Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I still don't understand the anger over Sakic (other than from Avs fans, because he's a ****** GM).

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), Sakic had a basic template for what he wanted in return for Duchene. That doesn't mean he's obliged to take any deal that meets the template but doesn't have players that are particularly attractive to him.

He then changed what he wanted allegedly to Maatta, 1st, Sprong and Guentzel. Which is a bit different. Wasted JR's time at the deadline

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I still don't understand the anger over Sakic (other than from Avs fans, because he's a ****** GM).

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), Sakic had a basic template for what he wanted in return for Duchene. That doesn't mean he's obliged to take any deal that meets the template but doesn't have players that are particularly attractive to him.

Apparently JR matched exactly what sakic wanted, be he got cold feet. Like sakic listed out the players he wanted from the pens... and then didnt want them.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Failure leads to anger.
Anger leads to hate.
Hate leads to suffering.

Skill is a lie, there are only Hit totals
Through Hit totals, I gain Notoriety
Through Notoriety, I gain Contracts
Through Contracts, my Wallet is Swollen
The Staged Fights shall free me.

-Darth Glass

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Duchene only put up 37 points. Im not gonna go overboard for him. Anything with Sprong+Maatta is too much.
Maatta+ anything but sprong/sheary/Guentzel+1st.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is news to me. Is this new information?

He has the concept right, but the wrong team. Arthur Staple reported that's what the Avs did to the Islanders after the Islanders offered deHann, one of Dal Colle or Barzal and a 1st for Duchene. That was Sakic's ask, the Islanders matched it and Sakic refused to accept it.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
I'll gladly give up one of our cups if it means i don't have to watch Glass play in a Pens uniform again :laugh::sarcasm:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He has the concept right, but the wrong team. Arthur Staple reported that's what the Avs did to the Islanders after the Islanders offered deHann, one of Dal Colle or Barzal and a 1st for Duchene.

Snow's lucky then. Two years of Duchene isn't worth Barzal and a first, imo. Barzal's going to be pretty good, pretty soon.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He then changed what he wanted allegedly to Maatta, 1st, Sprong and Guentzel. Which is a bit different. Wasted JR's time at the deadline

Maybe Maatta wasn't a good enough main piece for Sakic to slavishly adhere to the template. I don't know. I just don't think there's a lot of ammo there for eviscerating the guy.

I mean, Evander Kane's racked up harassment charges and alienated himself from teammates and organizations in most of the places he's played, yet half the board still wants us to look into him. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Snow's lucky then. Two years of Duchene isn't worth Barzal and a first, imo. Barzal's going to be pretty good, pretty soon.

Yeah I don't disagree, but that just showed Sakic for what a fraud he was at the deadline. I don't want to trade with him at all due to that.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

The Pens probably got lucky a trade didn't go down as well. The Caps got Shattenkirk, Letang didn't come back, they had defense injuries during the run and if Guentzel was involved... :rant:

And if it was Sprong I'd be highly cautious of trading him.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
He has the concept right, but the wrong team. Arthur Staple reported that's what the Avs did to the Islanders after the Islanders offered deHann, one of Dal Colle or Barzal and a 1st for Duchene. That was Sakic's ask, the Islanders matched it and Sakic refused to accept it.

I remember people mentioning the same thing with the Pens :dunno:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Pens probably got lucky a trade didn't go down as well. The Caps got Shattenkirk, Letang didn't come back, they had defense injuries during the run and if Guentzel was involved... :rant:

And if it was Sprong I'd be highly cautious of trading him.

yep, knowing how things worked out I am thrilled that management believed Letang would be back for the playoffs until after the deadline.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

Is Barzal still looking like a top prospect after this year? Cause if so that's a pretty good package if they were set on trading him. Though in Sakic's shoes I would've started w Hamonic.

But I have always thought the Avs should move Landeskog first and see what that shakeup does to the team. If they decide to ultimately ship Duchene too, it's not like his value could slip much lower. And if they experience a turnaround with the pieces they receive, and MD has a bounceback year, they would have Mackinnon and Duchene as a one two punch up the middle

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think I remember KIRK saying that, but I'd take Staples' statements a little more seriously :laugh:

Yeah fair enough. Something like that has to burn bridges though right? Teams might be wary to deal with sakic now. He wasted alot of time for alot of times, when he wasnt even ready to trade Duchene.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I remember people mentioning the same thing with the Pens :dunno:

Yeah Kirk said Sakic renigged after we matched what he wanted too.

I'm not sure what I'm willing to trade as the 2nd/3rd pieces. Definitely not Guentzel. Sheary. Maybe Rust. I'd like to keep Sprong so we could move Kessel at some point and not be without a RHS for the PP if it came to that. And with Fleury gone, losing Jarry would hurt.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've seen Glass mentioned as a rumor a few times and I want to die a little just from thinking about him coming back.

I just do not understand why in the world they would want him here. He has no skill and he runs around and hits late. He does nothing for the play. The guy freaking sucks and has sucked for a long time.

I will throw an over-exaggerated tantrum if that guy is signed let alone plays hockey games for the Pens. :laugh:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd rather trade Sheary than Rust for Duchene, When Sheary is bad, he's bad. Rust is consistently good in the playoffs. When he's not scoring, he's still doing the little things right. Sheary is a mess if not scoring.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Alzner is a lot of things... but garbage isn't it. Do I think he'll be worth the contract he gets - basically anything over 4.5m and longer than 4/5 years? No. But that doesn't mean he's a bad D, because he isn't. He's a defensive minded D who can play 20 minutes a night. Think a younger better version of Hainsey.

I'd take him in a heart beat if we moved Maatta and could get him signed to something under 5m for 5 years or less.

After thinking a little more, Cole kinda makes Alzner an overspend because it gives us too many LHD's, if we get Schmidt. Dumo, Schmidt, Cole,......still making Maatta expendable (because I personally like Dumo over him.). We do however, need to address the right side, with Letang and Schultz. Because of that, I can understand the rumored interest in Tyson Barrie, or maybe Bogo?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd rather trade Sheary than Rust for Duchene, When Sheary is bad, he's bad. Rust is consistently good in the playoffs. When he's not scoring, he's still doing the little things right. Sheary is a mess if not scoring.

Gotta give to get. It'd open up a spot in the top 9 for Sprong at least.

Unless we get lucky and Snow calls Sakic's bluff and snags Galchenyuk instead and Sakic is left with us as the best suitor, it's probably going to take Sprong. And that'd be tough to do. Definitely would need to be all in on keeping Duchene. 2 years of him while watching Maatta and Sprong play for a decade would be a tough pill to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad