Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Method would be good playing with Letang, but no way I am giving up Maatta for Methot, Maatta is the most valuable piece in tha deal. Haula from what I can tell is Nick Spaling.

Not a fair comparison at all. Spaling is the ultimate safe, vanilla guy. Haula has a pretty dynamic speed element to his game.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Grabbed a former cap(fehr) for a cup last year and a flyer(Streit) this year. Who's next?

Also got a former ranger (Hagelin) last year, so the Pens have already gone through their primary and secondary rivals. If they move on down to tertiary, I suppose a former Senator or Blue Jacket might qualify. Maybe even Islander. Or else they could just circle back around to Capitals and start the cycle over again! :laugh:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Chatter here on the radio about Methot is how good is he without Karlsson.

He can skate really well for his size. So he's not some broken down Scuderi or Orpik. At the very least he can fit into how Sully likes to activate the D.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think I remember KIRK saying that, but I'd take Staples' statements a little more seriously :laugh:

That's understandable coming from someone who would think that a bank robber only robs from Chase and not all banks . . . or would think that a GM who is unable to take yes from an answer only pulled that stunt with one team. :help:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Quick summary of the article.

- Trevor Daley, Chad Ruhwedel, Mark Streit and Ron Hainsey are gone.

- There's a possibility that Maatta gets traded if the return is good.

- After reading JR statements, he thinks the Pens should get Glass and Beauchemin. (To be clear, he didn't say that the Pens are interested)

- He's hearing that the Pens are interested in Radulov if the price is right. Malkin wants him in Pittsburgh too.

My understanding is that one absolutely is true.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So apparently Methot is the LV pick from Ottawa. And apparently the plan is to flip him.

Would anyone trade Maatta and a slight plus for Methot and Haula? Give up age and term for a better D who addresses needs and to fill a hole?

Maatta, Pouliot for Methot, Schmidt? :naughty:

Sideline

May 23, 2004
It's a proposal, because there's no way GMGM would trade Methot and Schmidt (if picked) for Maatta and Pouliot. :laugh:

Didn't realize both had a couple years left under team control. For some reason thought they were both UFA at year end.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sounds like Vegas isn't taking Schmidt, based on the sheer amount of defensemen they have already taken in the expansion draft.

I just don't understand what Vegas is trying to do here. Everyone speculated that they'd have a bad forward group with a good defense and good goalie tandem, but now they're at a decent forward group with a bad defense and nothing in net beyond Fleury.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Still hoping Pens 1st is Vegas bound along with them claiming Fleury and we get Haula. Maybe we can add and get Schmidt too! Hagelin-Haula-Kessel (HHK) would be a good 3rd line for us for years. Hell put Rust at LW instead of Hagelin (RHK). Pens would be a much faster team, we are already built on speed but will go slower due to back to back finals and exhaustion. Need more speed!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Still hoping Pens 1st is Vegas bound along with them claiming Fleury and we get Haula. Maybe we can add and get Schmidt too! Hagelin-Haula-Kessel (HHK) would be a good 3rd line for us for years. Hell put Rust at LW instead of Hagelin (RHK). Pens would be a much faster team, we are already built on speed but will go slower due to back to back finals and exhaustion. Need more speed!

A defenseman works too.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I can't figure out what we'd trade Maatta for. Our need is at d, and he's a d.

I guess if someone like the Avs loved him and was willing to part with Duchene or a similarly young good forward like that for Maatta+ I could see JR being intrigued.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I can't figure out what we'd trade Maatta for. Our need is at d, and he's a d.

I guess if someone like the Avs loved him and was willing to part with Duchene or a similarly young good forward like that for Maatta+ I could see JR being intrigued.

Problem is, then JR goes from needing one defenseman to two. That said, Maatta for a forward is the only iteration I ever heard.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Problem is, then JR goes from needing one defenseman to two. That said, Maatta for a forward is the only iteration I ever heard.

This is where it gets Tricky. We need a Top 4 D and outside of Shatty the FA class on D is ugly. Yeah Smith/Stone/Kulikov might make decent reclamation projects, but the rest are not guys I want at any price. So moving Maatta for a Forward creates a larger hole.

Now if there is any truth to the 1st+ to LVK for Schmidt than moving Maatta and filling 1 hole isn't the toughest thing in the world, depending on who we get.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is where it gets Tricky. We need a Top 4 D and outside of Shatty the FA class on D is ugly. Yeah Smith/Stone/Kulikov might make decent reclamation projects, but the rest are not guys I want at any price. So moving Maatta for a Forward creates a larger hole.

Now if there is any truth to the 1st+ to LVK for Schmidt than moving Maatta and filling 1 hole isn't the toughest thing in the world, depending on who we get.

Gonna be absolutely nuts for the next 48-72 hours. :popcorn:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I'm so not alright with that. Maatta+ for an upgrade on D? Sure. Maatta for a comparable better fit on D? Sure. Maatta for a forward? No. Letang is ridiculously fragile and the D depth after the 5 NHL D they have is... Corrado and everyone's favourite mistake. They need to be bolstering the D and even if they add someone like Schmidt I still wouldn't be comfortable with it. ****ing fragile Letang and ****ing Pouliot.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There is a player who will hit the UFA market on July 1 who flies completely under the radar, and I believe this player could be a decent fit as our next 3C:

Yanni Gourde. I watched him play for TB this season when all their centers were injured, and he impressed me a lot. Former scoring champion in the 'Q', excellent AHL scorer. Played wing and center for TB, looked pretty solid at center. He is small, but gritty (not unlike Bonino). I think Gourde is a guy who can kill penalties, too.

I am also up for a minor deal with Montreal for Charles Hudon, but that could be more complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad