2017 Draft - 3rd Pick: Dmitri Samorukov

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
We have 3 really solid D prospects and that's not including Jones and Bear. Each of those guys has the potential to become a top 2 to top 4 guy. In 3 years we have:

Bear - Broberg
Bouchard - Samurakov

Jones - Larson/Nurse

If that doesn't make an Oilers fan drool I'm not sure what else does. :eek:

That top 4 is pretty stellar if everyone pans out.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
We have 3 really solid D prospects and that's not including Jones and Bear. Each of those guys has the potential to become a top 2 to top 4 guy. In 3 years we have:

Bear - Broberg
Bouchard - Samurakov
Jones - Larson/Nurse

I am going to go the route of "fool me once" and not pencil any of these guys into the roster until I have seen them play more than 10 NHL games.

Reactions: Dempsey

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I still have PTSD from all the times guys like Marincin, Musil and Teubert were penciled into future top4s.

I haven't been around that long so I can't relate as much. Your logic makes sense but... I just have a high degree of confidence in our prospects.

It's hard not to imagine Bouchard & Broberg panning out as top-4 D. For Bouchard, his skating has improved quite a lot since his draft year, and while he isn't a defensive stalwart, he doesn't appear to be a liability defensively anymore.

For me, the jury is out on Broberg. He looked good in camp before that Chicago series. The question right now is his offensive output. Otherwise, he just needs maturation and experience.

Bear is already playing top 4 minutes, we'll know more about Jones after this season.

Samorukov is playing top 4 minutes in the KHL and has a stellar goal differential. Seems very realistic that he'll be at least a 3LD. He possesses a pretty well-rounded skillset and doesn't have any single significant deficiency holding him back.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

Bear - Broberg
Bouchard - Samurakov
Jones - Larson/Nurse

D depth means two things - A better team and the ability to trade our surplus for our deficits.

Damn, Holland’s picking of Broberg really doubled down on the plan. Up and out from positions of strength.

Now I just want a Gaborik/Kovalchuk type sniper.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I am going to go the route of "fool me once" and not pencil any of these guys into the roster until I have seen them play more than 10 NHL games.
Were you not impressed with the Slovak twin towers of doom?
Marincin-Gernat

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Were you not impressed with the Slovak twin towers of doom?
Marincin-Gernat

Hey, Marincin had a solid year here and carved out somewhat of a career in Toronto. 230 games is nothing to sneeze at

Gernat, what could have been IMO. Ru.ours he literally just never trained

Reactions: Aerchon

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I just don't understand how anybody doesn't like Nurse, lol. I get that maybe you want him to be more consistent, or have a better offensive IQ in the offensive zone, but man, just take the player for what he is and enjoy it.
I don't like Nurse's contract or the ask he must have had on a long term deal. In my estimation Nurse is only worth 5.6 on a 3 or four year deal, not a two year deal. Not a gross overpay but definitely not helping the cause. For someone on the outside looking in the contract probably looks fine. If Holland decided to move on from Nurse we would get a solid return. Personally I don't mind that idea.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I love Nurse. Some of the scouting wizards on here just want something to complain about

Im a big Nurse fan as well. Does he make mistakes? Yes, but every young Dman makes them. The kid plays tuff, can skate, and defends his teammates and seems like a very likable player. Good traits in an Oiler player as far as Im concerned

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I do not think anyone dislikes Nurse. Hes the perfect type of D you want.

The issue is the contract (not a knock on him, get dat cash), or maybe his spot in the line up and mistakes that get made (more on how the team is built)

I want Nurse here long term. Not as much if the contract is too high or if hes being lifted into this top pairing type role. But again, both factors are not a knock on the player or person

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I still have PTSD from all the times guys like Marincin, Musil and Teubert were penciled into future top4s.

Musil and Tuebert were always flagged as likely too slow for the nhl.

Marincin has a decent nhl career. Davidson, Klefbom, Gustasfsson, likely Zharkov or Paigan? if not for injury, Laggesson, Marino, Bear, Jones, Berglund possibly, and possibly more.

Even some guys like Corry Potter, Taylor Fedun, Jordan Osterle, and Brad Hunt...

The organization actually has a lot of hits just most of them more of a depth type defenseman.

Projecting them as top 4/3 is a bit overzealous but I like the odds of many of our current prospects continuing the trend of at least being serviceable nhlers.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Moving on from Nurse would be exactly the same as moving on from Petry, who was the supposed odd man out when we had all that defensive depth back when.

In my opinion, anyone who is in favor of that isn't actually rooting for the team to succeed.
No one said trade Nurse for a couple of picks... who said that? If you can get an equitable player or even two players back in a deal for Nurse the GM has to think about it. Anyone in favor of not upgrading this club is a fan looking for mediocrity.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Gernat has been doing great points wise in the Czech leage.

Elite Prospects - Czech Stats 2020-2021

Gernat's team is 15-2 and has an absolutely loaded (for the Czech league anyway) roster with probably five first line forwards so I'm not really surprised. Filip Zadina the bluechip Red Wings prospect for example is "only" a PPG on Trinec. Still though, good for him for carving out a career.

Also of note on that team: Oilers legend David Musil :cry:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I do not think anyone dislikes Nurse. Hes the perfect type of D you want.

The issue is the contract (not a knock on him, get dat cash), or maybe his spot in the line up and mistakes that get made (more on how the team is built)

I want Nurse here long term. Not as much if the contract is too high or if hes being lifted into this top pairing type role. But again, both factors are not a knock on the player or person

I wish we hadn't done a bridge deal with him. Should've done longterm from then on

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
No one said trade Nurse for a couple of picks... who said that? If you can get an equitable player or even two players back in a deal for Nurse the GM has to think about it. Anyone in favor of not upgrading this club is a fan looking for mediocrity.
Okay but trading him opens a gaping hole in the top 4. None of the prospects should be looked at as plug and play top four guys yet, at least I don't think so. So what would we want to trade him for? Another winger? I think the team should play out the upcoming shortened season and let all the new players show what they have before they think about moving on from a defenseman as solid as Nurse. I guess I just don't think a Nurse trade should even be considered at all right now, or in the coming future.

Unless the return is another proven top four defenseman and another NHL calibre player, but I can't fathom why any team would do that.

Reactions: nally

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
We have a flat cap now. Whatever Nurse thought they could meet at..That is not happening. Who could have predicted a pandemic..He took the bridge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad