2017 Draft - 3rd Pick: Dmitri Samorukov

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
If Bro and Sam are making less than a mil each and outperforming Keith then no issues with Keith being #7.

Holland may add Ryan Murray to a multi year deal and I still wouldn't be worried. You can make moves down the road to fit in the 2 rookies if they are ready.

We will likely see both of them suit up for Oilers at some point this season.
We could also just not have paid assets to bring in a 5.5 million dollar bum for leadership purposes when he can't even speak up for his teammates getting sexually abused. There is an absolutely gigantic issue of having a 5.5 million dollar potential #7 dman and it's a fireable offense.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We could also just not have paid assets to bring in a 5.5 million dollar bum for leadership purposes when he can't even speak up for his teammates getting sexually abused. There is an absolutely gigantic issue of having a 5.5 million dollar potential #7 dman and it's a fireable offense.
Well him being a potential #7 are the about the same (or less) as being a potential #1 . Chances of Keith outperforming Nurse are higher than losing a LD spot to guys like Samourkov, Lagesson, Russell and Broberg.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I think one of the funniest thing about this is we paid through the nose for a broken down Keith at 5.5 when the first thing Holland did was buyout a vet presence in Sekera right off the bat and we are still paying not to play for us.

The level of stupidity for the Keith acquisition is monumental.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It takes minimum 200 nhl games to get a glimmer of what a defenseman is. 400 before you should be considering moving one.

Schultz Petry plus a plethora of other solid d have been moved on from by this organization because of poor planning.

Keith at age 40, Barrie, and Cody Ceci are just not the kind of players you being in over young promising defense.

I'm just really hoping Ceci is for us what Petry was for Montreal. Almost laughed when saying that but that's basically what Holland is gambling on. That and the fountain of youth for Keith.

It's a very frustrating trend looking around the league.

So how does the Oilers compete for a Cup if they have to play all of Jones, Bear, Lagesson and Samorukov at the same time? Sorry but that's just not how the NHL works. This team is trying to compete, not to play a bunch of rookies at the same time.

Nurse-Bear
Jones-Bouchard
Lagesson-Samorukov

Is that your dream lineup? Is that what the Oilers should've gone into this season with? All so we can wait and see what we have (in players that have never been real blue-chip prospects mind you).

Ementy

May 11, 2010
I think one of the funniest thing about this is we paid through the nose for a broken down Keith at 5.5 when the first thing Holland did was buyout a vet presence in Sekera right off the bat and we are still paying not to play for us.

The level of stupidity for the Keith acquisition is monumental.
You're so cleverrrrr.

Keith:
Career Playoffs GP:135 G:18 A:68 P:86
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sekera:
GP:46G:2 A:3 P:5
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
and 27 of those were after the Oilers In Dallas's deep run where he was 1 assist and -1

SO at the time of leaving the Oilers: 19 playoff games experience.

It's night and day.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So how does the Oilers compete for a Cup if they have to play all of Jones, Bear, Lagesson and Samorukov at the same time? Sorry but that's just not how the NHL works. This team is trying to compete, not to play a bunch of rookies at the same time.

Nurse-Bear
Jones-Bouchard
Lagesson-Samorukov

Is that your dream lineup? Is that what the Oilers should've gone into this season with? All so we can wait and see what we have (in players that have never been real blue-chip prospects mind you).

Organizations like Nashville have it down to a science.

There is absolutely an argument that this year your line up is better than lol Keith, Barrie, and Ceci.

And with good development every year that argument should get stronger and stronger.

Edit: It's embarrassing that Holland and yourself apparently think a defense core of Keith, Ceci, and Barrie with Smith and Koskinen can even remotely have the possibility of winning a cup. Most pundits have us at the bottom of the league for defense and goaltending and people think we have a cup contending team?

Edit 2 @Ementy : I always felt keeping Sekera as a vet presence for our young defense was a far better option than buying him out. I find it very funny the extent Holland has gone to bring that into the organization.

I fully expect Keith's contributions to regular season or playoffs for us to be so feeble bringing up stats like you have to be completely irrelevant to this or any conversation. Keith is done as an nhl top 4 defender period.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Organizations like Nashville have it down to a science.

There is absolutely an argument that this year your line up is better than lol Keith, Barrie, and Ceci.

And with good development every year that argument should get stronger and stronger.

Edit: It's embarrassing that Holland and yourself apparently think a defense core of Keith, Ceci, and Barrie with Smith and Koskinen can even remotely have the possibility of winning a cup. Most pundits have us at the bottom of the league for defense and goaltending and people think we have a cup contending team?
Yes, it is embarrassing to think that playing 3 legit NHLers in Ceci, Keith, Barrie over 3 AHLers Samu/Bro/Jones would be an upgrade :/

The great Nashville organization finished last season with 8 less points than Oilers .

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I never said that. The Oilers defense and goaltending is, on paper, not nearly good enough to compete for a Cup as it stands now, but my point was that it would've been even worse if they played Jones, Bear, Lagesson and Samorukov at the same time.

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019
You're so cleverrrrr.

Keith:
Career Playoffs GP:135 G:18 A:68 P:86
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sekera:
GP:46G:2 A:3 P:5
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
and 27 of those were after the Oilers In Dallas's deep run where he was 1 assist and -1

SO at the time of leaving the Oilers: 19 playoff games experience.

It's night and day.
Put up Gretzkys careers playoff stats while you're at it. What does it matter? Nobody's criticizing the deal because Keith was never a good player, we're criticizing it because he's not a good player anymore. I don't know what point you're trying to make, and I'd wager you don't actually have one.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Put up Gretzkys careers playoff stats while you're at it. What does it matter? Nobody's criticizing the deal because Keith was never a good player, we're criticizing it because he's not a good player anymore. I don't know what point you're trying to make, and I'd wager you don't actually have one.

Sekera also isn't a good player anymore. Likely not really even close to Keith.

That was the comparison being made.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019
Sekera also isn't a good player anymore. Likely not really even close to Keith.

That was the comparison being made.
And you made that point by listing their career playoff stats? Was anyone even saying Sekera is anything more than a 3rd pair? I don't get it.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Yes, it is embarrassing to think that playing 3 legit NHLers in Ceci, Keith, Barrie over 3 AHLers Samu/Bro/Jones would be an upgrade :/

The great Nashville organization finished last season with 8 less points than Oilers .

Ha ha. Yes, you are correct.
Its funny how many have no clue how likely it is that a young d will get chwed up.
Wont even get into that its a real question of Samo ever been a decent NHL'r, yet people want to give him a job now.
Too funny

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sammy is coming off a serious injury so I suspect that he starts the season in the AHL---- but I wouldn't be surprised if he graduates by Christmas.

I really hope he isn't dealt away in some short sighted attempt to bring in another mediocre goaltender.

LHD with all-round skills are a rarity.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad