Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
He wrote a French article, but it sounds more like his own speculation about who the Pens might get to fulfill JR's "getting tougher" thing rather than JR mentioning Glass.

I believe this is the part of the article?

Those with a better grasp of French than me can translate better, but my rudimentary understanding is Lavoie is basically just saying (in his opinion) Tanner Glass fits the mold of what the Pens are trying to do with regards to adding size/physicality to combat teams targeting their stars.

He also mentioned Francois Beauchemin as someone on D who could be a target.
Yup, that's the right article. The Glass passage sticks out because, as you said, he throws out that name like it's his opinion -- but in the very next item about Radulov, he attaches a citation to it, giving it some more weight.

...plusieurs informations circulent à l’effet que les Penguins ont un intérêt envers Alex Radulov

Also not fluent in French at all. I'm not sure if "informations" in this context is closer to "reports" or "sources" in English.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
No reason not to keep Maatta for at least one more season before trading him. Coming off a cup win where he had plenty of minutes... If he can work on his skating in the off season , get stronger, his best season should be next.

So if we decide to trade him after that it'd be more of a one for one instead of us having to add a first.

The amount that we would have to add to Maatta to get someone who is clearly better than Maatta would be cost prohibitive IMO. And if he takes a big leap forward next year, then we won't want to trade him anyway.

Olli is a good player and I believe next year he will show us whether he's really a #4 guy or a #2/3 guy. In either case, I'm a believer that Olli is part of the solution to our D corps and not part of the problem, and I want to keep him, whatever pairing he plays on. What my biggest priority is right now is extending Dumo and Cole, and finding a way to keep our top 5 Dmen together for the next 4-5 years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only way we're going to be able to bring in a top young Dman who is clearly superior is if we can find a way to get very creative with our assets -- such as signing Oshie and trading Hornqvist or Kessel. Short of that, we just don't have any blue chip assets besides Guentzel or Sprong (neither of whom any of us wants to trade) to bring in a legit #2 Dman.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
He wrote a French article, but it sounds more like his own speculation about who the Pens might get to fulfill JR's "getting tougher" thing rather than JR mentioning Glass.

I believe this is the part of the article?

Those with a better grasp of French than me can translate better, but my rudimentary understanding is Lavoie is basically just saying (in his opinion) Tanner Glass fits the mold of what the Pens are trying to do with regards to adding size/physicality to combat teams targeting their stars.

He also mentioned Francois Beauchemin as someone on D who could be a target.

Quick summary of the article.

- Trevor Daley, Chad Ruhwedel, Mark Streit and Ron Hainsey are gone.

- There's a possibility that Maatta gets traded if the return is good.

- After reading JR statements, he thinks the Pens should get Glass and Beauchemin. (To be clear, he didn't say that the Pens are interested)

- He's hearing that the Pens are interested in Radulov if the price is right. Malkin wants him in Pittsburgh too.

Last edited:

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I can see Beauchemin as a grizzled veteran D who can play tough and still be effective with limited ice time (not the 21:30 min he got in Colorado last season). On an inexpensive, 1-year contract he might be worth a try.

But Glass? The guy played most of last season in the AHL where he produced 15 points in 57 games. On what planet is he an option for any NHL team, let alone one built on speed and skill?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Beauchemin in Anaheim the first time was one of my favorite players in the NHL. I was hoping Simon Despres would be like that for us.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Quick summary of the article.

- Trevor Daley, Chad Ruhwedel, Mark Streit and Ron Hainsey are gone.

- There's a possibility that Maatta gets traded if the return is good.

- After reading JR statements, he thinks the Pens should get Glass and Beauchemin. (To be clear, he didn't say that the Pens are interested)

- He's hearing that the Pens are interested in Radulov if the price is right. Malkin wants him in Pittsburgh too.

Interesting takes. I have no idea why keeping Ruhwedel would be a problem though. Plus we're quite thin on D who can play at an NHL level.

I see where he's going with Glass and Beauchemin, but I want no part of either of those particular players.

I like Radulov but how in the world would we honestly fit him in?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I can see Beauchemin as a grizzled veteran D who can play tough and still be effective with limited ice time (not the 21:30 min he got in Colorado last season). On an inexpensive, 1-year contract he might be worth a try.

But Glass? The guy played most of last season in the AHL where he produced 15 points in 57 games. On what planet is he an option for any NHL team, let alone one built on speed and skill?

I agree with both points. If we're looking to acquire a gritty 4th liner, Reaves is the one I'd want.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Interesting takes. I have no idea why keeping Ruhwedel would be a problem though. Plus we're quite thin on D who can play at an NHL level.

I see where he's going with Glass and Beauchemin, but I want no part of either of those particular players.

I like Radulov but how in the world would we honestly fit him in?

Someone might have talked to Ruhwedel about contracts and knows we can't get close

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
What's close though I guess is my point. Are they $200,000 apart? As it stands I think it'd be tough to let him go unless he wants well over $1 million.

I could see a team giving him close to 2 mil. Teams like Detroit, Colorado have bad D.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I could see a team giving him close to 2 mil. Teams like Detroit, Colorado have bad D.

Hahaha maybe you're right. Chorney got like $825k, so I don't really see it. I could see him pricing himself out of here but not for anywhere near that. If he wanted to make a few extra hundred thousand from a team that wanted some random Cup mojo I wouldn't blame him though.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Hahaha maybe you're right. Chorney got like $825k, so I don't really see it. I could see him pricing himself out of here but not for anywhere near that. If he wanted to make a few extra hundred thousand from a team that wanted some random Cup mojo I wouldn't blame him though.

He's better than Chorney and he'll get a little bump for being an OFD who's right handed. His GA/60 was excellent. I think a 2 yr @ 1.8 mil is semi realistic for teams that need D.

It could also suggest we have a deal on the table for another D and Ruhwedel might have priced himself out as a #7D here.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
He's better than Chorney and he'll get a little bump for being an OFD who's right handed. His GA/60 was excellent. I think a 2 yr @ 1.8 mil is semi realistic for teams that need D.

It could also suggest we have a deal on the table for another D and Ruhwedel might have priced himself out as a #7D here.

We shall see. I don't see him breaking a million bucks personally. I don't even know if there's a consensus that he's an every day defenseman. He's a 6/7 to me, and a 5/6 if you are completely horrid on defense, and your defense will not see any significant improvement.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Beauchemin in Anaheim the first time was one of my favorite players in the NHL. I was hoping Simon Despres would be like that for us.

Agreed. However I don't think Beauch is that same player today. And I don't think limited minutes would make much of a difference.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Probably has more to do with the fact that Rutherford said the FAs were told to check out the market and to get back to him and they'd see where things were at. I think that applies moreso to Daley and Bonino, but I guess it could apply to Ruh as well.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
We shall see. I don't see him breaking a million bucks personally. I don't even know if there's a consensus that he's an every day defenseman. He's a 6/7 to me, and a 5/6 if you are completely horrid on defense, and your defense will not see any significant improvement.

Agreed. His GA was great, but it was still in a limited role with reduced icetime. What will be attractive to him will be the 2-3 year term on the 1 way deal more so then the extra 200-300k someone offers him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad