Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm pretty sure Koekeok is the other 2012 1st round Dman to not play over 50 games yet, He's basically Pouliot. treading bust territory

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
What kind of shape is Mario in? Maybe he can play 3C
I just figured out the puzzle:). Kevin stevens is on penguins prospect camp and Jagr is free agent:). Conglusion sign jagr so we got old line Stevens-Mario-jagr
Back together....:)

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Oy. I was waiting for one of these media guys to say the S word.

Let the mayhem begin. Would certainly solve our faceoff problem. Few are better. Still a young and healthy player, produces at about the same level as always. Not sure if he'd fit Sullivan's system though. But hey, Chicago is bringing back Saad and probably Sharp (according to Bob), so if they're gettin' the band back together maybe we will too. It's all part of teh NHL conspiracy to feature a "best Hawks team vs. best Pens team" final and give the win to Sid. It's all rigged, *****es!

Tune in to NBCSN, because the NHL is great with media that way.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
They moved out Garrison and Flippula... that's 9m+ right there. Apparently Girardi is going to 'replace' Garrison. :laugh:

Which makes no sense to me, because they gave up the rights to Gusev (a good prospect) and a pick for Vegas to take Garrison! Supposedly to keep them away from Koekkoek and Dotchin. Now, by getting Girardi they basically send Dotchin back to the AHL, unless they want to play with 4 RD.

Very strange move.

If Hanzal lands in DAL, they may look to deal a C.

For sure. It's funny, I had Stars fans telling me that Hitchcock was ADAMANT in his presser when hired that Seguin and Spezza would BOTH play C this season. Hanzal comes in and boom. Hitch, I am certain, prefers Hanzal and Faksa as his top two centers.

I think both Seguin and Spezza could be on the trade block. They do not fit what Hitchcock wants to do at all.

They are not deep on the C position, why would they deal?

They are very deep, but look for Spezza and Seguin to be on the block. Maybe Shore.

If Sergachev can't beat out Girardi (I think Girardi is a RD btw), then yikes..

Well, there is plenty of incentive for the Bolts to keep Sergachev in junior hockey one more year...they get a 2nd round pick in 2018 from Mtl if Sergachev does NOT play 40 games next season.

I think they'll take the freebie.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Coburn is a good 3rd pairing guy. Sustr too, can play 2nd pairing if required. He's not ideal there, but if there are injuries, he can do the job.

Ew, if Sustr is ever on a 2nd pairing, your Dcore sucks. He's big but thats it, slow, awkward on his skates, pretty much a worse worse version of Maatta.

and Couburn, never was a fan of his, i think he stinks, but hes an okay 3rd pair guy, but gets paid as a top 4 dman.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm pretty sure Koekeok is the other 2012 1st round Dman to not play over 50 games yet, He's basically Pouliot. treading bust territory

He mostly can't get in because of the players in front of him are good and would have to have a really bad year to be replace, no indictment on Koekkoek. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get traded to a team that has spot in the future.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Playmaker Kessel with Staal would be an incredible duo, but I flat out can't see them trading Staal anytime soon when they need forward help as much as they do.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Playmaker Kessel with Staal would be an incredible duo, but I flat out can't see them trading Staal anytime soon when they need forward help as much as they do.

Yeah.

I don't think the idea is as ridiculous as it seemed a year or two ago. But Staal + cap retention would make a pretty killer 3C. Plus, the feels. :laugh:

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Oy. I was waiting for one of these media guys to say the S word.

Let the mayhem begin. Would certainly solve our faceoff problem. Few are better. Still a young and healthy player, produces at about the same level as always. Not sure if he'd fit Sullivan's system though. But hey, Chicago is bringing back Saad and probably Sharp (according to Bob), so if they're gettin' the band back together maybe we will too. It's all part of teh NHL conspiracy to feature a "best Hawks team vs. best Pens team" final and give the win to Sid. It's all rigged, *****es!

Tune in to NBCSN, because the NHL is great with media that way.

I'd be ok if Staal came back. I'm sure monies would have to be retained.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 3m3 minutes ago
Always subject to change, but indications are Jaromir Jagr very likely won't be back in Florida. Great hands, but need more speed in lineup.

I know he's not comin' to PIT but...

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 3m3 minutes ago
Always subject to change, but indications are Jaromir Jagr very likely won't be back in Florida. Great hands, but need more speed in lineup.

I know he's not comin' to PIT but...

Can he play center? :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah.

I don't think the idea is as ridiculous as it seemed a year or two ago. But Staal + cap retention would make a pretty killer 3C. Plus, the feels. :laugh:

Yeah unlike when it was suggested a few years ago, the Penguins actually need a 3C :laugh:

Staal's cap hit really isn't the problem for me, a lot of people are suggesting bringing in Duchene and he has the same cap hit. My concern is the term, not because I expect him to fall off during that contract but because he may cause issues with re-signing guys like Guentzel and Rust. If the Penguins could make the money work, both now and in the long run (keep all of the good young players), I'd say yes to bringing back Staal, even at $6 million. I honestly expect Kessel to be traded in a few years anyway, so Kessel out and Staal at 3C and the Penguins are pretty well set with the cap.

Yeah, if they can make the cap work this year, I'd bring in Staal pretty easily. When guys like Guentzel need a new contract, I'd just move Kessel out and let Sprong take his place.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, if you can throw something else in to get Carolina to hold on to a bit of Staal's contract, he'd be a pretty good fit.

I could even handle the 6m cap hit... for me it's the cost to acquire him that wouldn't make sense. Carolina paid a 1st (8th), Dumoulin and Sutter. He'd cost significantly more then what we'd want to pay.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
And if you get Carolina to hold onto even 750k, that becomes a lot more managable. Staal at 5.25 per is pretty reasonable. Staal at 4.5 would be killer. :laugh:

I don't think it's going to happen though.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Staalsy back to the Penguins?

Yes please.

Seriously doubt it would happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6