Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
In 2 years you would, because we don't have room to sign our young wingers, then again, the Canes have lots of D and we don't have any centers to give them, so we are giving them young wingers and picks. We don't have the right pieces for Staal. We do for Duchene. Our cheap wingers are the reason we can afford it in the short term, but if we give our wingers away to get Staal that defeats the purpose.

You could always trade Staal or others for capspace in the future. You worry about that later. It's not as if he couldn't be traded easily.

The cost though will be big though and they don't have a replacement C unless they are in on Duchene.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Aaron Ward @NHL_AaronWard 3m3 minutes ago
Unofficially hearing Alzner and Montreal Canadiens have agreed on a 5 year deal at roughly $4.5M per. #TSN

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You could always trade Staal or others for capspace in the future. You worry about that later. It's not as if he couldn't be traded easily.

The cost though will be big though and they don't have a replacement C unless they are in on Duchene.

Or you could also trade Kessel in the future for cap space, which makes sense considering what the Penguins strengths are in the organization.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
huh, Alzner is alot better than Smith,Russell, and Girardi, but gets around the same...i thought he was gonna get like 5.5-6 mil per over 5 years. but gets 4.5x5 thats actually a good contract for him.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Alzner signs with the Habs, 5 years at $4.5 million. That's actually not a bad contract for him, I thought it would be worse.

Yeah that's a good signing for a decent UFA. Won't provide much offense but very solid defensively

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I really hope Haula is on the market. He would be my ideal target in a trade for a 3C. Relatively young, great at faceoffs, good PKer, some wheels, nice contract, etc.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Craig Custanceâ€Â @CraigCustance 41s41 seconds ago
Michigan native Matt Hunwick has narrowed options down to two teams. Maple Leafs out at this point.

Might be someone JR's interested in^.

Chris Johnston @reporterchris 1m1 minute ago
Marcus Kruger is owed a $2M bonus from #blackhawks today. Expectation is he'll be moved to Vegas in long-rumoured deal after it is paid.

Michael Russo @Russostrib 16s17 seconds ago
#mnwild has called on defenseman Paul Postma on a 2-way.... Agents feel they can get him a 1-way

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Chris Johnston @reporterchris 1m1 minute ago
Marcus Kruger is owed a $2M bonus from #blackhawks today. Expectation is he'll be moved to Vegas in long-rumoured deal after it is paid.

That would only add to the 'Vegas is where it's at' scenario I mentioned before. Too many 3C's there for deals not to be available.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Staal has another 5 years at 6 mil.

You guys would have to decide between Staal and Kessel.

No it would have to be a salary retention situation. Giving up Kessel in any scenario with this FA class is a non-starter. If they wouldn't retain salary, no deal would be done, period. At least if I had anything to say about it. I don't think GMJimmy would trade for Staal without significant salary being retained.

If they retain about 1 to 1.5 mil a year, he's perfect.

1.5M would be a minimum IMO but I haven't checked the numbers that close lately. Somewhat depends on what we do with other players.

Andy Strickland @andystrickland 2m2 minutes ago
Patrick Marleau's two year offer from #sjsharks is believed to be worth $4.5 million per #NHLFreeAgency

I'd do that in a second if he'd come here. And before any potentially costly deal for Staal, Duchene, etc.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The issue with Vegas trading for Kruger is that they'll now have Shipyachov, Eakin, Haula, Karlsson, Kruger, Lindberg and Bellemare as centers on their team. Something has to give there, but I'm putting my money on Eakin if the Penguins are trading for a center from Vegas.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Alzner signs with the Habs, 5 years at $4.5 million. That's actually not a bad contract for him, I thought it would be worse.

I agree. Alzner is a good comparable for Dumoulin.

I think we might be able to get Dumoulin to take a little less than that on a shorter deal. Or the exact same deal.

If Dallas are getting Hanzal.... perhaps there's a play to be made for Radek Faksa?

That'd be very nice.

Thought of that. But considering the Hitchcock factor, I think it is far more likely that Seguin or Spezza goes before Faksa.

Hitchcock loves him some defense, y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille