2017 Draft - 3rd Pick: Dmitri Samorukov

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He brings an element we don’t have. He’ll be a fan favourite here when he becomes an NHLer.

We have no prospects with his skillset and physicality. He’s one of my favourite prospects and a kid I’m really rooting for.

I’m happy for him right now, he’s back home playing for a historic Russian franchise in CSKA and getting solid ice time. Good job on Holland facilitating this to get him playing hockey this year.
From what I know of him he has a great team first attitude. I am also a big fan.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Which of our current NHL defensemen would you look at keeping around long term? For me Bear is #1 with a bullet. Jones may get there and Nurse would need to show some improvement to be in my long term core. So basically just Bear for now.

Depending on the ask from Nurse for his next contract, he’s more than solid at a second pairing D man. Those don’t grow on trees. Getting rid of guys like him, Petry, etc. hurt franchises long term.

From the current core Bear is the only one with top pairing upside as a #2 because of his puck movement and hockey IQ. I don’t see Bear as a true all situations #1 D but there’s nothing wrong with that. Top 4 D men are very valuable.

Bear, Jones, and Nurse I like long term as well. I’m quite bullish on Samorukov I think he is at the worst a solid bottom pairing guy, if he fully hits his potential he’s legit #2/3.

Broberg is tracking well and has #1 upside for me. Bouchard is another #2/3 with elite PP abilities.

We’ve got some really nice pieces in pipeline on D. I can’t remember the last time the system was this good on D, we likely have to go back to the 1980s.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Depending on the ask from Nurse for his next contract, he’s more than solid at a second pairing D man. Those don’t grow on trees. Getting rid of guys like him, Petry, etc. hurt franchises long term.

From the current core Bear is the only one with top pairing upside as a #2 because of his puck movement and hockey IQ. I don’t see Bear as a true all situations #1 D but there’s nothing wrong with that. Top 4 D men are very valuable.

Bear, Jones, and Nurse I like long term as well. I’m quite bullish on Samorukov I think he is at the worst a solid bottom pairing guy, if he fully hits his potential he’s legit #2/3.

Broberg is tracking well and has #1 upside for me. Bouchard is another #2/3 with elite PP abilities.

We’ve got some really nice pieces in pipeline on D. I can’t remember the last time the system was this good on D, we likely have to go back to the 1980s.

What I would really like to see from Nurse is him dedicating himself to being an absolute defensive rock. A physical and positionally sound and aware defensive cornerstone of our team. Basically a tougher (better fighter anyway) and better skating version of Larsson in his 1st season here. Then have him continue to work on his breakout pass and slapper to round out his game. I know that offense is what takes defensemen into the next tier financially, but for this team to win IMO he needs to stop trying to play like an offensive defenseman. Petry was a beaut who just never broke out offensively here. I really liked him and watched him all the way back to his days at MSU. He was a huge loss to the team.

Completely agree on Bear, I am not sure that he has the skating and size to be a #1, but he could be a solid #2 and that would be great given his draft position.

Jones is a player that I like but probably not as much as Broberg, Bouchard and Samorukov. Next season will tell us a lot about what we have in Jones and if he is in our long term plans or not.

If Nurse could dial in on the defensive side of the puck we could see something like this long term:

Broberg-Bear
Nurse-Bouchard
Samorukov-Jones/?

Bro and Bear = a solid combo of 2 way defensemen. Nurse can help Bouch play his game by being his defensive conscience. Samorukov and Jones potentially could be one of the best 3rd pairings in the league.

Then we have guys like Kesselring and that other American kid whose name escapes me that played on the US WJC team a few years and maybe Berglund as well making a push down the line. This is the deepest that our team has been defensively prospect wise in eons.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Which is why i hope we don't draft another Dman this Draft

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Which is why i hope we don't draft another Dman this Draft
Taking a D in the later rounds if he’s better than any forwards available is still worth it, late round picks usually take 5 years to make it if they do at all.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Watched him a lot in his final Jr year. Great prospect. Has tools to be a top 4 D some day. Dan McGillis is a good comparable.

Reactions: Aerchon

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I’ve always thought a good comparable for him is Josh Manson (other than handedness). Maybe not quite the same mean streak as Manson, but still nasty.

I doubt he's going to be as good but he reminds me of Parayko. Similar skill set IMO and thus I feel that could be his upside. Samorukov is more physical but Parayko is more composed and likely shoots better than Samorukov will, but that's not to suggest Samorukov has a poor shot. I think Samorukov has every tool in the bag and it just comes down to putting it together and being consistent without doing too much. Remember Parayko was also a guy who also just kept getting better. Again him becoming as good is unlikely but if he can be close thats a huge boon to this team.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I doubt he's going to be as good but he reminds me of Parayko. Similar skill set IMO and thus I feel that could be his upside. Samorukov is more physical but Parayko is more composed and likely shoots better than Samorukov will, but that's not to suggest Samorukov has a poor shot. I think Samorukov has every tool in the bag and it just comes down to putting it together and being consistent without doing too much. Remember Parayko was also a guy who also just kept getting better. Again him becoming as good is unlikely but if he can be close thats a huge boon to this team.

I don't think that Samo has his skating TBH. That said I agree that he has made huge strides. Bear, Jones and Samorukov are all studly picks given the spots that they were picked.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020

One of the big advantages Parayko has over pretty much everyone else is his size/reach combo. Sammy has an NHL frame, no question, but he's not 6'6 230. FWIW I liked the Dan McGillis comparison up-thread. He played his role perfectly and knew the limits of his toolbox but could surprise you with offense when given the right partner and minutes. That's Sammy to me, especially if his partner in the future is Bouchard as I suspect it will be.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We all wish for that flashy offensive dynamo on the back end that we have lacked for so very long but a collection of two-way defensively sound defensemen like Samorukov will win you championships.

If we offer comparisons of playing styles like Bouwmeester and Carlson for Broberg and Bouchard, why not a Rob Blake comparison for Dmitri Samorukov?

Our future on the back-end is pretty ******* good.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Up to 2-3-5 in 10 games with 2 PIM and a +11.

The wild thing about him is he is a very physical guy who can absolutely murder you with hits...but is almost never penalized. He is a clean physical player which is ridiculously rare

I couldn’t agree with you more .I rather have a guy that hits to destroy then a Nurse type running around looking to fight . A clean hit can change a game . A bad Penalty can cost a team a game .

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I couldn’t agree with you more .I rather have a guy that hits to destroy then a Nurse type running around looking to fight . A clean hit can change a game . A bad Penalty can cost a team a game .
Nurse runs around looking to fight?

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
By the time the virus is dealt with and NHL hockey fully returns to normal, theres a good chance we will have the best group of defensemen this team has started since 2006.

It isn’t a chance. I think it is. We replaced Pronger with a Smid who needed development and Dick Tarnstrom.

loving that Samorukov doesn’t need anything to be a big part of it. Because I think he can develop into one anyways.

I wanted another forward, but looking at the system d depth with Broberg is... well let’s say I don’t agree with how EA rates our prospect potential. Cause I see some high potential and with proper development, we’ll likely see a few achieving it.

Reactions: nerblet

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nurse runs around looking to fight?

He doesn’t need to.

Not too many guys in the league want to **** with Nurse in a fight.

He had some good tilts last year and has only gotten better as a fighter the last couple years. This one was funny Roussel that weasel looked so scared after when they were against the glass.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He doesn’t need to.

He had some good tilts last year and has only gotten better as a fighter the last couple years. This one was funny Roussel that weasel looked so scared after when they were against the glass.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He doesn’t need to.

I can't stand that prick, thanks for the video, I always love seeing rats getting fed. Nurse can stand in with just about everyone except for the top of the food chain IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I just don't understand how anybody doesn't like Nurse, lol. I get that maybe you want him to be more consistent, or have a better offensive IQ in the offensive zone, but man, just take the player for what he is and enjoy it.

I don't like his decision making in the offensive zone very much and would like him to be a bit more physical and tie up sticks more at times. Beyond that IMO he will be overpaid on his next contract. If we remove some of his offensive minutes for more capable players and he settles in as a defensive stalwart, he definitely has a place on our team going forward IMO.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
It isn’t a chance. I think it is. We replaced Pronger with a Smid who needed development and Dick Tarnstrom.

loving that Samorukov doesn’t need anything to be a big part of it. Because I think he can develop into one anyways.

I wanted another forward, but looking at the system d depth with Broberg is... well let’s say I don’t agree with how EA rates our prospect potential. Cause I see some high potential and with proper development, we’ll likely see a few achieving it.
We have 3 really solid D prospects and that's not including Jones and Bear. Each of those guys has the potential to become a top 2 to top 4 guy. In 3 years we have:

Bear - Broberg
Bouchard - Samurakov
Jones - Larson/Nurse

If that doesn't make an Oilers fan drool I'm not sure what else does. :eek:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad