2017 Draft - 3rd Pick: Dmitri Samorukov

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We have a flat cap now. Whatever Nurse thought they could meet at..That is not happening. Who could have predicted a pandemic..He took the bridge.
Thing is Nurse took the bridge deal but not at the bridge salary. I wonder what the ask was on deals in the 4 to eight year range? Good for Nurse and his agent getting the money along with the early UFA benefit. A two year bridge should have started with a 4. They wouldn't even accept three years, they took the "get me to UFA as quick as possible route."

Problem for Nurse and his representation, and problem for the club... with the cap being pandemictized there won't necessarily be cap space for the money Nurse is looking for when his contract is up. We could waste the expansion slot protecting Nurse with his agent whispering in his ear, "you already took the bridge so look for proper money and term on the open market, you only got this one opportunity..." and boom goes top 4 without any return.

I didn't like the contract when he signed it, I don't like it now, and it leaves me wondering about intent. This is a real issue. In any trade involving Nurse of course a top 4 defenseman would be the ask. Someone looking for the toughness in the lineup might even "overpay" because physicality is one of the foremost reasons Nurse must have received the contract favoring the player in money and term. An overpay is open for interpretation.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucks_oil

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No one said trade Nurse for a couple of picks... who said that? If you can get an equitable player or even two players back in a deal for Nurse the GM has to think about it. Anyone in favor of not upgrading this club is a fan looking for mediocrity.

I loved when we drafted Nurse . I also agree we can not trade him unless it is for an upgrade . I have to say Nurse isn’t what we hoped he would become . He has no creativity in the offensive zone . He makes mistakes upon mistake in the defensive zone . Also Nurse being a young D has got to stop . He will be 26 shortly . You know who is young ? Quinn Hughes !

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
I loved when we drafted Nurse . I also agree we can not trade him unless it is for an upgrade . I have to say Nurse isn’t what we hoped he would become . He has no creativity in the offensive zone . He makes mistakes upon mistake in the defensive zone . Also Nurse being a young D has got to stop . He will be 26 shortly . You know who is young ? Quinn Hughes !
I'm a believer that a players true prime years are 25-30. Some kids might be Uber talented really young, but it still takes years to mature physically and mentally, and nothing helps a person grow and evolve like experience. I think Nurse still has upside, whether he can find it or not is another story.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He has in the past . Now he is too busy watching the other team offence skate around our net .
So what you're saying is you just dont like Nurse.

You're upset that he defends teammates, you're upset that he tries to play defense.

Reactions: TB12

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Don't be surprised if he ends up better than Bouchard/Broberg.

I know this might not sit well with people around here but as of today I would take him over every player in his draft class with the exception of Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson, Hischier and Yamamoto.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canovin

GOilers88

Dec 24, 2016

I know this might not sit well with people around here but as of today I would take him over every player in his draft class with the exception of Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson, Hischier and Yamamoto.
Bold.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

I think he has top pairing upside. He has a complete skillset, no real weaknesses. I question if he can be strong offensively but it also wouldn't shock me if he was a 40 point guy in his prime. I think he can play the same game and role as a Parayko, big mobile shutdown Dman with a complete package. He's not 6'6 but he's more physical than Parayko is and is still huge at 6'3 and with a big wingspan. A young Hamonic might be a decent comparison too. I don't know how it's going to go for him here but I suspect we're going to see a player that continues to improve well into his 20's. Dmen like him can control the game. It's rare to have a guy that excel stopping the rush, the cycle, moving the puck, and be an asset in the ozone. Ideally that player has great size, skating, and hockey sense. Klefbom showed brief glimpses of being this kind of player before the shoulder issues.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Wow ....alot of glowing endorsements for Sammy.
I cant really say ive seen much of him play but i have heard some assessments from the AHL saying he was fighting the time and space thing ....improving but not exactly excelling....
Suddenly he ends up in Europe and now has lots of time and space on the big surface and its like he is back in junior??
Maybe its yes potential is there but he has a long way to go and many lessons to learn and who knows what happens along the trail.
Again this is just me wondering as I have little first hand experience watching him.
We really need two of Jones, Broberg, Bouchard, or Sammy to be quality top 4 guys.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I cant really say ive seen much of him play but i have heard some assessments from the AHL saying he was fighting the time and space thing ....improving but not exactly excelling....
Suddenly he ends up in Europe and now has lots of time and space on the big surface and its like he is back in junior??
Maybe its yes potential is there but he has a long way to go and many lessons to learn and who knows what happens along the trail.
Again this is just me wondering as I have little first hand experience watching him.
We really need two of Jones, Broberg, Bouchard, or Sammy to be quality top 4 guys.
It's almost like the jump from the OHL to AHL is a big one and takes time to adjust.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Which I do not think is surprising at all. That was his rookie year in the AHL and first year in a pro league. The jump from junior(or NCAA) is MASSIVE and the rookie year is when most guys fail. It is also when most highly touted prospects have issues.

He then learnt his lessons and adapted over the course of the year and took those lessons with him to Europe this year. I have no doubt he would have looked just as good had the AHL being going right now.

On a whole, he still looks like a very, very intriguing prospect. Hes got all the tools, his play has been very good (in junior, now good in the KHL). Sneaky upside as a top pairing D IMO.

Maybe it was posted at the time of his draft, but some CHL scouts or insiders had him as been the absolute steal of the draft at the time.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'm a believer that a players true prime years are 25-30. Some kids might be Uber talented really young, but it still takes years to mature physically and mentally, and nothing helps a person grow and evolve like experience. I think Nurse still has upside, whether he can find it or not is another story.

For D? In terms of all around game its 27 - 32 for me.

Reactions: Aerchon

GOilers88

Dec 24, 2016
Which I do not think is surprising at all. That was his rookie year in the AHL and first year in a pro league. The jump from junior(or NCAA) is MASSIVE and the rookie year is when most guys fail. It is also when most highly touted prospects have issues.

He then learnt his lessons and adapted over the course of the year and took those lessons with him to Europe this year. I have no doubt he would have looked just as good had the AHL being going right now.

On a whole, he still looks like a very, very intriguing prospect. Hes got all the tools, his play has been very good (in junior, now good in the KHL). Sneaky upside as a top pairing D IMO.

Maybe it was posted at the time of his draft, but some CHL scouts or insiders had him as been the absolute steal of the draft at the time.
Here's to hoping he gets to realise that potential in Edmonton. Klefbom's arthritic problem might be the best thing that happens to some of our defensive prospects as a healthy Klef with his contract would be tough to displace.

GOilers88

Dec 24, 2016
For D? In terms of all around game its 27 - 32 for me.
Just for all players in general, of any sport really. I see a lot of talk about how young guys produce the best years early and while that may be true from a stats standpoint, I think it still takes years to actually hit their prime.

But I agree with your age range as well for defensemen.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
How has he been lately?

I know it’s CSKA but those +/- stats are pretty impressive.

Is he still getting top 4 minutes and trusted to play defensive matchups in end of game situations?

We really need D men who can defend and transition the puck up ice.

Played 17 min vs Spartak today, in the previous game he played 20+ min. Overall his average TOI is 17:30, and he's top4 defenseman for the team.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Played 17 min vs Spartak today, in the previous game he played 20+ min. Overall his average TOI is 17:30, and he's top4 defenseman for the team.

I am not sure if I have this right but a few questions:

This is the top league in Russia that he plays for?

Second best league in the World behind the NHL?

CKSA were once known as the fabled "Red Army team?"

Thanks in advance for your response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad