Confirmed with Link: 2017-18 roster talk, part 7; July 11: Scott Laughton, 2-yrs, $962.5k per

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Bottom line is who's going to beat out Patrick for the 3c spot come camp? Laughton? Lehtera? *Cue laughtrack*

Even if Hex/Hak wanted to shoehorn him in at wing he would end up at 3c anyway eventually to stem the bleeding after our bottom 6 inevitably gets knocked around the first 15-30 games or so

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Patrick is an option at wing. There is nothing wrong with him learning the system as a winger. His skating is also a step behind imo.

There is nothing wrong with him playing wing to get acclimated. I'm ready to take some lumps here but Coots is a player who I believe was a casualty this.

I have no probs with anybody playing D, Coots is world class imo, but a year at wing imo would have developed his O game

Patrick is not in the tier of McD, Matthews or Crosby. Look at other C's a tier below. Most played wing at some point

Monahan and Barkov started as centers, and Barkov was a year younger than Patrick.

Playign wing isn't some shortcut to becoming better offensively. Young players move to wing if the defensive responsibilities of playing center are too much for them, and there's no reason to think they will be for Patrick when he'll be behind Giroux and Couturier and the Flyers should have a solid 4th line finally.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Patrick is an option at wing. There is nothing wrong with him learning the system as a winger. His skating is also a step behind imo.

There is nothing wrong with him playing wing to get acclimated. I'm ready to take some lumps here but Coots is a player who I believe was a casualty this.

I have no probs with anybody playing D, Coots is world class imo, but a year at wing imo would have developed his O game

Patrick is not in the tier of McD, Matthews or Crosby. Look at other C's a tier below. Most played wing at some point

Playing Patrick at C primarily would be limiting his development imho.

Even Draisaitl spent a good portion at wing in his short career, with McD and RNH

If Patrick makes the NHL early, wing would be a better spot. If he develops in the minors, C is just fine

None of this makes any sense.... :laugh:

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
You are wasting miles on him at wing. Stupid idea, stupid plan. A complete waste of time.

Agreed. Look how it completely destroyed Giroux's development.

I really don't see the outrage over him potentially being a 1st line left wing for portions of his rookie season, playing with the best players we have on the team. You don't have to shoehorn him in there, but if it happens so be it. Plenty of guys bounce around the lineup in their rookie years and play different positions. Giroux played wing for and also centered a few combinations of players in his rookie year, and his second year as well I believe.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agreed. Look how it completely destroyed Giroux's development.

I really don't see the outrage over him potentially being a 1st line left wing for portions of his rookie season, playing with the best players we have on the team. You don't have to shoehorn him in there, but if it happens so be it. Plenty of guys bounce around the lineup in their rookie years and play different positions. Giroux played wing for and also centered a few combinations of players in his rookie year.

He can still play with quality wingers at C.

If Patrick plays wing, it means Filppula is 3C.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Giroux isn't a similar player to Patrick. And I'm not sure why you think making Patrick learn a new position is going to make things easier for him than just letting hm be the center of a sheltered scoring line with Giroux, Couturier, and Laughton/Lehtera getting the harder matchups down the middle.

If he was going to play wing it would be the right side, and we're already loaded there.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Players as talented as Patrick and with the hockey IQ he has do not need to "learn" how to play wing, especially when they're on the ice with other super talented players. Centers that struggle with switching to wing do so because they're lacking in the qualities that allows them to make an easy transition, and by all accounts Patrick is not one of these players.

If he doesn't play W at all that's fine, but I don't think him spending some time there warrants a collective mental breakdown from the fanbase.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I especially love the "playing him at C will limit his development" line :laugh:

I think when Sanheim makes the team he should play wing for a bit too... playing D, his natural position, will limit his development. You never want a player to play where they're comfortable, always better to shove them somewhere they don't belong because it makes you sound patient and careful, even when it's actually the opposite.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Players as talented as Patrick and with the hockey IQ he has do not need to "learn" how to play wing, especially when they're on the ice with other super talented players. Centers that struggle with switching to wing do so because they're lacking in the qualities that allows them to make an easy transition, and by all accounts Patrick is not one of these players.

If he doesn't play W at all that's fine, but I don't think him spending some time there warrants a collective mental breakdown from the fanbase.

The mental breakdown is less ridiculous than suggesting he SHOULD start on wing for his development.

He should only move to wing if he struggles at C as a rookie..which I cant see happening considering how high his Hockey IQ is and how physically mature he is.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
The mental breakdown is less ridiculous than suggesting he SHOULD start on wing for his development.

He should only move to wing if he struggles at C as a rookie..which I cant see happening considering how high his Hockey IQ is and how physically mature he is.

In the grand scheme of his career him playing his first 25 games or something on wing means absolutely nothing, so yes the breakdown is completely ridiculous.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=70

With Vecchione, but without Morin, Hagg or Sanheim on the team, these are the average stats according to Elite Prospects.

Position: G:2 D:5 F:15
Av Age: 26.18 years
Av Ht: 184.41 cm (6'0.5")
Av Wt: 88.32 kg (194.7 lb)

Adding two of those young dmen will reduce the average age, and raise the average height and weight. But right now the Flyers are the 29th tallest team, the 30th heaviest team, and the 24th oldest team (only seven teams are younger on average).

http://www.eliteprospects.com/teams_data.php?LeagueID=7&sort=age

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
If Hakstol plays this smart, he will give Patrick at least one offensive minded winger, which with this roster should not be that difficult. Then match him up as often as possible against other team's 4th lines. That type of sheltering will be far more effective than shifting his position and having him play much tougher match ups in the top 6.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I like the idea of either Voracek or Konecny on Patrick's wing. Let him focus on exiting the zone then getting either one of them the puck on the wing so they can fly up ice and enter the ozone with him following up.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I like the idea of either Voracek or Konecny on Patrick's wing. Let him focus on exiting the zone then getting either one of them the puck on the wing so they can fly up ice and enter the ozone with him following up.

This has become my number one wish with respect to lines once we get beyond the absurd like Patrick to the wing. I would prefer to have Voracek, Konecny, and Weal all on different lines too.

Has there been any indication which side Konecny is going to play? If so, I missed it.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Konecny ought to be on the RW.

And the idea of splitting up G and Jake is growing on me. Having Jake with Patrick and Filp could provide a pretty darn good possession line. Although I'm not sure they would take enough shots. Maybe Lindblom with NP & Jake?

Then Weal-G-Simmer and Filp-Coots-Konecny? I guess weal see if Jordan can really plan this year.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think when Sanheim makes the team he should play wing for a bit too... playing D, his natural position, will limit his development. You never want a player to play where they're comfortable, always better to shove them somewhere they don't belong because it makes you sound patient and careful, even when it's actually the opposite.

my vote is for Sanheim to play goal because you are going to need someone when Nuevy ultimately gets hurt :sarcasm:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The lines will be fluid to start the season, let's face it, drawing up lines on paper is different than three guys playing together and generating chemistry (or the lack of such). The only real way to know what works is to put them on the ice together and see how they play.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This has become my number one wish with respect to lines once we get beyond the absurd like Patrick to the wing. I would prefer to have Voracek, Konecny, and Weal all on different lines too.

Has there been any indication which side Konecny is going to play? If so, I missed it.

Konecny ought to be on the RW.

And the idea of splitting up G and Jake is growing on me. Having Jake with Patrick and Filp could provide a pretty darn good possession line. Although I'm not sure they would take enough shots. Maybe Lindblom with NP & Jake?

Then Weal-G-Simmer and Filp-Coots-Konecny? I guess weal see if Jordan can really plan this year.

Weal - Giroux - Simmonds (aka the Striiker line)
Filppula - Couturier - Konecny
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek

That looks good to me! You can also go with..

Weal - Giroux - Simmonds (aka the Striiker line)
Lindblom - Couturier - Voracek
Filppula - Patrick - Konecny

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I have a feeling we are going to end up with something like this on Opening Night. I hope im wrong.

Konecny--Giroux--Voracek
Weise--Couturier--Simmonds
Lindblom--Patrick--Raffl
Laughton--Fillpula--Lehtera

Provorov--Macdonald
Sanheim--Gostisbehere
Manning--Gudas

Elliott
Nuevirth

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have a feeling we are going to end up with something like this on Opening Night. I hope im wrong.

Konecny--Giroux--Voracek
Weise--Couturier--Simmonds
Lindblom--Patrick--Raffl
Laughton--Fillpula--Lehtera

LEFT OFF WEAL

Provorov--Macdonald
Sanheim--Gostisbehere
Manning--Gudas

Elliott
Nuevirth

There he is! Bringing the Krazy as always :laugh:

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Lindy g simmer
Weal flip voraceck
Laughton cooter tk
Raffl lehtera Weiss
Read

Provy McDonald
Morin ghost
Hagg gudas

I think Patrick gets sent back to jrs to Excell like provy was the year before. Slow cooking prospects is hextall s style. Unless he captures the 2c spot straight out. We've gone from weak down the middle to rather deep forcing at least two players to play out of position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->