Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I could even handle the 6m cap hit... for me it's the cost to acquire him that wouldn't make sense. Carolina paid a 1st (8th), Dumoulin and Sutter. He'd cost significantly more then what we'd want to pay.

I don't know about that, honestly. But I also don't think we're trading for Staal. I was mostly just commenting that it doesn't seem nearly as dumb with this system and our situation as it did in the post-Staal years. :laugh:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, if you can throw something else in to get Carolina to hold on to a bit of Staal's contract, he'd be a pretty good fit.

Disagree. He doesn't really fit Sully's speed and pace system at all. It quick enough. I hope we don't take on his 5 year contract even if Carolina retains

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Since Buffalo just moved Foligno and acquired a defenseman, and they have Botteril who presumably would be willing to work with us on something, I was wondering....would a trade like this make sense for both teams?

Girgensons
McCabe

For

Pouliot
Wilson

Wilson had a solid postseason, and was a talented scorer in the AHL. Maybe Botterill still likes his upside. And maybe he's also willing to give Pouliot another chance; the Sabres have more leeway to insert unproven players in their lineup and ride through his down nights than we are.

McCabe started out solid but fell off as the year went on. Maybe they don't see as much potential, but we could use someone more established than Poo but still has upside. Girgensons is someone they may have soured on but could be an answer at 4c.

Buffalo would laugh.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
im guessing sprong or sheary + a centre prospect(Bluegers,Simon) would be the price for Staal 1.25 MIL retained.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Which makes no sense to me, because they gave up the rights to Gusev (a good prospect) and a pick for Vegas to take Garrison! Supposedly to keep them away from Koekkoek and Dotchin. Now, by getting Girardi they basically send Dotchin back to the AHL, unless they want to play with 4 RD.

Very strange move.

For sure. It's funny, I had Stars fans telling me that Hitchcock was ADAMANT in his presser when hired that Seguin and Spezza would BOTH play C this season. Hanzal comes in and boom. Hitch, I am certain, prefers Hanzal and Faksa as his top two centers.

I think both Seguin and Spezza could be on the trade block. They do not fit what Hitchcock wants to do at all.

They are very deep, but look for Spezza and Seguin to be on the block. Maybe Shore.

Well, there is plenty of incentive for the Bolts to keep Sergachev in junior hockey one more year...they get a 2nd round pick in 2018 from Mtl if Sergachev does NOT play 40 games next season.

I think they'll take the freebie.

They trade Tyler and instantly Fatty and Jim are fired and banished from Texas.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It would cost too much to get Staal and his contract is too large for too long. It would affect signing our young guys in the future potentially.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The big issue I see with trading for Staal is what he'd cost, because I can't see Carolina trading him for any reasonable price to the Penguins. Sheary would probably be the centerpiece, but they'd probably want 2 top-9 wingers and futures for Staal if I had to guess (if they want to contend soon). If it's Sheary, Hagelin and futures for Staal, the Penguins wing depth takes a pretty sizable hit because they're now down 2 top-9 forwards.

You guys would have to decide between Staal and Kessel.

That wouldn't be a decision we'd have to make until Guentzel needs a new contract, and I'd probably pick Staal considering who else the Penguins have on the wing.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Andy Strickland @andystrickland 2m2 minutes ago
Patrick Marleau's two year offer from #sjsharks is believed to be worth $4.5 million per #NHLFreeAgency

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You guys would have to decide between Staal and Kessel.

not really, esp if Carolina retains a Million per. We can Move Hags if we need to and further down the down, Maybe Maatta if we have a better Dcore by then.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Does someone have a stream for the TSN show? Youtube if possible?
Since it's not NHL I am allowed to ask right? If not then I am sorry.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
In fact, looking at it. If we assume Dumo/Schultz costs $9m with Schultz in a Staal trade.

Then we would have, with Staal and the above, $14m to re-sign Cole, Rowney, Rust, Kuhnhackl, Wilson, Reaves and Hornqvist. Four of those being RFA's. That's cutting it a bit fine.

Not to mention the cost of getting him.

HEAVY pass. If you'll pay that for Staal then you might as well look at Duchene instead.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Disagree. He doesn't really fit Sully's speed and pace system at all. It quick enough. I hope we don't take on his 5 year contract even if Carolina retains

Neither did Bonino. Staal is a consistent Selke candidate, great in the dot, was loved here and would like more rings!

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
not really, esp if Carolina retains a Million per. We can Move Hags if we need to and further down the down, Maybe Maatta if we have a better Dcore by then.

In 2 years you would, because we don't have room to sign our young wingers, then again, the Canes have lots of D and we don't have any centers to give them, so we are giving them young wingers and picks. We don't have the right pieces for Staal. We do for Duchene. Our cheap wingers are the reason we can afford it in the short term, but if we give our wingers away to get Staal that defeats the purpose.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Craig Custance @CraigCustance 1m1 minute ago
Nothing done with Kevin Shattenkirk yet. Weighing three good offers.

Tampa, NJ, BUF?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
There are cheaper alternatives out there instead of Staal, we'd be wise to look at those instead.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Craig Custance @CraigCustance 1m1 minute ago
Nothing done with Kevin Shattenkirk yet. Weighing three good offers.

Tampa, NJ, BUF?

I'm confused why the Rangers aren't big players for him, they just traded Stepan in what looked like an attempt to clear up cap space and I can't imagine Shattenkirk wouldn't sign with the Rangers if they showed interest. I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad