Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
@_Del_

Mapped out our records over the past 2 seasons. You're right. It's only a matter of time before this season leapfrogs last.

X axis is Games Played
Y axis is Points

curWyGR.jpg

Reactions: Yandover

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
@_Del_

Mapped out our records over the past 2 seasons. You're right. It's only a matter of time before this season leapfrogs last.

X axis is Games Played
Y axis is Points

curWyGR.jpg
You would be a damn fool if you didn't think it should. We have much more talent this year and the kids are more experienced. Comparing this year to last and be happy with the same point total is foolish, and just proves what kind of disaster this year has been. As of today, we are in LAST f------ place with 17 games left in the season. LAST place with more talent, let that sink in for a moment. This year we should have been sniffing around a playoff position or at least making it interesting. I don't give a s--- about last year, this year is what I'm interested in, period. I wanted to see that big jump in standing, not discussing if we finish last, or second or third last. Don't try and sugar coat this year because we just went on a little run. What's transpired this year has been the worst case scenario for this franchise.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The only reason the Coyotes weren't in "LAST" place at this point in the season prior was because Colorado managed a stunning 37 points on 6 March 2017.
The Coyotes had 53 points with 17 games last year with the best goaltending/coaching combo to grace the NHL. Without the Avs bailing us out, we'd also have been "LAST". We've got 51 points this year with "the worst ever" coaching and subpar goaltending for a horrific start in the first third of the season so far. Past that, we've been pretty good.

We went 2-15-3 in our first 20 (for a variety of reasons), and we're STILL catching up to past year's total... Please tell me again about how much better we were, and how this year is a "disaster" in comparison.

We're 18-19-8 since then. That's a good chunk of the season (70%) not a little run -- and we're still climbing. That's .489 point percentage (just over 79 pt pace). Not bad for a team that was .427 percent last year.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The only reason the Coyotes weren't in "LAST" place at this point in the season prior was because Colorado managed a stunning 37 points on 6 March 2017.
The Coyotes had 53 points with 17 games last year with the best goaltending/coaching combo to grace the NHL. Without the Avs bailing us out, we'd also have been "LAST". We've got 51 points this year with "the worst ever" coaching and subpar goaltending for a horrific start in the first third of the season so far. Past that, we've been pretty good.

We went 2-15-3 in our first 20 (for a variety of reasons), and we're STILL catching up to past year's total... Please tell me again about how much better we were, and how this year is a "disaster" in comparison.

We're 18-19-8 since then. That's a good chunk of the season (70%) not a little run -- and we're still climbing. That's .489 point percentage (just over 79 pt pace). Not bad for a team that was .427 percent last year.
This season was explained to you a million times, but you always want to compare it to last year. This year has been a disaster and there is no other way to look at it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It’s a least a little better now that we’re not using the name anymore. It’s implied and all, but it just FEELS a little more civil and a little less petty. Maybe that’s just me. :dunno:

Either way, I’ve moved on.

Reactions: CC96

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This season was explained to you a million times, but you always want to compare it to last year. This year has been a disaster and there is no other way to look at it.
I didn't expect any point improvement, and the people bitching about points this season are the same ones that gloried in last year's "performance" and say we are going backwards. Why wouldn't we compare them to evaluate those claims?

"We should be better than last year. We are worse."

--actually we've been quite a bit better for most of the season. Look at the numbers.

"Stop comparing this season to last season"

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I didn't expect any point improvement, and the people *****ing about points this season are the same ones that gloried in last year's "performance" and say we are going backwards. Why wouldn't we compare them to evaluate those claims?

"We should be better than last year. We are worse."

--actually we've been quite a bit better for most of the season. Look at the numbers.

"Stop comparing this season to last season"

I'm like rt. I've moved on. Have fun comparing this year to last.

This is a subjective assertion that doesn't seem to be proved out by the numbers.
It's not all about stats. Take Hjalmarsson for example. Look at OEL how he is starting to play much better with Demers. Keller is a talent which we have never had. You can add Stepan to that mix as well even though most expected more, but he is a step up from Hanzal.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What's past is past. Now where have I heard that line before? Looking forward I expect big things from Keller next year. This year he wasn't ready for the long schedule and he ran out of gas, just when the college season would have ended. Next year he will have his body in NHL game shape. Domi, hopefully, will return to form after a summer filled with workouts as well as nice, pretty distractions. OEL, perhaps, will have it all put together as well. I would like to pick up a big power forward for the first line. If we get Dahlin in the draft, fine. BPA, but we need a power forward almost a bad as we need a 1C.

My only concern for next year is Strome. We really need a 1C and I hope he rises to the challenge.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
@_Del_

X axis is Games Played
Y axis is Points

curWyGR.jpg

The most interesting thing about his graph to me is the couple of spots where both teams struggled mightily it seems. The start of the season AND at the 30 game mark or so. Even at 50 they had some hiccups in both seasons. Perhaps it's just coincidence... but I still find it somewhat interesting!

The good thing I see from that graph is near the end, of course. This year's Yotes are doing a better job from game 53 on at not losing for extended games as much as last year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Agreed. We should have more points then last years team, 80 points ish was reasonable to expect at the beginning of the year. Forget coaching for a minute, lets assume the coaching had zero effect on our play.
We added:
Hammer-better then any D not named OEL
Demers-top 4D
Stepan-better then Hanzal, plays many more games, and Hanzal was gone for the last 20
Keller-Top 5 rookie

We knew all of the above before the season started, and none of the assumptions above are inaccurate. All teams have injuries and Vegas has played 4 goalies, so forget those excuses. We should be an 80 point+ team. I am glad we are playing better now and hope it continues, but our record is a disaster just like the Hawks and the Oilers.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We're on an 80 pt pace over the last 45 games... Disaster.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
A bad start many predicted because of roster turnover, young players, and a complete 180 in coaching philosophy aggravated by ECHL goaltending in what we hoped would be a development year.

Followed by first an improvement to 80 point pace over 45 game stretch, and a 11-7-6 record in 2018 (96 point pace over last 24 games).

That equals a disaster in a development year to you? Amazing.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Its all about progression. We weren't getting any better under the old regime.

The new one started off awfully. But turned things around. The Yotes aren't getting lucky with wins. They pass the eye and the stat test. They are a better team now than they were in October-December. I'll take it. Do I wish it were better? Absolutely. This was a development and progression year, and I can see that they are doing both.

Next season, expectations are much higher. I'm not saying playoffs, but 90 point range or bust.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Its all about progression. We weren't getting any better under the old regime.

The new one started off awfully. But turned things around. The Yotes aren't getting lucky with wins. They pass the eye and the stat test. They are a better team now than they were in October-December. I'll take it. Do I wish it were better? Absolutely. This was a development and progression year, and I can see that they are doing both.

Next season, expectations are much higher. I'm not saying playoffs, but 90 point range or bust.
We should have been in the high 80's this year. Next year, year four of the rebuild, we should expect playoffs, nothing less.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We're on an 80 pt pace over the last 45 games... Disaster.
It is what it is. Look at the standings. Dead last. We should be fighting for a playoff spot not deciding if we pick 1,2,3,4 or 5th in the draft. You can take little segments of the season all you want, but the truth is in the pudding. Just for your information, I'm not blaming the coaching totally for this fiasco rather the players, especially the vets who did not show up for the first twenty games. Now that the games don't matter and there is no pressure on this team we start to win. This year has been a total disaster, so don't try to sugar coat it with excuses.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
A bad start many predicted because of roster turnover, young players, and a complete 180 in coaching philosophy aggravated by ECHL goaltending in what we hoped would be a development year.

Followed by first an improvement to 80 point pace over 45 game stretch, and a 11-7-6 record in 2018 (96 point pace over last 24 games).

That equals a disaster in a development year to you? Amazing.

Earlier in the season you ridiculed Tocchet's coaching regime because of the way Anthony Duclair was treated.

Now you are praising them to prove a point. Why the sudden change?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Think I’ll drop this here....

8 minute plus video segment..... but some interesting tidbits in it.

Interesting stuff about Chayka's faith in him early in the season. (completely contrary to what our supposed insider friend on the Rangers board claimed about Tocchet being days away from being fired - man, that guy is 100% wrong about everything to do with the Coyotes)

Also really interesting about Tocchet's emphasis on culture and staying relevant and battling to close the season. Saying the right things, there. Don't love that he seems to think John MacLean is so integral to keeping the culture right. If that's true, I fear he'll get too much of a pass on a pathetic PP. Can't we get a PP coach that can also positively impact culture? Haha. Is that too much to ask?

Reactions: RABBIT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->