2017 Draft - 3rd Pick: Dmitri Samorukov

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
And how was he in the AHL? Did he come close to being called up or was closer to being sent down to ECHL?
Samurukov isn’t a points guy first keep that in mind. His strength is his play without the puck.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He had an up and down year. Took him a while to adapt to pro level play

Not to mention that Bakersfield was a shitty team with putrid goaltending as well.

He’s a young D men. Most D men take time, I’ve got lots of time to be patient with a kid like him. I think he can be a very complete D man and reliable in all 3 zones as he matures.

Playing for CSKA this year will be an excellent experience for him.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I hope we don't give this guy up in a trade. He's our dark horse and no question would be worth more to us than any team would be willing to spend to gamble on him.

I’ll be livid if we do. We don’t really have any prospects with his skillset and potential to be a big shutdown top 4 D man.

Guys like Bear, Bouchard, and Broberg will need D partners that can do heavy lifting away from the puck in the coming years.

There is NHL potential for him.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I know as Albertans we like football (that’s gridiron and real NA football not soccer to our Russian brothers following) as well as hockey.

Samorukov is a middle linebacker leader type player we need on our D core.

Best analogy I can think of with respect to my previous point about Bouchard, Bear, and Broberg (the 3 B’s) needing a guy like Samorukov to pair with.

Samorukov is an alpha male type player all teams need.

I want ****ing mean, bully type killers on my squad. That’s how we roll in Western Canada.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I know as Albertans we like football (that’s gridiron and real NA football not soccer to our Russian brothers following) as well as hockey.

Samorukov is a middle linebacker leader type player we need on our D core.

Best analogy I can think of with respect to my previous point about Bouchard, Bear, and Broberg (the 3 B’s) needing a guy like Samorukov to pair with.

Samorukov is an alpha male type player all teams need.

I want ****ing mean, bully type killers on my squad. That’s how we roll in Western Canada.

There really aren't many guys out there that dish out punishing open ice hits anymore. I really liked Zadorov in his draft year for this very reason. A good, clean open ice hit can change the momentum of a playoff series if you catch the right player with their head down. At bare minimum guys will be looking over their shoulder when they cross center ice. Samorukov is built like a tank.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Up to 2-3-5 in 10 games with 2 PIM and a +11.

The wild thing about him is he is a very physical guy who can absolutely murder you with hits...but is almost never penalized. He is a clean physical player which is ridiculously rare

He brings an element we don’t have. He’ll be a fan favourite here when he becomes an NHLer.

We have no prospects with his skillset and physicality. He’s one of my favourite prospects and a kid I’m really rooting for.

I’m happy for him right now, he’s back home playing for a historic Russian franchise in CSKA and getting solid ice time. Good job on Holland facilitating this to get him playing hockey this year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He brings an element we don’t have. He’ll be a fan favourite here when he becomes an NHLer.

We have no prospects with his skillset and physicality. He’s one of my favourite prospects and a kid I’m really rooting for.

I’m happy for him right now, he’s back home playing for a historic Russian franchise in CSKA and getting solid ice time. Good job on Holland facilitating this to get him playing hockey this year.
A full year like this and I dont see any reason why he shouldn't be able to play third pairing in 2021/2022.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
A full year like this and I dont see any reason why he shouldn't be able to play third pairing in 2021/2022.

I agree. If he continues to get solid minutes in the KHL and keeps playing like this, then I think he has a very good shot to crack our roster as a #6/7 D man.

Despite my disdain for our current D core, I do like what we have coming up with our D prospects.

D men take a long time to properly develop outside of rare circumstances and Samorukov is trending the right way.

Like I said, he’s easily one of my favourite prospects we have. He plays the game in a way that Oiler fans will enjoy and have always appreciated.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I'm very excited about his, and our other dmen prospect's progress. This kid has something we badly lack and seems like such a good overall defenseman.

I'm really not sure what to do with Klefbom's absence. I really don't want to trade any of Samo, Broberg, or Bouchard for short-term help but I am torn about what the team to do to fix the immediate holes on defense. If they reach their potential, I could see this:

Broberg Bear
Samoroukov Bouchard

Could be a great top 4 in 2-4 years. Until then, we can slowly integrate them into what we have.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I agree. If he continues to get solid minutes in the KHL and keeps playing like this, then I think he has a very good shot to crack our roster as a #6/7 D man.

Despite my disdain for our current D core, I do like what we have coming up with our D prospects.

D men take a long time to properly develop outside of rare circumstances and Samorukov is trending the right way.

Like I said, he’s easily one of my favourite prospects we have. He plays the game in a way that Oiler fans will enjoy and have always appreciated.
Right on track with what I predicted. Figured out of junior he would require an adjustment year to pro and then a second full season where he’s comfortable in a pro league which he looks to be so far this year. I can see him as a #6 dman as early as next year in the same situation Caleb Jones is now

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Which of our current NHL defensemen would you look at keeping around long term? For me Bear is #1 with a bullet. Jones may get there and Nurse would need to show some improvement to be in my long term core. So basically just Bear for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->