Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Would not trade Fischer for Nelson. I like the odds of Fischer improving a bit, and he's basically been a 15-20-35 player for us this year, so even if he doesn't improve, he's a useful player with his size and speed. He needs to bring the fire more often.

I like Nelson more than rt, though. He's got size and will use it. Plays C or wing. He's good for 20 goals a year with about 15 minutes of ice time. Yes, he takes games off, but we have the same problem with Fischer and Perlini, etc , and still find them valuable.
We need to keep taking baby steps. Guys who bring the sticky every game and also pot 20+ goals a year simply aren't made available very often, though obviously we should add one if he is. Our decisions right now should be based on if the guy brings an upgrade (even short term) to what we have now, weighted against cost to acquire and how flexible it leaves us if another add or a kid can make him redundant in the future.
Perlini and Fischer have those issues, sure. Nelson to me is basically a sack of shit with a great shot. He's on another level of frustrating loaf of underutilized god given tools. I'm pretty sure most Islanders fans hate him. I would.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
And yet, we don't have Richardson under contract , and we are icing Rinaldo every night. So I'd be looking to improve our NHL-quality depth by hook and crook so we aren't recalling people from Tucson every other day, even if it means adding guys that aren't 1st and second liners on a contender or even pretender. Guys like Nelson and Rask who can make a show of it if guys aren't ready to make the next step, or be useful lower in the lineup if they get bumped.
Nelson pit up Fischer numbers the first year, and has scored 20+ since. Rask is a useful and versatile guy with a touch of upside.

Would I like to add better players than those? Sure. But where are they available at a price/contract that doesn't cripple us?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Michael Bunting is having a solid season for Tucson and he could see some time next season...I like him more than Martinook, he's faster, more aggressive and can finish, I'm sure he can put up better #'s than Martinook.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If Richardson doesn't return this summer I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Rask if the price is right. But I don't get trading either Fischer or Perlini for Nelson when they at bare minimum have similar offensive upside as Nelson while also being 6 years younger and also making 1/4 as much salary.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Who wants to trade Perlini or Fischer to add one of those guys? Not me. I said the same thing in the first post. Similar warts with alot more upside.
I'm just saying those guys would give us better depth and a better roster than what we're icing now. We would be a better team with them than without looking at our roster nezt year. Especially when we've been recalling centers and playing Domi out of position this year. I'd much rather slide Nelson and/or Rask over when we have injuries. And both guys are probably pretty easily attainable.

Also, I/we've missed you around here.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Minnesota is interesting. They are at $76,727,757 right now and only losing a total of 5.1m in space with Cullen and Winnik leaving and Zucker and Dumba's current contracts expiring. If the cap goes up to 80m they will have essentially 10m to resign Dumba, Zucker and depth players. If they have another early exit how do they sell to their fans that they are any better going at it again with the same roster? Zucker and Dumba are RFA's. I would target either player or see how we can relieve more space for them (take Ennis for the Buff 3rd and buy him out).

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Minnesota's blueline is kind of a mess outside of their top 4, so I doubt they'll move Dumba unless they're getting a top 4 guy back in return. As such, I think Zucker might be a more doable target (and I'd love to add him).

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Niederreiter also has a 5.250 cap hit for the next four seasons and has been outproduced by Zucker the past two seasons. Neiderreiter + Ennis (yotes buy him out) for Perlini or Fischer and a 3rd? I dont know, the more I look at Minnesotas forwards like Coyle or Nino the more I see a similar trajectory that Perlini and Fischer are on. Good goal and assist totals, with around 30 points their first two seasons, and then making tje jump to the 45-55 point range after. Maybe being patient is the way to go.

If Rinaldo and Crouse are the extra forwards and we can replace Archibald/Hamilton for a solid 3rd liner we should be able to roll three lines that are a threat offensively and the Cabo line to wear opposing top lines out.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I wouldn't want to trade young assets for a winger or sign an expensive UFA like Neal. If we pick up a winger, lets do it on the cheap or by solving somebody else's cap dump problem. If we have to give up a young winger, it should be for a C at RNHish level. If we sign Raanta, keep the team together, draft BPA and help a team with a cap dump, I would be good with that. Stability is more important then lots of changes this summer and next year.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Michael Bunting is having a solid season for Tucson and he could see some time next season...I like him more than Martinook, he's faster, more aggressive and can finish, I'm sure he can put up better #'s than Martinook.

He's got a nice agitating quality that Nook lacks.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
All things equal (if true) Nevada benefits Neal, over Arizona. He has enjoyed potential tax relief playing with the Stars, Preds and Knights. If he leaves VGK, that (taxes) surely factor in for he and the team offering the contact. If I was a betting man, I'd say he stays in LV. If not, I'd wager he lands on TBL as a Kunitz replacement.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Seems to me that it all depends upon the draft as to who we are willing to give up. If we are in line for Svech or Zadina, I'd be more interested in moving a combination of Domi/Perlin/Fischer for center help.

If we draft Dahlin, then I would be more inclined to trade OEL in a blockbuster trade for a 1C.

If we draft from the 2nd tier, I would be inclined to trade Chychrun for center help.

rt

May 13, 2004
Seems to me that it all depends upon the draft as to who we are willing to give up. If we are in line for Svech or Zadina, I'd be more interested in moving a combination of Domi/Perlin/Fischer for center help.

If we draft Dahlin, then I would be more inclined to trade OEL in a blockbuster trade for a 1C.

If we draft from the 2nd tier, I would be inclined to trade Chychrun for center help.

Why? Trade Strome. If you acquire another center to go with Stepan and Dvorak, you're pushing Strome out of the line-up, anyway. Or trade the pick.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I keep the core together. It took years to draft these players and letting them develop, most still having a ways to go. Like Cobra said, we need stability, let's stay the course, let the kids develop further, tinker with the roster and not do a silly trade that helps now but not in the future.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Why? Trade Strome. If you acquire another center to go with Stepan and Dvorak, you're pushing Strome out of the line-up, anyway. Or trade the pick.
IMO Strome has no value. He would be a secondary piece. Chychrun, or should we get Dahlin, OEL, would be the primary pieces. Srome alone gets you nothing of significance.

rt

May 13, 2004
IMO Strome has no value. He would be a secondary piece. Chychrun, or should we get Dahlin, OEL, would be the primary pieces. Srome alone gets you nothing of significance.
I'm baffled. I think I'd need to see your whole plan...

Something like?

1. Lose three lotteries and pick a guy like Wahlstrom 6th or 7th or something
2. Trade Chychrun for some reason to some place for a center that's somewhere between Stepan and Dvorak in terms of effectiveness?
3. Leave Strome in the minors or give him Brad Richardson's job or make him a winger or something? Or...trade him for some D prospect like Jake Bean or someone?

Is that it?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Chychrun is young and getting better. Zero interest in trading him.
and it would be great if the entire defense returned intact. I'm one of the few that wouldn't mind having Shenn back on a 1 year deal.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Plan? Who said anything about plans???

Ok- Needs:
1: 1C
2: Top 6 RHS
3: Top 6 LHS
4: RHD

Picking 4-7 gets me a forward. With our depth at D I would trade Chick for a 1C. Probably need to kick in at least Strome, or for a top 10 1C add Fischer or Perlini. That’s my plan. We can only go so far without a true 1C. Look at what Nashville needed to do.

CoyotesFan18

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Might be a dumb question but if Chychrun is done for the season, do we have to play a forward on D or do we get the emergency call up

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
At this point I dont mind:
Keller-Stepan-Panik
Domi-Strome-X/Fischer
Perlini-Dvo-Fischer/Y
Cabo

Either a more of a vet sniper for that 2nd line (X) or just a solid 3rd liner (Y).

If we arent knocking at the playoffs without losing any players and soley adding then maybe retool the next season. Domi has been great with Strome, time to get them their Duke. If getting that top 6 guy who can clean up garbage and snipe then get a good 25-35 point toolsy 3rd liner and move Fishy up. Maybe he is a Panik type for the Stromi line.

Reactions: Conor Clancey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad