Confirmed with Link: 2017-18 roster talk, part 7; July 11: Scott Laughton, 2-yrs, $962.5k per

Status
Not open for further replies.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Funny how a lot of folks here want to play Nolan Patrick on a line with a rookie and a sophomore.
The only piece missing for complete disaster is to add a Mac Donald/Manning pairing on the blue line. :shakehead

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
When you're primarily matching them against other teams third & fourth lines it's really not a big deal.

Forty games into the season maybe I could see it. To start the season, i'd be really surprised they would put two guys who have never played in the nhl with someone who in the first year couldn't figure out how to play in the nhl (in fairness was playing a position he had never played before) was benched and relegated to play with pylons till he figured it out.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
It's funny to see everyone still hoping/wishing Manning won't be here this season. Hate to burst the bubble, but we are going to have two, not three, rookie D-men on the team. Manning may start as the number 7, but someone will get hurt and he will move into the lineup. He is perfectly fine as a third pairing number 6 D.

The hate for this heart & soul player who gives his all for his teammates is truly unbelievable. Plus, if he's not on the team, you all won't have the Boxcar around, and that would be very sad.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
It's funny to see everyone still hoping/wishing Manning won't be here this season. Hate to burst the bubble, but we are going to have two, not three, rookie D-men on the team. Manning may start as the number 7, but someone will get hurt and he will move into the lineup. He is perfectly fine as a third pairing number 6 D.

The hate for this heart & soul player who gives his all for his teammates is truly unbelievable. Plus, if he's not on the team, you all won't have the Boxcar around, and that would be very sad.

I have a ton of respect for players like Manning, VdV and Weal who were not blessed with the incredible athletic ability some of the players have and through hard work and determination become professional hockey players. Obviously, this is the internet and there are some posters who think it makes them look smart to rag on these guys or on posters that recognize and appreciate these guys for what they are. The bottom line is Mannings days in Philly are numbered due to the wave of hugely talented young guys that are going to play in the NHL in the near term. Maybe they decide to keep him at the start of the season for depth or due to injury but my guess is he won't be here.

Evergreen

Honestly, I think most of the hate for Manning is a result of your over-the-top effusive praise of him. I don't see the same criticism of Manning on other boards. I agree with you that he's a capable #7 that can fill the #6 role in case of injury. Manning actually had a nice start to last season. I think it's a good idea to have a guy like him around while we are bringing in a couple of young rookies this year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Forty games into the season maybe I could see it. To start the season, i'd be really surprised they would put two guys who have never played in the nhl with someone who in the first year couldn't figure out how to play in the nhl (in fairness was playing a position he had never played before) was benched and relegated to play with pylons till he figured it out.

That's a ridiculously negative appraisal of Konecny's first season that ended with him playing ahead of Schenn for Team Canada. He was a top 6 LW right up until the point he got hurt. Part of the reason they were OK moving Schenn is because they expect TK to get a bigger role in 17-18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M6Fo8dtLBs

"The obvious one that comes to mind is Travis Konecny," Hakstol told Zach Gelb of FOX Sports 920 The Jersey on Wednesday when asked who he expects to replace Schenn's production. "There are extra minutes available. I know that Travis is going to do the work over the summer. I know he's going to have himself at a high level of readiness and I know he's going to be hungry to assume a little bit more of those minutes and a little larger role.

"He's a guy who will step in and provide some of that as well."

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Maybe we should try to make a worst possible lines from the talent available, since it's probably going to be closer to what Hak will ice at the start of the season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

If finishing 2nd on the team (among full season regulars so excluding Weal and Filppula) in 5v5 scoring as a 19/20 year old rookie is "not being able to figure out how to play in the NHL," then I can't wait until he does.

:amazed:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I had a dream last night that Hextall traded Hart and Sandstrom and that I was able to talk to him in person about it and convey how dissapointed I was in him :laugh:

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I had a dream last night that Hextall traded but Hart and Sandstrom and that I was able to talk to him in person about it and convey how dissapointed I was in him :laugh:

Some guys have all the luck. Last night I had a dream that I was being attacked by snakes while aliens invaded and started killing everybody. FML. I'm hesitant to go to sleep now because I know it is just going to happen again.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Are you sure you weren't dreaming about alien snakes?

I don't have nightmares about Hextall (Holmgren, that was another matter).
The dude is just "cool hand luke," without the "failure to communicate."
Ron just seems to have every angle figured out.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
If finishing 2nd on the team (among full season regulars so excluding Weal and Filppula) in 5v5 scoring as a 19/20 year old rookie is "not being able to figure out how to play in the NHL," then I can't wait until he does.

Me too. He is incredibly athletic and has a very high skill level. Thats a lot different from knowing how to play. I strongly stand by what i said having watched him play every game and more importantly many of them live where you can get a better sense of whether or not he knows where he is supposed to be and what he is supposed to do.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia

Every single player on the team gives everything they have. Hell, the only damn thing PEB had was heart and he got ****ing obliterated on here.

It's the NHL, not the YMCA floor hockey league. Don't be a terrible player and you won't get torn apart.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Every single player on the team gives everything they have. Hell, the only damn thing PEB had was heart and he got ****ing obliterated on here.

It's the NHL, not the YMCA floor hockey league. Don't be a terrible players and you won't get torn apart.

Hitting/fighting = trying/caring more.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016

I like Konecny but he did not have a real impactful season. He tried to make a play too much. He only had 28 points in 70 games. But he was a rookie. I expect more from him in year two. The 5v5 statistic shows some flaws when a 28 point guy is 2nd on team. Konecny showed flashes and his jump was noticeable. You guys use analytics way too fricking much. Trust your eyes....

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I like Konecny but he did not have a real impactful season. He tried to make a play too much. He only had 28 points in 70 games. But he was a rookie. I expect more from him in year two. The 5v5 statistic shows some flaws when a 28 point guy is 2nd on team. Konecny showed flashes and his jump was noticeable. You guys use analytics way too fricking much. Trust your eyes....

Lol...so being 3rd in 5vs5 scoring doesn't mean anything because everyone was bad?

He was also the highest scoring forward in a putrid #2 unit. If our #2 PP unit wasn't such a disappointment he could have been 40 point guy.

Now he certainly made lots of mistakes. Playing a new position and being a rookie will do that. He tried things that he could get away with in Jr. He will learn from that.

He was also underused by a coach who what more worried about not losing than winning. Having him play less 3vs3 minutes then Belle was just dumb.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Lindblom- Giroux - Voracek
Weal - Couturier - Konecny
Flip - Patrick - Simmonds
Raffl - Lehtera - Weise

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It's impressive TK had the year he had with how much his confidence must have been screwed with. Not that he's as good as some of the big rookies last year, but those guys had the chains off all year. He's a very good player that wasn't a sure thing to make the team. That tells me he will be better this year for sure. 50 pts from him would be nice. Especially since the PP2 should be a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad