2017 Summer Not Transfer Discussion

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
A lot of talk of consensus in this thread. Lewandowski. Falcao. Not really a part of either consensus of opinion as regards either case, especially Lewandowski.

I missed the Lewandowski talk at first and had to go back to find it. I certainly don't have him as consensus top 2.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah, I saw that and didn't want to comment. Neither he or Mbappe are close to offering Messi's value imo and probably never will be. Dembele has work to do to get to the level of Neymar.

Well there's offering his value and then simply being the heir as the best player in the World. In the case of the latter, as I took the comment, exactly Neymar came to mind. That said I could see the likes of a Dembele being the heir after that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well I mean, at least the Dembélé potentially becoming the world's best player isn't out of the question. He's certainly got an insane amount of talent and is a prodigious dribbler. He'll need to learn to think the game a little better if he wants to win the Ballon d'Or one day but that's something that can come with experience.

I wouldn't have considered Falcao the best striker in the world but he was up there, and looks to have had a really nice season this year. Getting older and his injury history won't help him get back up there but I've never been a huge Aubameyang fan either so I wouldn't say Auba is better. He has time on his side maybe, and fitness. But the type of striker Falcao is also lends itself to aging better too. Speculative.

Besides Mbappé and Dembélé does anyone have any guesses about the next challengers for the Ballon d'Or post Ronaldo/Messi? I mean, Neymar is probably an obvious choice but maybe he'll be more of a stop-gap at the top?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well if Neymar is a "stop-gap" it will be because of his age relative to Messi and since for some reason he actually wins the award Ronaldo as well.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Well there's offering his value and then simply being the heir as the best player in the World. In the case of the latter, as I took the comment, exactly Neymar came to mind. That said I could see the likes of a Dembele being the heir after that.

It's unusual for a player to be so far above everyone else that they're clearly the best player in the world for basically a decade straight despite variations in form and such. Talking about him as the heir to Messi seems to imply that he'll have that sort of dominance. I don't expect that from any of the young players I've seen.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well if Neymar is a "stop-gap" it will be because of his age relative to Messi and since for some reason he actually wins the award Ronaldo as well.

That's kind of what I meant since he's 25 and we can probably see Messi and Ronaldo continue at the top for maybe another 2 years?

Though realistically I wouldn't be surprised either if Neymar closed the gap between those two and himself as early as next season. He's entering his prime while those two are both slowly declining each year.

Is Draxler a joke answer or serious? I know a lot of people thought he'd be pretty amazing but he had stagnated in recent years a bit though I know he played well with PSG.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I don't know about that.

Hard to say really off the top of my head. Mbappe' and Dembele look good shouts as of right now, Dybala too. After that I think you'd have to start considering other positions. CMs like Verratti and Thiago for me. CB like Varane if he can get it all together.

It's unusual for a player to be so far above everyone else that they're clearly the best player in the world for basically a decade straight despite variations in form and such. Talking about him as the heir to Messi seems to imply that he'll have that sort of dominance. I don't expect that from any of the young players I've seen.

I agree as they'll have some competition. Messi really didn't have any competition despite not getting the award as he should have.

That's kind of what I meant since he's 25 and we can probably see Messi and Ronaldo continue at the top for maybe another 2 years?

Though realistically I wouldn't be surprised either if Neymar closed the gap between those two and himself as early as next season. He's entering his prime while those two are both slowly declining each year.

I don't doubt that, but still clarifying the reason why.

I think the gap is closed between he and Ronaldo to a large degree. The problem is in part that Neymar while pulling the strings often enough is still pulling the strings for two other players. I think there's something to be said that if he left Barça he'd be "better" in the sense that he'd get more of the play.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't know about that.

Hard to say really off the top of my head. Mbappe' and Dembele look good shouts as of right now, Dybala too. After that I think you'd have to start considering other positions. CMs like Verratti and Thiago for me. CB like Varane if he can get it all together.

I thought you guys would get the joke.

My real answer would be Dybala.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
After Messi and Ronaldo there's a tier that comprises Neymar, Suarez, Modric, Dybala and Hazard. Possibly Cavani as well. Suarez and Modric I doubt will win a ballon d'or due to their age, so my vote goes to Neymar, Dybala or Hazard.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mbappé totally has the potential to be the top player in the world. I believe he'll win at least a Ballon d'Or at some point. Probably multiple.
Dembélé has the potential too, but I don't think he'll reach it if I had to guess. Maybe a finalist. But he sure will be a treat to watch for the next decade at least.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not sure Dybala is rated above Mbappé this year and certainly not next year either. Mbappé torches Dybala in scoring this year (both in league and CL), as well as in assists, while being obviously much younger.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well I have to say it struck me as an odd statement from you. Dahoud and I would have got it. :D

Do you think you're being funny by highlighting how badly you under-rate Mahmoud? You realize it just highlights how ignorant you are of the player instead, right?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Do you think you're being funny by highlighting how badly you under-rate Mahmoud? You realize it just highlights how ignorant you are of the player instead, right?

So by essentially saying that Dahoud won't be a challenger for the Ballon d'Or post Messi I am underrating Dahoud and am igorant of the player? OK.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Not sure Dybala is rated above Mbappé this year and certainly not next year either. Mbappé torches Dybala in scoring this year (both in league and CL), as well as in assists, while being obviously much younger.

L1 is ridicolous Evilo, can't compare the two on how many goals they scored. Dybala plays in the hardest league.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
So by essentially saying that Dahoud won't be a challenger for the Ballon d'Or post Messi I am underrating Dahoud and am igorant of the player? OK.

Especially since it is very hard for a midfielder to win against more offensive players.

Either way Dahoud first has to show he can take the next step at Dortmund. He has a very long way to go to even become an elite player, never mind world class or Ballon d'Or...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
L1 is ridicolous Evilo, can't compare the two on how many goals they scored. Dybala plays in the hardest league.

- Much harder to score in L1. And yet Mbappé scored 50% more goals in less games and less minutes per game.
- Scored more in the CL.

Try again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad