Waltham
Tier 1:
Barcelona
Bayern Munchen
Real Madrid

Tier 2:
Atletico Madrid
Juventus

Tier 3 almost changes every year. Usually City, PSG and Chelsea are top of that list.

Regardless, I can't see how Dortmund is considered a top 5 team in Europe. Maybe in the top 10.

In Europe I agree with this pretty well but City I don't consider in Tier 3. PSG and Chelsea I'd say are above Dortmund.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I love how it's ridiculous to think Falcao is better than Auba :laugh:
And to use his two "seasons" in the EPL coming off ACL no less as a proof (while we CAN'T use Auba's L1 stats of course).
It's not as if Falcao was considered the consensus best #9 in the world. Not as if he scored 52 goals in 68 games in la Liga. 57 goals in 71 career european games.
Nah....
Let's focus on his two injury recovery years in the mightiest league.

Meanwhile Auba has 22 goals in 49 european games.
This year, both players had 7 goals, except one scored half of his against Benfica.

But sure, it's ridiculous.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I love how it's ridiculous to think Falcao is better than Auba :laugh:
And to use his two "seasons" in the EPL coming off ACL no less as a proof (while we CAN'T use Auba's L1 stats of course).
It's not as if Falcao was considered the consensus best #9 in the world. Not as if he scored 52 goals in 68 games in la Liga. 57 goals in 71 career european games.
Nah....
Let's focus on his two injury recovery years in the mightiest league.

Meanwhile Auba has 22 goals in 49 european games.
This year, both players had 7 goals, except one scored half of his against Benfica.

But sure, it's ridiculous.

Personally, I never considered him that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Falcao at Atleti is not the same as the Falcao now. At one point he was one if not the best 9 in the world. With the exception of Lio.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Falcao at Atleti is not the same as the Falcao now. At one point he was one if not the best 9 in the world. With the exception of Lio.

Nah. Large percentage of his goals were penalties, he offered very little apart from the goals, and even his renowned finishing is pretty average compared to his xG. He was never the best striker in the world.

BxbxRFlCQAAPYpv.png

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
:facepalm:
I remember him dancing around Barca players from midfield and scoring. He was completely dominant at times.
To say he wasn't that good of a finisher and was mainly a penalty shooter is just laughable.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Of course he isn't, but as I've said from the start of the season, he's slowly coming back to form.
To use his two seasons in the EPL as an argument is so ridiculous.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
:facepalm:
I remember him dancing around Barca players from midfield and scoring. He was completely dominant at times.
To say he wasn't that good of a finisher and was mainly a penalty shooter is just laughable.

Who said that?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Large relative to many other strikers. One year he was at 28% and the other at 21%. Higuain and Benzema both took zero penalties in La Liga over that period since Penaldo had those responsibilities. When you adjust for that and the fact that they split time and played far fewer minutes than Falcao, their goal scoring far exceeds Falcao's. As the graphic shows, Diego Costa's non-penalty goals+assists numbers per minute were also better over the same period as Falcao played for Atletico.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And he didn't have the same supporting cast. So.... you know....

Anyone who watched him back then can tell you he was a one man wrecking crew.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
And he didn't have the same supporting cast. So.... you know....

Anyone who watched him back then can tell you he was a one man wrecking crew.

He had the same supporting cast as Diego Costa, who peaked a couple years later, had better non-penalty goal+assist numbers, and was never considered the best striker in the world.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I said Diego Costa was never considered the best #9 on the planet, despite producing more per minute than Falcao. I know plenty of people thought Falcao was.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Only clicked the last article, but even there it talks about how Messi is a false 9 so they don't consider him which is dumb.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I said Diego Costa was never considered the best #9 on the planet, despite producing more per minute than Falcao. I know plenty of people thought Falcao was.

Ah sorry, misunderstood.

Yes, Costa was never considered best in the world because people... you know... they watch football, not stats.
And Falcao was a MUCH better striker than Costa.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Only clicked the last article, but even there it talks about how Messi is a false 9 so they don't consider him which is dumb.

Is Messi's included, then nobody would rank anyone above.
Back then Messi wasn't considered a fulltime 9.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Is Messi's included, then nobody would rank anyone above.
Back then Messi wasn't considered a fulltime 9.

Wasn't he though? Who else would have been? Sure, he was more of a false 9, but that's still a 9 nonetheless. Now, I would argue, he isn't a 9. But then, I thought he was. Of course that's like 5 years ago now, so I could be misremembering in terms of his positions over time

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Ah sorry, misunderstood.

Yes, Costa was never considered best in the world because people... you know... they watch football, not stats.
And Falcao was a MUCH better striker than Costa.

Falcao didn't quite pass the eye test for me either as best striker in the world material.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Wasn't he though? Who else would have been? Sure, he was more of a false 9, but that's still a 9 nonetheless. Now, I would argue, he isn't a 9. But then, I thought he was. Of course that's like 5 years ago now, so I could be misremembering in terms of his positions over time

His change was recent however.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
A lot of talk of consensus in this thread. Lewandowski. Falcao. Not really a part of either consensus of opinion as regards either case, especially Lewandowski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad