2017 Draft - 3rd Pick: Dmitri Samorukov

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Thankfully he got a strong run of development in but sad that he possibly still had half a year to go. Let's hope he rebounds well from this, shoulders can take some time to recover from and have a big impact on development. I suspect they give him the time he needs and starts next year in the AHL healthy, possibly beside Broberg, and they give him the whole year down there to be a dominant two way defender.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Wonder if this guy will make the team out of camp. Wouldn't surprise me to be honest - I've been itching to see him play in the the big league.

Reactions: oilers'72

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Russians have a step up on the competition because they can always go home and play. This season expect Samorukov to play a minimum of his games in the AHL and the majority of games on the third pairing for the Oilers.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Break in Bouchard this year, Samorukov next (first call up this season), and then Broberg (first call up next season) the year after?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Break in Bouchard this year, Samorukov next (first call up this season), and then Broberg (first call up next season) the year after?

IMO we need Broberg here to learn from Keith as he couldn't have a much better mentor in terms of a great skating 2 way defenseman. I'd like to see Broberg here by the start of the '22-23 season if he's ready by then.

Reactions: The Nuge

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
IMO we need Broberg here to learn from Keith as he couldn't have a much better mentor in terms of a great skating 2 way defenseman. I'd like to see Broberg here by the start of the '22-23 season if he's ready by then.

Problem is that Samorukov is going to need waivers starting the 2022-2023 season and we don't have the roster space to break both him and Broberg in over the next two seasons.

2021-2022:
Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Ceci
Russel-Bouchard

2022-2023:
Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Bouchard
Samorukov-Ceci

2023-2024:
Nurse-Bouchard
Samorukov-Barrie
Broberg-Ceci

This of course assumes they all pan out and Nurse signs a long term extension.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Problem is that Samorukov is going to need waivers starting the 2022-2023 season and we don't have the roster space to break both him and Broberg in over the next two seasons.

2021-2022:
Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Ceci
Russel-Bouchard

2022-2023:
Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Bouchard
Samorukov-Ceci

2023-2024:
Nurse-Bouchard
Samorukov-Barrie
Broberg-Ceci

Samorukov will be on the third pairing at some point this season IMO.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Samorukov will be on the third pairing at some point this season IMO.
Very possible. Injuries can happen. Hell he could earn the spot out of camp. But there's not room for both of them until Keith's contract expires.

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle

2021-2022:
Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Ceci
Russel-Bouchard

2022-2023:
Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Bouchard
Samorukov-Ceci

2023-2024:
Nurse-Bouchard
Samorukov-Barrie
Broberg-Ceci

Easy solution.
2022-2023 season
Nurse - Bouchard
Samourukov-Barrie
Broberg-Ceci
Keith(load management or retire)
Lagasson(leaves)
Russell (leaves)

Broberg won't be making the team out of camp next year anyways, probably late in the year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Easy solution.
2022-2023 season
Nurse - Bouchard
Samourukov-Barrie
Broberg-Ceci
Keith(load management or retire)
Lagasson(leaves)
Russell (leaves)

Broberg won't be making the team out of camp next year anyways, probably late in the year.
That's a possibility. Although I doubt the Oilers picked up Keith and his $5.5M contract to be a #7 d-man in the 2nd season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

2021-2022:
Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Ceci
Russel-Bouchard

2022-2023:
Nurse-Barrie
Keith-Bouchard
Samorukov-Ceci

2023-2024:
Nurse-Bouchard
Samorukov-Barrie
Broberg-Ceci

That maybe why he was supposedly floated in the potential Kuemper trade. This of course isn't factoring in if Klef ever returns either. I wouldn't mind if we were to have Samorukov split time as the 3LD if we can add a vet like Benn. If he outright claims the spot then even better.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think the safe bet is to expect Samorukov to jump into the lineup post Christmas/New Year's. Similar to Yamamoto.

Basically, the first half of this year is getting Bouchard comfortable in the line, the second half will be Samorukov, as he competes with Lagesson for the #6 role.

I think Broberg will be up toward the end of the year after, so he gets some time working with Keith.

I think the long-ish term vision of the blueline is

Nurse-Barrie
Broberg-Bouchard
Samorukov-Ceci

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the Oilers did an interesting thing by not having Broberg and Samorukov at training camp last year. Regardless of the real motivation, it was good in that these players were basically told that they were too young and not good enough yet.

Now they definitely should be at camp, and I would like the Oilers not to outright fill that last LD spot so there's a spot for someone to fight for. It's not like we have the cap space for even a mid pairing LD anymore. It might as well be a competition between Russell, Lagesson, Broberg, Samorukov and whoever else. I suppose the caviat there is that we shouldn't have Broberg or Samorukov in the 7th spot, so for them it is #6 or the AHL (and this time, have Sammy in the AHL, maybe Broberg too)

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I assumed the reason Broberg and Samorukov didn't come to camp was that they were already playing high level hockey and would probably have had to quarantine.

I'd like for Broberg to have a full year with Dave Manson in Bakersfield, but I think Samorukov can push for that #6 spot for sure. I guess we'll see.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That's a possibility. Although I doubt the Oilers picked up Keith and his $5.5M contract to be a #7 d-man in the 2nd season.
If Bro and Sam are making less than a mil each and outperforming Keith then no issues with Keith being #7.

Holland may add Ryan Murray to a multi year deal and I still wouldn't be worried. You can make moves down the road to fit in the 2 rookies if they are ready.

We will likely see both of them suit up for Oilers at some point this season.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
With how poorly Keith has played the last 2 years it is very possible Samorukov will outplay him before the end of the year.

We had Jones, Bear, Laggesson, Bouchard, and Samourukov all with as much pro seasoning as they can get out of the NHL and only requiring actual NHL games for development.

This organization is just trash at planning and development especially on defense.

I expect no matter how good Samourukov plays he will be the #7 until Keith really shits the bed, gets extremely tired and needs to be rested, or gets injured. For the next 2 years.

I know it's not the case, but drafting as many defensemen as this organization did over that span was just stupid, and I hoped they learned from it. We have to have more nhl defenders playing for other teams than any other organization.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
With how poorly Keith has played the last 2 years it is very possible Samorukov will outplay him before the end of the year.

We had Jones, Bear, Laggesson, Bouchard, and Samourukov all with as much pro seasoning as they can get out of the NHL and only requiring actual NHL games for development.

This organization is just trash at planning and development especially on defense.

I expect no matter how good Samourukov plays he will be the #7 until Keith really shits the bed, gets extremely tired and needs to be rested, or gets injured. For the next 2 years.

I know it's not the case, but drafting as many defensemen as this organization did over that span was just stupid, and I hoped they learned from it. We have to have more nhl defenders playing for other teams than any other organization.

This a bit simplistic. Jones got many chances but never took the reins and showed he deserved a spot on this roster. Bear had a very strong rookie year but was not great this past season. I would've liked to keep him but out of him, Barrie and Bouchard I take the latter two any day of the year. Lagesson is a nothing player, run of the mill #6/7 D. Samorukov hasn't proven jack squat yet. This is the first year that he conceivably could be ready for NHL games and he'll likely get a shot to earn that 3rd pair LD spot, but most likely he could use some fine-tuning in AHL playing huge minutes. I really don't see the problem here.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This a bit simplistic. Jones got many chances but never took the reins and showed he deserved a spot on this roster. Bear had a very strong rookie year but was not great this past season. I would've liked to keep him but out of him, Barrie and Bouchard I take the latter two any day of the year. Lagesson is a nothing player, run of the mill #6/7 D. Samorukov hasn't proven jack squat yet. This is the first year that he conceivably could be ready for NHL games and he'll likely get a shot to earn that 3rd pair LD spot, but most likely he could use some fine-tuning in AHL playing huge minutes. I really don't see the problem here.

It takes minimum 200 nhl games to get a glimmer of what a defenseman is. 400 before you should be considering moving one.

Schultz Petry plus a plethora of other solid d have been moved on from by this organization because of poor planning.

Keith at age 40, Barrie, and Cody Ceci are just not the kind of players you being in over young promising defense.

I'm just really hoping Ceci is for us what Petry was for Montreal. Almost laughed when saying that but that's basically what Holland is gambling on. That and the fountain of youth for Keith.

It's a very frustrating trend looking around the league.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad