2017 Draft - 3rd Pick: Dmitri Samorukov

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well if Samorukov can play top 4 D-man minutes for a club of this caliber then I would say pencil him into the starting 6 for the Oilers next season.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Well if Samorukov can play top 4 D-man minutes for a club of this caliber then I would say pencil him into the starting 6 for the Oilers next season.

It's never smart to pencil in prospects, things can always change between now and the start of next season.

That said, he definitely has a legit shot at making the team.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Hands down my favorite Oilers prospect and I ranked him #1 on our prospect pool

As some of the guys on the thread have said, there are no guarantees that the KHL game evolves to the NHL but you have to think that with the D-men we have that he has a very good shot at making the club next season.

I think we can't go too far with the current defense so I hope that by the end of this season Bouchard and Lagesson are at least semi-regulars on the roster and that next season Samorukov and possibly Broberg join them.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
As some of the guys on the thread have said, there are no guarantees that the KHL game evolves to the NHL but you have to think that with the D-men we have that he has a very good shot at making the club next season.

I think we can't go too far with the current defense so I hope that by the end of this season Bouchard and Lagesson are at least semi-regulars on the roster and that next season Samorukov and possibly Broberg join them.

You almost have to wonder if he will join the team after the KHL season is over. It ends at the end of February, but his team is pretty good IIRC, so there is the chance they go deep into playoffs as well, so he might not be available for a while after that I suppose.

Reactions: MoontoScott

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
You almost have to wonder if he will join the team after the KHL season is over. It ends at the end of February, but his team is pretty good IIRC, so there is the chance they go deep into playoffs as well, so he might not be available for a while after that I suppose.

Its the old Red Army team and they are always good so yes they might go a long way into the post season.

Regardless, Sammy might be as good as anybody the Oil currently have so bring him in for a look see.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The good news is that Samorukov has played in NA in both the OHL and the AHL. In his draft plus 2 year he was absolutely dominant at both ends of the ice down the stretch and in the OHL playoffs. His offensive game blossomed when he no longer had to baby sit for Merkely who had no clue that defensemen had to defend. I suspect he might take some time to show that offensive side of his game in the NHl bacuase he does seem to think defense first. But I'd be surprised if he deos not become a solid NHL'er at the very least.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The good news is that Samorukov has played in NA in both the OHL and the AHL. In his draft plus 2 year he was absolutely dominant at both ends of the ice down the stretch and in the OHL playoffs. His offensive game blossomed when he no longer had to baby sit for Merkely who had no clue that defensemen had to defend. I suspect he might take some time to show that offensive side of his game in the NHl bacuase he does seem to think defense first. But I'd be surprised if he deos not become a solid NHL'er at the very least.

Even if no real offense emerges, I like his rep as a "shut down" guy because this is what the Oil really need. Good positional hockey and skill at reading the ice is our number one need. Right now I don't see any D-men who are really good at these vital skills.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Sammy is great all but we also have Lagesson, Jones, and Bouchard that need playing time or need to be traded. TOO many young D.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I'm glad samorukov is showing so well, but isn't a big difference between he and Romanov is Romanov's skating?

I don't see Romanov in NHL as some elite skating D like Hughes. Samorukov is taller/bigger/lankier and has a big shot and hits hard. I compare him to Petry but others here say Gavrikov. Sammy can deke and skate into the O-zone like a forward just like Petry.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't see Romanov in NHL as some elite skating D like Hughes. Samorukov is taller/bigger/lankier and has a big shot and hits hard. I compare him to Petry but others here say Gavrikov. Sammy can deke and skate into the O-zone like a forward just like Petry.
I didn't think Sammy's skating was that good, but if he can the Oilers will be laughing

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sammy is great all but we also have Lagesson, Jones, and Bouchard that need playing time or need to be traded. TOO many young D.
Lagesson is a nothing prospect. Jones I don’t mind but I’ve always liked Samurokov better. Maybe we end up trading Jones at some point. Sammy brings a different element.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Lagesson is a nothing prospect. Jones I don’t mind but I’ve always liked Samurokov better. Maybe we end up trading Jones at some point. Sammy brings a different element.

I think Lagesson is underrated. He will be an NHL regular. His foot speed is lacking but he's been consistently the best Condors D. Jones was a tire-fire (the decisions in his own zone were baffling) until last season.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

IMO Lagesson moves the puck better than Larsson and Russell. I think he could replace them permanently.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
+26 is good for second in the league and first for all D. His PIMs are low also.

upload_2021-1-25_2-37-57.png

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Uhhhhh....

Dmitri Samorukov suffered a shoulder injury in practice a few weeks ago and his season is over. The Oilers medical staff, management and Samorukov’s team had a conference call to discuss his options. They will decide if surgery is needed. It seems likely. Samorukov was having a great year in the KHL, and the plan was for him to come and play in the American League when his KHL season was over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->