Confirmed with Link: 2017-18 roster talk, part 7; July 11: Scott Laughton, 2-yrs, $962.5k per

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Now with no guessing on what contracts will be this is hopefully how it shakes out:

Weal - Giroux - Simmonds
Filppula - Couturier - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny
Laughton - Lehtera - Raffl
Read
Weise

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Hagg
MacDonald

Elliot
Neuvirth

That lineup would have $2,507,500 in cap space but someone like Read could potentially be traded with salary retention to free more room. The potential bonus pool would be $5,025,000 with that lineup.

Any guesses at what the special teams units will look like?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Any guesses at what the special teams units will look like?

Tough to tell with a new coach & a lot of new faces.

On the PK I'd imagine Couturier, Simmonds, Filppula, Laughton, Lindblom, & Read should be in the mix upfront. Perhaps Patrick as well. On the backend Provorov, Gudas, Morin, Hagg, or MacDonald should be in the mix. They won't play Gostisbehere assuredly & Sanheim if he were to make is probably sitting on the bench as well for that role.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Tough to tell with a new coach & a lot of new faces.

On the PK I'd imagine Couturier, Simmonds, Filppula, Laughton, Lindblom, & Read should be in the mix upfront. Perhaps Patrick as well. On the backend Provorov, Gudas, Morin, Hagg, or MacDonald should be in the mix. They won't play Gostisbehere assuredly & Sanheim if he were to make is probably sitting on the bench as well for that role.

Finally... a decent looking PK squad! :laugh:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
of all our LW's Filppula is likely the best fit to be on Patrick's line.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
To start the season i would think Simmonds is on Patricks line. Funny we don't really have any other forward that drops the gloves.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
To start the season i would think Simmonds is on Patricks line. Funny we don't really have any other forward that drops the gloves.

Like I said a few weeks ago, I would gladly have traded one of the Blues's 1st rounders for Ryan Reaves instead.

We may not have any other forward fighters, but we do have Brndn "Mn Dg" Mnnng patrolling the back end.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Filppula is a drag on his linemates in driving the play. So I rather have him with Couturier who excels in propping guys up in that regard than with a rookie.

Flippula wasn't a drag when he was with Weal and Simmonds.

Flippula is a good playmaker and good at passing, I believe it had a big part in Weal's production down the stretch.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Like I said a few weeks ago, I would gladly have traded one of the Blues's 1st rounders for Ryan Reaves instead.

We may not have any other forward fighters, but we do have Brndn "Mn Dg" Mnnng patrolling the back end.

:laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Flippula wasn't a drag when he was with Weal and Simmonds.

Flippula is a good playmaker and good at passing, I believe it had a big part in Weal's production down the stretch.

Small sample size but his CF% was 46.2% with a CF% rel of -5.7 in his 20 games with the Flyers. Overall on the year he was 48.9% & -3.0 in 79 games. He scores well at ES but he hasn't been good at driving possession in some time.

So I would rather see him with Couturier over Patrick.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Stick Weal with Patrick and Konecny and let them be a sheltered offensive line.

Lindblom with G and Voracek should help them finally have a guy who can go to the net and actually convert their passes.

Flip with Couts and Simmonds....everyone plays good with Couts so that line should be fine.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Jake has been such a mess of late and historically he does better with Coots than Giroux. Now that Schenn doesn't have to be accommodated I'd like to see Jake on Coots's RW. Anyone on the team could play the left on that line. Wouldn't mind seeing TK join them to reunite that great line. Or go heavy with Lindblom and give Giroux some of TK's speed. Weal-Coots-Jake did really well in their sample too. Again that LW isn't a concern.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Lindblom with G and Voracek should help them finally have a guy who can go to the net and actually convert their passes.

Flip with Couts and Simmonds....everyone plays good with Couts so that line should be fine.

Looks good.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

NONONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONONOOO

giphy.gif

DO NOT RUIN THAT LINE FOR ME

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
The way I see our lineup is that we have few guys that can elevate anyone they play with and times of old washed up guys dragging our team down seem to be ending, but I still question this team.

No starting goalie.
Moron of a coach.
D still isn't there and Amac alone makes our top pairing one of the worst in the league.
I'm not even going to pretend I'm confident we will make the playoff this year.

I would say that I'm excited for new comers, but I couldn't bear to watch games down the line with Ghost, Kony and Provy out there not to even speak of actually enjoying the on ice product.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

I say **** that, let them play with someone weak like Read. Sooner they realize they need to go to the ****ing net the better of this team will be. They are too content with throwing passes from perimeter as it is.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Hakstok can flip the 1st 3 lines anyway he wants, so in that capacity it's a good problem to have.
The 4th line of LW Raffl C Lehtera RW Weise is the only line that most of the natives agree on.
With
Laughton and Read as the healthy scratches until injury provides an opportunity for them to play.

I've been playing around with the the top 3 lines and I like Lindblom G and Jake the most for the 1st line.
The 2nd and 3rd lines were a lot tougher after seeing everyone's opinions as to which line combinations would be best for the team for the 2017-18 season.
LW2 Filppula ~ is a good passer and playmaker, he may help with his linemates point totals, but isn't a line driver.
C2 Couturier ~ best defensive forward shutdown guy with Filp and Simmer could help with scoring.
RW2 Simmer ~ best goal scorer on the team last season, could be just as good with Flip dishing the puck or having Sean on the backcheck to get Simmer the puck.

LW3 Weal ~ had breakout down the stretch last season, hopefully he can pickup where he left off, is best playing with a good passer Patrick can dish pretty good, and Konecny is fearless in front of the net.
C3 Patrick ~ Rookie season, good F/O man, good playmaker and passer would be great if Patrick clicks with Weal shooting or passing and Nec plowing his way to the net for deflections or burying rebounds.
RW3 ~ Konecny goes to his natural right side, also a decent playmaker still learning like his linemates I believe this line could grow together real nice. Having better linemates this season should also help immensely. (No more being frustrated with Bellemare and VandeVelde)

If anyone on the 2nd or 3rd line I would flip, it would be Weal and Nolan to the 2nd line and Flip and Coots to the 3rd line to make team more defensive or offensive at any time.
I believe the lines the way they are at bottom gives team more balance.

Starting this way, but Weal and Nolan to the 2nd line if more offense is needed and Flip and Coots to the 3rd line if needing to go to shutdown mode.

Line 1 LW Lindblom C Giroux RW Voracek
Line 2 LW Filppula C Couturier RW Simmonds
Line 3 LW Weal C Patrick RW Konecny
Line 4 LW Raffl C Lehtera RW Weise

Extra: Laughton and Read

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Now with no guessing on what contracts will be this is hopefully how it shakes out:

Weal - Giroux - Simmonds
Filppula - Couturier - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny
Laughton - Lehtera - Raffl
Read
Weise

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Hagg
MacDonald

Elliot
Neuvirth

That lineup would have $2,507,500 in cap space but someone like Read could potentially be traded with salary retention to free more room. The potential bonus pool would be $5,025,000 with that lineup.

Yeah man, I think you're not far off as we stand today. Plus, we should note that the lineup will evolve over the season, especially with all these young players in the lineup and injuries. I've been playing with the combinations below. Could also swap

Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek (or Konecny - Giroux - Simmonds)
Konecny - Patrick - Simmonds (or Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek)
Filppula - Couturier - Weal
Raffl- Lehtera/Laughton - Read/Weise

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Gostisbehere
MacDonald/ Hagg - Sanheim

Manning - I personally think he's not going to make the team this year, he might be around to start the season but it will only because hakstol is being stubborn. He doesn't have a single defining quality and those kids are not that young anymore. Can anyone here honestly say that Brandon Manning is going to outperform Sanheim, Morin, or Hagg, probably Myers as well? It's not that I hate manning, I just cannot see any aspect of his game that is more beneficial than the younger guys. Outside, of just being earlier I don't know what part of his game will keep him around. Even poise with the puck, I would not give to Manning over the kids. Look at guys look Ghost and Provorov, the level of control and patience is miles better than Manning in their FIRST year. It's really not that bad though, he might pass through waivers or we could move him for 4th pick. (Note: Protecting him in Expansion means nothing, we literally had no other D-men worth protecting. McDonald would of been a dream) Manning right now is the VET on PTO. It's his spot to lose.

Elliot
Neuvirth
Stolarz (Will be #2 by due to injuries to Neuvirth or Elliot by season's end)

Last edited:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
NONONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONONOOO

giphy.gif

DO NOT RUIN THAT LINE FOR ME

what if Hak does something like this?

Weal/Giroux/Voracek
Weal/Patrick/Konecny
Weal/Couturier/Simmonds
Weal/Lehtera/Weise

wouldn't it be great if Weal could play a full 60 minutes? :naughty:

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

Your sarcasm is so subtle, beautiful work. I had to read, and reread, that several times before it all.ce together and made sense.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I'm gonna make a super bold prediction.....

Neuvirth doesn't miss more than a week due to injury this year.

I'll raise you one better. Stolarz is either platooning or is the starter around game 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad