Confirmed with Link: 2017-18 roster talk, part 7; July 11: Scott Laughton, 2-yrs, $962.5k per

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Open for business.

UPDATE: July 11, 2017

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have re-signed center, Scott Laughton, to a two-year contract extension, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

Laughton completed his third pro season with the organization, appearing in two games for the Flyers this season and playing a majority of the year for the club's AHL affiliate, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-re-sign-scott-laughton--philadelphia-flyers/c-290361632

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks!

I am so happy we have potential for one of the best center groups in the league. With St. Louis, habs, and the islanders all needing centerman in addition to many other teams. We are in good shape not only play wise but also trading from strength down the line.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Yeah, the only thing we need to do is get a goalie and that is it, m8.
I'm coming around to the idea of having 2+ rookie D potentially making the team.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I imagine it'll be Bernier

Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek
Filppula - Couturier - Simmonds
Read - Patrick - Konecny
Laughton - Lehtera - Raffl
Weise

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Manning
MacDonald

Bernier
Neuvirth

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Trade Matt Read for Halak (1 mil retained)

Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek
Filppula - Couturier - Simmonds
Raffl - Patrick - Konecny
Laughton - Lehtera - Weise

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Manning
MacDonald

Halak
Stolarz

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Much has been made about the effect Patrick will have on Giroux, but I'm pretty excited for Couturier. Without any pressure to produce offense now, I'm expecting him to flourish in his role and he'll get the recognition he deserves once this team starts making deep playoff runs.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
I wish the Flyers had been in play for Hjalmarsson, who went for almost nothing. Although I'd like to see both Hagg and Morin make the team, I think it's important to have a veteran defenseman other than Gudas. (MacDonald is banished to somewhere far away, hopefully)

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I wish the Flyers had been in play for Hjalmarsson, who went for almost nothing. Although I'd like to see both Hagg and Morin make the team, I think it's important to have a veteran defenseman other than Gudas. (MacDonald is banished to somewhere far away, hopefully)
It is important. Mac should be waived.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

Why?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gudas is a vet, Provorov might as well be, MacDonald plays like trash but he's a vet, and Ghost hasn't played for 10 years but he's not 19 years old and definitely sounds like a vet when he talks.

This need for veteran players is exaggerated, in my opinion. Especially when half of them wouldn't be an upgrade over the rookies we're about to see.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This need for veteran players is exaggerated, in my opinion. Especially when half of them wouldn't be an upgrade over the rookies we're about to see.

Hugely exaggerated. All you're getting with vets are guys whose best play is in the past and who are either nearing or are already on a decline, the steepness of which can sometimes be dramatic.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Gudas is a vet, Provorov might as well be, MacDonald plays like trash but he's a vet, and Ghost hasn't played for 10 years but he's not 19 years old and definitely sounds like a vet when he talks.

Precisely.

I'm sick of seeing "we need vet" ********. If you can acquire a long term above average vet, I'm listening, but they are few and far between.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We had a ton of vets last year, Gudas, MacDonald, Streit, MDZ, and Schultz... and what was that worth? Zero.

The whole time we were watching them we were dreaming of replacing them with young guys. Now that we're about to do so, we want more useless vets? No thanks.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
We had a ton of vets last year, Gudas, MacDonald, Streit, MDZ, and Schultz... and what was that worth? Zero.

The whole time we were watching them we were dreaming of replacing them with young guys. Now that we're about to do so, we want more useless vets? No thanks.

Mid season when people see the "vets" sucking ass, they clamor for kids. Then when we want to push the kids, they get all scared and worry about their development.

You know what? They'll learn.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
Precisely.

I'm sick of seeing "we need vet" ********. If you can acquire a long term above average vet, I'm listening, but they are few and far between.

I'm not advocating any veteran defenseman. Hjalmarsson would be ideal in that vein and has very reasonable contract with only two more years remaining. I did not see him play much last year, so word of his decline would be news to me.

Essentially, I have a deep psychological terror associated with another year of MacDonald receiving top 4 minutes.

Provorov is a machine, but it is a bit presumptuous to believe there will not be rough patches in a sophomore season. We saw many rough patches with Ghost last year. Also, it is unlikely Hagg/Morin/Sanheim have a seamless transition to the NHL.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002

Aside from Gudas, those players are assuredly garbage. Unless I'm totally outdated in this belief here, Hjalmarsson is a very solid player.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I think the second rookie d, to make the flyers, will be Hagg. I don't think Sanheim makes the big club, at the start of he season. Four rookies, making the big club, with more size,speed,skill. We shouldn't be shocked with a slow start, but hopefully we finish strong, hopefully headed to the playoffs.

Hakstol Jim Duggan

Oct 16, 2015
My biggest worry is Sanheim doesn't make the team, due to the fact two other rookies with more seasoning (Morin/Hagg) will slot in. I hope they start with all three, but I doubt it. If half of the starting six is Morin, Hagg, and MacD/Manning... meh.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Aside from Gudas, those players are assuredly garbage. Unless I'm totally outdated in this belief here, Hjalmarsson is a very solid player.

Hjalmarsson was traded for an NHL defensemen though. I'm not a huge fan of Murphy as he's just okay. But the perception on him is likely a younger NHL defender with promise to get better on a manageable long term contract. The Flyers didn't really have that to offer.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
At some point you have to take the training wheels off. If you keep signing guys/trading for guys, all you do is stop the kids from trying.

Flyers have 5 dmen signed. Which means we are banking on Hakstol to bench Mac/Manning.

If they acquire any more "vets," it'll be a lock that only 1 kid can make it and that kid will still be at risk at sitting and then you are watching Manning/MacDonald play night in and night out.

And you can't keep counting on replacing MacDonald with another vet, right now it's 99% chance he's staying in some fashion. If Hexy adds somebody, it's probably adding to the MacD/Manning/Gudas grouping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad