2017 Summer Not Transfer Discussion

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Actually, knowing the progress curve of those players is EXACTLY why I know more about them than you do.
I've followed Guerreiro since he's a kid. Through all his teams. Mendy is the same.

You two guys overrate anything BVB it's crazy. World class players all over the lineup :biglaugh:
Well, that's not how it works.
Guerreiro isn't one of the best LB in the game. He's a fantastic player, as I've said for years, but not THAT good.
Auba is exactly the same. Guy has freak tools and overall he had a better career than I thought he would. Because his football IQ was never very good to being with. He got very far in spite of that, good for him, he worked hard and deserves the kudos. Doesn't make him a WC striker however.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So is it safe for me to put a bet for Dortmund to win the Bundesliga and CL next year?

With the number one LB, best midfield in the world and top striker in Auba who could beat them?

The same guys who've beaten them the past 4 years and one of the truly elite clubs in world football who no one but the two spanish giants match; FCB.

PS no one ever called Guerreiro the #1 LB on the planet; that's obviously still Alaba; but he is one of the best...which is what was said.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Exqueeze me? :p

Or to yours. It doesn't matter. Being the first to say someone is good doesn't make your future opinions on the player right. Evilo barely watched Guerreiro and Dembele this year and he pretends their careers ended in France and they haven't changed as players at all one way or another.

So is it safe for me to put a bet for Dortmund to win the Bundesliga and CL next year?

With the number one LB, best midfield in the world and top striker in Auba who could beat them?

Who said that? And Auba is probably leaving.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Actually, knowing the progress curve of those players is EXACTLY why I know more about them than you do.
I've followed Guerreiro since he's a kid. Through all his teams. Mendy is the same.

You two guys overrate anything BVB it's crazy. World class players all over the lineup :biglaugh:
Guerreiro isn't one of the best LB in the game. He's a fantastic player, as I've said for years, but not THAT good.
Auba is exactly the same. Guy has freak tools and overall he had a better career than I thought he would. Because his football IQ was never very good to being with. He got very far in spite of that, good for him, he worked hard and deserves the kudos. Doesn't make him a WC striker however.

Depends what you see as WC. If you think someone being top 10 at their position makes them WC, then Dortmund does have a handful of world class players. Auba and Guerreiro are top 10 at their positions imo. Weigl is top 5.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

That's a little silly. Just because I've been watching Rudiger and Mustafi since before they could drive; doesn't mean I know more about how their development in Italy went than a Serie A fanatic who watched them regularly. Auba is the perfect exampe of this. You had your expectations for him, but you've missed much of his development in germany and so continue to hold onto your preconceptions; while ignoring the technical progress he's made or the poaching-instincts he's developed.

Guerriero slots into the top 10 at LB, and doesn't miss the top 5 by much. That's "one of the best" in my book.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Fabinho's on par with the Dortmund CMs, if he stays; but Tielemans is a clear step down from either one and I take both over Bakayoko pretty comfortably...he's more athletic and steely, but both are far more skilled and are simply superior footballers, even if they are inferior athletes.

Lets see how Mendy gets replaced before we start trumpeting mystery replacement X as superior to Guerriero.

Auba absolutely starts over Falcao alonside Mbappe, don't be silly.

Reus would start opposite Lemar/Dembele in Monaco's 4-4-2 with the two young frenchmen battling for the other wide spot. He's injured so often that his class is forgotten, but on the rare occassions that he is healthy Reus has been BVB's best attacker by a decisive margin.

So fun to see you discard Monaco players because they're either sold or, according to you, soon to be sold, yet you include Auba and everyone in your lineup.
Either you compare this year's roster, or next's. Make your choice.

Anyway, Auba would star over Falcao? Really? Falcao had 21 goals in 29 L1 games this year. Auba's best total in L1 is FREAKING 19. In 37 games :laugh:
I know, I know, I know, he's VASTLY superior now, as can be shown from his wonderful offsides against Monaco (you know, while Falcao scored).
As for Mbappé, let's not even talk about it, you can't be serious. I know who's silly, but it's certainly not me.
Reus would start opposite Lemar? Huh? Reus plays Lemar's position. Lemar was rated the best in L1 this year. As I said, it's VERY debatable someone healthy for 10 games would start over the best rated player in L1.
But even then, I gave you the "arguable" because I was kind enough.
So we're left with Silva vs Dembélé, and Silva would start obviously.
Mendy over Guerreiro any time of the week.

So we're left with what I wrote at the beginning : BVB would have 2, maybe 3 starters on Monaco's roster.
And even then I was being nice.
They'd have one at PSG.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
that's obviously still Alaba; but he is one of the best...which is what was said.
:laugh:
Marcelo says HI !

Evilo barely watched Guerreiro and Dembele this year and he pretends their careers ended in France and they haven't changed as players at all one way or another.
While you pretend signing that magic contract instantly makes them MUCH better players. They instantly change into super players.
That's BVB for you !

Weigl is top 5.
And it continues !!!

You had your expectations for him, but you've missed much of his development in germany and so continue to hold onto your preconceptions; while ignoring the technical progress he's made or the poaching-instincts he's developed.
Preconception? Like those offside Monaco games you mean? :nod:
So much better than Falcao who actually scored...

And how about Guerreiro? 10 months ago he was still with Lorient. Sitting on BVB's bench made him make SOOOOOO much progress... :amazed:

Incredible.
In the mean time, I remember when you wrote St Petersburg was as attractive as PSG.
Or when Draxler and Gotze were future Ballon d'Or winners.

You guys give a whole new meaning to the world "biased". Let's not forget the other BVB fan who said BVB was top 5 in Europe.

So much fun. :popcorn:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mendy is the only Monaco player I wrote off who hasn't already been sold, and that because I thought his transfer had been completed when I first responded. My B on that, but if you'd like to remove the likes of Auba/Mendy/Fabinho from the discussions, then that's fine. But Silva is already gone; so regardless of how you'd like to handle the Mendy/Auba/Fabinho's who are likely to leave, you can't cling to him.

BVB's midfield partnership starts for Monaco, Reus starts for Monaco on either wing, Lemar v Dembele will be determined by how much more Dembele's consistency improves next season; and then they either have Guerriero who starts in Mendy's vacated spot, or they have Auba to start next to Mbappe if we're still counting the likely-to-leave-soon's. That's 4 sure starters and Dembele...and if Bartra picked up where he left off before the bombing, he'd soon claim one of the CB spots.

But sure, just 2-3 BVB players get into Monaco's squad and we're the biased ones who laugh at well known things like Weigl already being one of the 5 best 6s in the sport.

PS Draxler & Gotze did have BdO potential before f***ing their development up with bad career choices...and I said that St Petersburg was also a beautiful city that I could see some preferring to the more busy & packed Paris; which isn't so absurd...for f***s sake, Luis Gustavo once chose the s***hole that is Wolfsburg over London because it was more his speed.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I compared this season's Monaco roster to this season's BVB roster.
How can you compare the future teams without knowing how they will line up?

Heck, forget Reus, he'll be injured anyway.

No way Weigl and whomever started the most this year over Fabinho/Bakayoko.

Bartra over the CB duo?
My god, that's so funny. :biglaugh:
You count Mendy as gone, but not Auba too?

You're reaching so much, it's delicious...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I thought Dortmund could've been top 5, but then they sold 2 World Class players last summer. It hurt them in the league as evidenced by a 14 pt drop in the table. It will definitely get worse with the departure of a great coach and one of the best scorers in the world.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I compared this season's Monaco roster to this season's BVB roster.
How can you compare the future teams without knowing how they will line up?

Heck, forget Reus, he'll be injured anyway.

No way Weigl and whomever started the most this year over Fabinho/Bakayoko.

Bartra over the CB duo?
My god, that's so funny. :biglaugh:
You count Mendy as gone, but not Auba too?

You're reaching so much, it's delicious...

Then why are we discussing Dahoud & Tielemans? Mo is the best midfielder either of these teams will have next season and he didn't play for either one last year. I assumed we were talking about what would happen if these teams were merged for next season.

Weigl was partnered by crap or Guerriero (when fit) this season, so obviously his partner wouldn't start next to him at Monaco as well; but he would absolutely start over Bakayoko, it's just absurd to even try argue otherwise with how massive Weigl's influence over BVB has been since his breakthrough...PS Fabinho & Weigl would be an almost unpressable partnership together.

Bartra was really playing exceptional football in the month or so leading up to the bombing. He had settled into the BVB structure against the ball, and was giving them a huge boost in their build up play. CB is a weakness for both teams, even though both have some good quality players there like Glik & Sokratis. So saying that if Bartra can play next season at the level he was playing before the bombing, he'd start for either team, isn't exactly a radical claim.

I counted Mendy as gone because I (mistakenly) thought that his transfer was official, like the Silva, Tielemans, Toprak, & Dahoud's transfers.

You're not wrong about Reus's inability to stay healthy...although the only thing that's delicious is how horribly Dahoud continues to be under-estimated. If he had been starting for our NT last summer, we'd have another European title to celebrate.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
So fun to see you discard Monaco players because they're either sold or, according to you, soon to be sold, yet you include Auba and everyone in your lineup.
Either you compare this year's roster, or next's. Make your choice.

Anyway, Auba would star over Falcao? Really? Falcao had 21 goals in 29 L1 games this year. Auba's best total in L1 is FREAKING 19. In 37 games :laugh:
I know, I know, I know, he's VASTLY superior now, as can be shown from his wonderful offsides against Monaco (you know, while Falcao scored).
As for Mbappé, let's not even talk about it, you can't be serious. I know who's silly, but it's certainly not me.
Reus would start opposite Lemar? Huh? Reus plays Lemar's position. Lemar was rated the best in L1 this year. As I said, it's VERY debatable someone healthy for 10 games would start over the best rated player in L1.
But even then, I gave you the "arguable" because I was kind enough.
So we're left with Silva vs Dembélé, and Silva would start obviously.
Mendy over Guerreiro any time of the week.

So we're left with what I wrote at the beginning : BVB would have 2, maybe 3 starters on Monaco's roster.
And even then I was being nice.
They'd have one at PSG.

C'mon now, Auba is very obviously vastly superior now than he was when he was at St. Etienne. He was just the first Bundesliga player since (iirc) Gerd Muller to score over 30 goals in a league season. Judging him versus Falcao based on a single tie in which he was offside is a level of nonsense that isn't becoming (or frankly, befitting) of you. Auba would start over Falcao, and to use "well, Falcao scored against BVB and Auba didn't" and "Auba scored 17 goals in Ligue 1 four years ago" is just plain lazy.

I also think you do underrate Julian Weigl (which many people often do).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Auba absolutely wouldn't start over Falcao.
Some people here don't get any idea of how performant Falcao was.
21 goals in 29 games is a huge ratio.
Of course Auba's better now, but he's hardly the incredible striker he's deemed by BVB fans here.
He's still that striker with low IQ who fails the offside trap.
He's the better athlete compated to Falcao, but that's it. Falcao is better in every single department : shot, aerial ability, play off the ball, leadership, ability in front of the net, etc...

AND YET, I said from the beginning that was arguable.
Saying most of the BVB starters would start over Monaco's is just plain wrong.
Just as I said in the beginning : 2, or 3, arguably.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just because of your ridiculous overrating of BVB. Saying they're better than Atletico and a top 5 team. Crazy...

And then the two headed monsters came up with '"Guerreiro is one of the top LB in the game", followed by "Weigl is top 5 at his position", and then "most of BVB's lineup would start over Monaco's, especially if you count Monaco's team being depleted by transfers while BVB keeps all its players", and all that crap.

All that came from your "BVB is a top 5 team in Europe". :nod:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Just because of your ridiculous overrating of BVB. Saying they're better than Atletico and a top 5 team. Crazy...

And then the two headed monsters came up with '"Guerreiro is one of the top LB in the game", followed by "Weigl is top 5 at his position", and then "most of BVB's lineup would start over Monaco's, especially if you count Monaco's team being depleted by transfers while BVB keeps all its players", and all that crap.

I mean, your stuff about who would start for ASM wasn't any better. As if Weigl had a hard time being on that pitch.

But I think everybody who isn't a BVB fan, and maybe even including them, would like to move back to topic, at this point.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

You are claiming Falcao is better than a player who had more goals this season than Lewandowski who is considered a consensus top 2 striker in the world. Listen to yourself. If Falcao was playing in China, and Germain was the starter, you'd be saying the same about him. You also think a 100 meter runner is better than Weigl.

By my count, Buerki, Sokratis, Weigl, Reus and Auba would all definitely start in a combined XI. Guerreiro's tough to fit into the equation because he's not really a LB, more of a LWB. But surely he has the quality to play an important role, whether its as a starter or off the bench. And then there's also a case for Dembele over Lemar, and maybe even over Mbappe. A fit Goetze also would start, although he hasn't been fit the last year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Auba absolutely wouldn't start over Falcao.
Some people here don't get any idea of how performant Falcao was.
21 goals in 29 games is a huge ratio.
Of course Auba's better now, but he's hardly the incredible striker he's deemed by BVB fans here.
He's still that striker with low IQ who fails the offside trap.
He's the better athlete compated to Falcao, but that's it. Falcao is better in every single department : shot, aerial ability, play off the ball, leadership, ability in front of the net, etc...

AND YET, I said from the beginning that was arguable.
Saying most of the BVB starters would start over Monaco's is just plain wrong.
Just as I said in the beginning : 2, or 3, arguably.

Your assessment of Auba is still stuck in your impressions of him from years ago. His IQ is a strength, at least in terms of his own movement; as he still doesn't have great vision as a passer; not a weakness by any stretch. Every striker falls for the offsides trap at times, that it happened in one of his few matches that you watched isn't an indictment of his IQ. Falcao may no longer have the pace to fall for it, but that says more about his body's decay than it does about other strikers' lack of IQ. And Auba absolutely does more than Falcao against the ball. In the air Falcao has an advantage, but Auba is also very dangerous.

All in all your critique of Aubamayeng is simply out-dated and fits the player he was, not the one he's become.

The first two quotes are accurate statements and the third quote is a work of fiction...but sure all that crap, not your steadfast refusal to accept that extraordinary young talent can exist without a french origin.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Jemerson > Bartra
Glik > Sokratis

I actually don't have to think about Glik vs. Sokratis for very long. Sokratis is just a good defender, but Glik is a little better and more solid. Even in the games I've watched Sokratis play well, I see him having wrong body position or being turned inside out a little too much.

Mendy > Guerreiro

Come on guys. Don't know how this is a contest.

Bakayoko << Weigl

Also don't know how that's a contest. I'd take Fabinho and Lemar over the rest of Dortmund's midfielders though.

Auba is so much better than Falcao that I really don't know how this is in dispute. Falcao just tried in another league and scored five goals in 41 games. Some of those games were cup ties against second and third division teams. There is frankly no way this would happen with Auba. The problem as it comes to when Monaco played Dortmund is simply that Dortmund doesn't have as much individual quality anymore. Their support players are always injured Reus, wonderkid Dembele, and almost wonderkid Pulisic. They're too young. Kagawa is good sometimes, but doesn't compare to Monaco's players.

I would also take Bernardo Silva over the current Dembele.

Not even getting into the Mbappe part of this discussion because in one year he'll have scored 30 goals and there's no point. Fwiw knowing what the future will hold I would take him over Auba.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I almost forgot about Tielemans, who seems to be super underrated here for some reason. Looked a lot better than Pogba when they played each other and obviously he's only 20 years old. People here will be messing their pants over him next season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I almost forgot about Tielemans, who seems to be super underrated here for some reason. Looked a lot better than Pogba when they played each other and obviously he's only 20 years old. People here will be messing their pants over him next season.

Nothing against Tielemans, but I rate Weigl & Dahoud more...although he would be a sweet third next to those two in a midfield trio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad