which is what I said before).

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Not every team needs to be improved from the outside; some just need time to develop, play together, and be healthy. Also Salah, Solanke and Robertson have all looked very good in pre-season and were signed this window. What has Chelsea/Arsenal/Tottenham done that's so much better than those signings?

They may or may not lose Coutinho, and the window is still open. Most places believe Liverpool should still get van Dijk, and it's very likely they'll buy a replacement for Coutinho should he go. I'm confident because I believe in the team, the manager, and the players from what they've shown last season and into this pre-season. They weren't a team that needed to add a lot to step up a level. A defender, a forward and maybe a midfielder. Coutinho moving back provided the midfielder, Salah/Solanke were forward additions and we added Robertson (though they still need a CB, which is what I said before).

Oh I don't know...maybe signing a consistent 20 goal scorer from Ligue 1 and a left back that was named on the Bundesliga team of the year.

But I guess to you Solanke>Lacazette and Robertson>Kolasinac.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, I've does have more physical tools. His upside at a point was similar. There are articles from non crack pot journalists to support that. https://www.google.com/amp/www.manc.../man-city-liverpool-sterling-ibe-11618384.amp

Jaime Redknapp and Mark Lawrenson have forgotten more about football than you ever knew.

That one is from ten seconds of googling.

Things play out. The amount of players who are the Welsh Messi or next Ronaldo is what the media gets their hits on. Get over yourself.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Oh I don't know...maybe signing a consistent 20 goal scorer from Ligue 1 and a left back that was named on the Bundesliga team of the year.

But I guess to you Solanke>Lacazette and Robertson>Kolasinac.

Lacazette provided 27 goals and 5 assists from open play last season, and Salah provided 19 goals and 15 assists from open play last season. Is that a convenient exclusion from your comparison? Solanke was to provide depth and huge upside, which he does, and Kolasinac is replacing Monreal who was underrated and quite good while Robertson is replacing a makeshift leftback who was serviceable at the position (which also allows us to have more depth in midfield/wing with Milner's versatility and his being better suited to those areas). Salah also being there allows Liverpool to upgrade their midfield by moving Coutinho back (or whoever his replacement would be if this Barcelona thing actually does happen) improving our team there as well.

But if you think Arsenal has improved leaps and bounds over what others teams have done all the power to you.

Yes, both Ex-Liverpool players said that. Just like ex-Liverpool player Steven Gerrard said Joe Cole can do anything better than Messi.

Talented players flame out all the time. The point is that from coaches/managers to ex-players to other fans have all seen the talent that Ibe has and have lauded him for it. Maybe he doesn't have the brain or mentality to put it all together but at similar ages at times Ibe looked the brighter prospect. He's still very young to be written off also. The list of extremely talented players that never put it together is long and storied.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Lacazette provided 27 goals and 5 assists from open play last season, and Salah provided 19 goals and 15 assists from open play last season. Is that a convenient exclusion from your comparison? Solanke was to provide depth and huge upside, which he does, and Kolasinac is replacing Monreal who was underrated and quite good while Robertson is replacing a makeshift leftback who was serviceable at the position (which also allows us to have more depth in midfield/wing with Milner's versatility and his being better suited to those areas). Salah also being there allows Liverpool to upgrade their midfield by moving Coutinho back (or whoever his replacement would be if this Barcelona thing actually does happen) improving our team there as well.

But if you think Arsenal has improved leaps and bounds over what others teams have done all the power to you.

Salah is a wing forward while Lacazette is a pure striker. Also Serie A has a higher goals per game ratio (2.9) vs Ligue 1 (2.61) so you will find Serie A players will have more offensive stats compared to Ligue 1.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Salah is a wing forward while Lacazette is a pure striker. Also Serie A has a higher goals per game ratio (2.9) vs Ligue 1 (2.61) so you will find Serie A players will have more offensive stats compared to Ligue 1.

Right but Liverpool didn't need to upgrade at striker. They have Firmino who is invaluable to the team and the way Klopp plays. They put a lot of their reliance on scoring to the wings and midfield (which Firmino facilitates). So I don't know why you're bringing up Solanke in comparison to Lacazette when he's not a first team player and ignoring Salah, who would be, when you're talking about improvements to their teams and also ignoring their relative level of improvement to the team or how it allows the team to function with Robertson/Coutinho/Milner vs. Kolasinac/Monreal etc.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Right but Liverpool didn't need to upgrade at striker. They have Firmino who is invaluable to the team and the way Klopp plays. They put a lot of their reliance on scoring to the wings and midfield (which Firmino facilitates). So I don't know why you're bringing up Solanke in comparison to Lacazette when he's not a first team player and ignoring Salah, who would be, when you're talking about improvements to their teams and also ignoring their relative level of improvement to the team or how it allows the team to function with Robertson/Coutinho/Milner vs. Kolasinac/Monreal etc.

Except you're doing the same thing. You're assuming that Arsenal hasn't improved at all and is not even close to Liverpool's level which is laughable.

I mean someone like Edo posts nonsense but it's clear he's trolling. But you actually BELIEVE IT!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Except you're doing the same thing. You're assuming that Arsenal hasn't improved at all and is not even close to Liverpool's level which is laughable.

I mean someone like Edo posts nonsense but it's clear he's trolling. But you actually BELIEVE IT!

When did I say anything negative about Arsenal in reference to this season? Where did I say they didn't improve?

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Ok the topic of transfers... Lemina to Southampton is finalized.
17€M + 3€M Add ons

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Talented players flame out all the time. The point is that from coaches/managers to ex-players to other fans have all seen the talent that Ibe has and have lauded him for it. Maybe he doesn't have the brain or mentality to put it all together but at similar ages at times Ibe looked the brighter prospect. He's still very young to be written off also. The list of extremely talented players that never put it together is long and storied.

I recall only seing Ibe > Sterling from Liverpool supporters. And this was probably because of the sourgrapes when he left for City.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I recall only seing Ibe > Sterling from Liverpool supporters. And this was probably because of the sourgrapes when he left for City.

Well how many people here watch youth English football, and specifically the Liverpool youth team? Mostly Liverpool supporters would be the people that would have watched them with a frame of reference. The situations were always going to be different in terms of actual exposure to a larger group of people and with Ibe not taking the next step it's easy to look back in hindsight and call it lunacy, but again you could say that about so many players that didn't end up making it at the top level because they stagnated or just didn't have the right mentality. Some still go on to be successful players (van der Vaart, ben Arfa, Quaresma as recent examples) but such is youth...they're hard to predict.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Well how many people here watch youth English football, and specifically the Liverpool youth team? Mostly Liverpool supporters would be the people that would have watched them with a frame of reference. The situations were always going to be different in terms of actual exposure to a larger group of people and with Ibe not taking the next step it's easy to look back in hindsight and call it lunacy, but again you could say that about so many players that didn't end up making it at the top level because they stagnated or just didn't have the right mentality. Some still go on to be successful players (van der Vaart, ben Arfa, Quaresma as recent examples) but such is youth...they're hard to predict.

TBH I think it was revisionist history because Sterlin was labelled a greedy ******* for leaving for City at the time. He had way more appearances at the same age and had some amazing games at a young age in the PL. Then suddenly, he went from next CR7 to next Scott Sinclair overnight.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
There's a big difference between potential and actual performance. One could look to the amount of academy starlets that get paraded around the Emirates alone and fill a massive roster.

I recall the Sterling move, and I did feel Ibe could improve and maybe take some of the sting of the loss. But Sterling had already shown he could do more playing week in and week out, and it would have been foolish to think it was a sure thing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
My frame of mind was pretty simple. I was annoyed with how Sterling left, but he had also shown in that last season with Liverpool that he wasn't taking a step forward and there were some big red flags that he wouldn't be able to (and he didn't react very well to being the guy that Liverpool were relying on to 'carry' a lot of our offence). He was already a fine player, but the potential was certainly (and still is) there for Ibe to become a better one or as good. The thing about Sterling is that he is still young too so if he can figure it out in the final third certainly he can really make us miss him even more. I don't think he's really progressed beyond what he showed at 18 though at City, which is a fine player but nothing to lose sleep over.

Ibe is 21 now and I think this could be the make or break season for him; all reports are that he's looked very good in preseason so we'll see if he carries it over.

They're both still very young and there's a lot that can happen between now and 5 years from now. Ultimately Liverpool replaced them both well so I'm not losing sleep over it.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
There's a big difference between potential and actual performance. One could look to the amount of academy starlets that get paraded around the Emirates alone and fill a massive roster.

arsene-wenger4_3572157b.jpg

Don't remind me. :help:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
TBH I think it was revisionist history because Sterlin was labelled a greedy ******* for leaving for City at the time. He had way more appearances at the same age and had some amazing games at a young age in the PL. Then suddenly, he went from next CR7 to next Scott Sinclair overnight.

That is the way I remember it too. Also, how anyone could watch Ibe and Sterling at youth level and think they were comparable, I have no idea. I did think Ibe would make it at Liverpool though. The only thing Ibe did better than Sterling was shoot from distance.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That's not the only thing he does better, and Ibe was an absolute monster at youth level, and was very bright for Liverpool in cameos before everything went south. That said it's not a discussion for here anymore.

I think Dembele is more likely to go than Coutinho but if they got both that wouldn't be a bad return for Neymar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad