2017 Summer Not Transfer Discussion

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jemerson > Bartra
Glik > Sokratis

I actually don't have to think about Glik vs. Sokratis for very long. Sokratis is just a good defender, but Glik is a little better and more solid. Even in the games I've watched Sokratis play well, I see him having wrong body position or being turned inside out a little too much.

Mendy > Guerreiro

Come on guys. Don't know how this is a contest.

Bakayoko << Weigl

Also don't know how that's a contest. I'd take Fabinho and Lemar over the rest of Dortmund's midfielders though.

Auba is so much better than Falcao that I really don't know how this is in dispute. Falcao just tried in another league and scored five goals in 41 games. Some of those games were cup ties against second and third division teams. There is frankly no way this would happen with Auba. The problem as it comes to when Monaco played Dortmund is simply that Dortmund doesn't have as much individual quality anymore. Their support players are always injured Reus, wonderkid Dembele, and almost wonderkid Pulisic. They're too young. Kagawa is good sometimes, but doesn't compare to Monaco's players.

I would also take Bernardo Silva over the current Dembele.

Not even getting into the Mbappe part of this discussion because in one year he'll have scored 30 goals and there's no point. Fwiw knowing what the future will hold I would take him over Auba.

I think Glik is better than Sokratis, but Sokratis is better than Jemerson. It distorts the discussion to make such a direct comparison between types of CB's. The two best are Glik and Sokratis.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think you are underrating Sokratis. He's the best non-Bayern defender in the Bundesliga. He's not flashy, but incredibly reliable.

Jemerson only just moved from Brazil, and has not yet even played in a top league. He still has a lot to prove, meanwhile Sokratis has proven to be a top class defender in the Bundesliga.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sokratis is not the best non-Bayern defender in the league. Christensen, Sule, and Soyuncu were clearly better last year, while Tah & Toprak were also better than Sokratis the season before...this past crap season not withstanding. And there's others in the discussion with sokratis.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think you are underrating Sokratis. He's the best non-Bayern defender in the Bundesliga. He's not flashy, but incredibly reliable.

Jemerson only just moved from Brazil, and has not yet even played in a top league. He still has a lot to prove, meanwhile Sokratis has proven to be a top class defender in the Bundesliga.

Sule is a Bayern player now so I will concede that, and Christensen exists but is probably going back to Chelsea. I did say that Sokratis was a good defender, even though his team conceded quite a few more goals in less games.

Pretty sure Jemerson played 11 games in the Champions League. Looked just fine to me. Tite just called him into the Brazil squad and we know they have a lot of defenders to choose from.

Of course, I could just be thinking this because Jemerson has a better central defensive partner than Sokratis does.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Glik and Mendy are better than any defensive line on BVB. Not that Bartra or Sokratis suck, but just not as good as the other two.

However, it's extremely wrong in every way possible for anyone to think that Falcao is better than Aubameyang. No way in hell, Auba just finished one of the best seasons we've seen in the last handful of years. Not only that, but Falcao is made out of glass and that ACL injury really killed the rest of his career IMO.

Now, don't get me wrong that BVB has had the more successful campaign over Arsenal.Because they have, which for the large part is Wenger's fault. Though, those BVB teams have been pillaged and haven't replicated the same success since then. But on Forbes and Transfermarkt's lists, Arsenal are the more successful business team. Arsenal is 5th coming in at 2 billion while BVB is 11th at 836 million. Again, not bad, but here is the reason why Arsenal has never been raid except the time they sold RvP, Nasri, and Fabregas. With London as a central factor as well, you can make a strong argument that Arsenal are bigger of the two clubs, thus better. So if there was a free agent of Greizmann's level choosing either Arsenal of Dortmund, he would choose Arsenal. Incompetence though has ran this organization down to Everton's level.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The reason Arsenal hasn't been raided is because they haven't missed the CL yet. If they miss it next year too they will definitely be raided.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The reason Arsenal hasn't been raided is because they haven't missed the CL yet. If they miss it next year too they will definitely be raided.

Not saying you're wrong, but BVB started getting raided during their CL's Final game when Gotze's transfer was leaked to the public before their match against Bayern.

Arsenal aren't immune, but there would've been NO chance of this happening at any point of time. Only when push comes to shove and you have a manager who's job is more safe than Fort Knox do you start pushing the "feeder" label for Arsenal. BVB on the other hand has been a feeder team for the past six to seven years or so. Even during the height of their success.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And that they haven't had talents that the Barca's and Bayern's want. Now that they do, Sanchez is leaving them for one.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Mendy > Guerreiro

Come on guys. Don't know how this is a contest.

I don't know how you and Evilo think that it's not even close. Guerreiro is better at combination play, better in tight spaces, and more versatile, and he scores more goals even when he's playing as a left back. Mendy is a great player, but I wouldn't take him over Guerreiro on a team that plays like Dortmund. It would be nice to have another man who can run like crazy on the counter, but otherwise on Dortmund I'm content with Guerreiro.

I would also take Bernardo Silva over the current Dembele.

Not even getting into the Mbappe part of this discussion because in one year he'll have scored 30 goals and there's no point. Fwiw knowing what the future will hold I would take him over Auba.

I find it funny that you'd take Mbappe over Auba for his future value, but you don't give Dembele the same credit vs. Bernardo Silva.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

When I think of teams getting raided I think of young players just about bursting out. Arsenal don't really have that ATM.

And that they haven't had talents that the Barca's and Bayern's want. Now that they do, Sanchez is leaving them for one.

Yup.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sokratis is not the best non-Bayern defender in the league. Christensen, Sule, and Soyuncu were clearly better last year, while Tah & Toprak were also better than Sokratis the season before...this past crap season not withstanding. And there's others in the discussion with sokratis.

So if Dortmund supposedly has such a bad defense that the team's best defender is like 10th best in the Bundesliga, why does Dortmund have the fourth best defense in the league and only 3 goals off the second best?

That doesn't make sense. Someone on that defense has to be good. Its not all Ginter's, Durm's and Piszczek's.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I watch a lot more Bundesliga than French matches, so I'm not going to get into the middle of it too much beyond saying that I think some of Dortmund's players are being underrated.

Weigl for one is criminally underrated at times.

that said, I do think that much of what Monaco has (or well, had if City keep taking everything) a higher long term ceiling than much of what BVB has. Sure, some of the players who do a lot are young, I mean, Dembele is 20 and should come great, Pulisic could be pretty good (and already is decent), Isak's a kid, Ginter, Weigl, you name it, all pretty young. But I think some of the ceiling is higher for Monaco's players. Some of it for Dortmund is system as much as talent for a few of those kids.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Just wanted to inform everyone that I sent out the following official communication today informing one of the concerned parties:

Dear Mr Kroos,

As a board member of HFBoards Soccer Forum Overrated Players Tracking Committee it is my duty regretfully inform you of your recent status change here at our online community. As you know you have for some time enjoyed the title of "Most Overrated Player on HFBoards Soccer Forum". Indeed it has been surely some two years already. However today you are no longer the most overrated player on the forum. Your position has now been given to a Mr Mahmoud Dahoud. Though overrated for some time himself, he never reached your level of overrated until today and thus we must rightfully grant him your position based on that as well as the consistent upward trend of his being overrated.

While I'm sure this turn of events is an unwelcome one, rest assured that you are still a very overrated player here in our community. In fact I wouldn't be surprise if in only a week's time you realize your former position at the top of the most overrated players list. Surely the performances of your teammates, specifically Mr Modric and to a lesser degree Mr Casemiro, as well as that of whomever UEFA appoints to referee the Champion's League Final will carry you such that you are back in what is seemingly your rightful position atop the list of the most overrated players in soccer.

As always we will keep you apprised of any changes in your status.

Best regards,

Lester Habs

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Weigl's not only underrated, he's maybe the most underrated player in the world.

He's really not far off of Busquets 2.0. He's incredibly good.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Just wanted to inform everyone that I sent out the following official communication today informing one of the concerned parties:

Your boy Iniesta seemed to rate him pretty highly

Weigl's not only underrated, he's maybe the most underrated player in the world.

He's really not far off of Busquets 2.0. He's incredibly good.

Busquets is significantly better. There aren't 5 DMs I'd take over Weigl though.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I don't know how you and Evilo think that it's not even close. Guerreiro is better at combination play, better in tight spaces, and more versatile, and he scores more goals even when he's playing as a left back. Mendy is a great player, but I wouldn't take him over Guerreiro on a team that plays like Dortmund. It would be nice to have another man who can run like crazy on the counter, but otherwise on Dortmund I'm content with Guerreiro.

I find it funny that you'd take Mbappe over Auba for his future value, but you don't give Dembele the same credit vs. Bernardo Silva.

I've basically never seen Mendy, so I won't weigh in on him, but I will comment that I think Guerreiro is a great player and gets underrated. He's really smart about choosing his spots.

Also, not taking Dembele right now regardless of future growth is madness. He's one of the best in the world. General popular perception is always a bit behind in anointing top players and Dembele already is one. He's lightening on the ball, moves through defenders as if they're blades of grass, a fantastic passer, and can already finish superbly. He's clearly been BVB's best player this year, an honor that is little more murky when it comes to Silva. Dembele's the heir apparent to world's best after Messi declines.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've basically never seen Mendy, so I won't weigh in on him, but I will comment that I think Guerreiro is a great player and gets underrated. He's really smart about choosing his spots.

Also, not taking Dembele right now regardless of future growth is madness. He's one of the best in the world. General popular perception is always a bit behind in anointing top players and Dembele already is one. He's lightening on the ball, moves through defenders as if they're blades of grass, a fantastic passer, and can already finish superbly. He's clearly been BVB's best player this year, an honor that is little more murky when it comes to Silva. Dembele's the heir apparent to world's best after Messi declines.

Weigl's been better & more important than Dembele this season; and when fit Reus has been better as well. Also hard to ignore Auba's insanely productive year in the BVB hierarchy.

One would think that a Barca fan would have at least seen the way Dahoud styled on his own team, if not his excellent showings against Bayern, Juve & Citeh. But hey, BuLi fans used to under-rate him to; at least until they watched the magic he creates enough times to catch on.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Tier 1:
Barcelona
Bayern Munchen
Real Madrid

Tier 2:
Atletico Madrid
Juventus

Tier 3 almost changes every year. Usually City, PSG and Chelsea are top of that list.

Regardless, I can't see how Dortmund is considered a top 5 team in Europe. Maybe in the top 10.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, there's no way Dahoud is the most overrated player here... He gets talked about by a handful of people. Not like others.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Tier 1:
Barcelona
Bayern Munchen
Real Madrid

Tier 2:
Atletico Madrid
Juventus

Tier 3 almost changes every year. Usually City, PSG and Chelsea are top of that list.

Regardless, I can't see how Dortmund is considered a top 5 team in Europe. Maybe in the top 10.

Some years they're a top 5 team. Overall, no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad