Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I just imagine us signing Radulov, Sully making him cry, and Radulov going to Russia leaving us high and dry. There is no player I trust less than him.

If we are trading guys, I'd have specific targets that make this team significantly better, are young, and have fresh legs. Duchene, Trouba, Landeskog - guys of that ilk. Guys that come onto this roster and you just see them fitting in without playing a single second in a Pens sweater. We are so far past stopgaps and 4th line one dimensional grinders. Let's go after real hockey players that play like Pittsburgh Penguins.

Cody Eakin being available is something of great interest to me. I'd love him here.

Based on what? Something that happened years ago when he was young(ish) and still a moron with a lot of money?

I watched about 80% of Habs games every year. He and Gallagher were easily and by far the hardest workers on the team.

If the Pens don't have to give up any assets in return and all it costs is money on a short term, the Pens become that much more dynamic on offense. He and Geno on the same line? Opponents will never touch the puck when those two are on.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Signing Alzner would be an awful move, guys like him are being phased out.

Agree totally. He's one of those guys that somehow fools every "expert" in the press into saying he has value. He's just a "meh" player who is going to be way overpaid.

Schmidt I'd take in a heartbeat. He was really impressive and fits Sully's system like a glove.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Agree totally. He's one of those guys that somehow fools every "expert" in the press into saying he has value. He's just a "meh" player who is going to be way overpaid.

Schmidt I'd take in a heartbeat. He was really impressive and fits Sully's system like a glove.

Seconded. Schmidt impressed me more than Alzner last year without a doubt.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So apparently Methot is the LV pick from Ottawa. And apparently the plan is to flip him.

Would anyone trade Maatta and a slight plus for Methot and Haula? Give up age and term for a better D who addresses needs and to fill a hole?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So apparently Methot is the LV pick from Ottawa. And apparently the plan is to flip him.

Would anyone trade Maatta and a slight plus for Methot and Haula? Give up age and term for a better D who addresses needs and to fill a hole?

Maatta, Pouliot, 1st

for

Haula+Methot?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Rather have Maatta than Methot.

Except it wouldn't just be Maatta/Methot. Methot has similar deficiencies that Maatta has, but plays a much nastier game - something we lack a lot of in our lineup. Haula's contract would offset the cap hits and Methot's contract is up in 2yrs.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sorry I'm not trading a 22 year old Dman for a 32 year old that's more expensive and signed for only 2 more years. If Methot was materially better than Maatta, I might do it, but he's not and Haula isn't anything that gets me all that excited.

I'd rather overpay Bonino than do that.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Sorry I'm not trading a 22 year old Dman for a 32 year old that's more expensive and signed for only 2 more years. If Methot was materially better than Maatta, I might do it, but he's not and Haula isn't anything that gets me all that excited.

Yeah, do people even realize Methot is that old?

That's the kind of deal that every one of us would have crucified our GM over, but now it's being suggested like it's a good idea?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yes, he was awful at wing and we had better centers even if he looked good there one game. He was viewed as expendable most of the year. I know it seems like forever ago but that happened. Even if he would've been a serviceable center, I don't want to pay $2 million for a 4C anyways so I'm not going to sweat it too much and again, it was to clear room to hopefully make a larger deal. We also had much cheaper options that performed well up here.

Fehr played at a 17-point pace last season and may not even play an NHL game next season. I'm glad he's gone.

Fehr started 53% of the time in the D zone last year in total, which is nuts, and we scored 53% of the goals when he was on the ice. Our opponents goals for per 60 was 2.2, but 1.7 against Fehr.

He was an effective checking center, with some offensive touch, that's it. He's not a good long term 3C, but he would be fine as a depth C for another year. I really don't see that much difference between Bonino and Fehr's performance at center for us, in production or ability to check, but a lot of posters are willing to pay Bonino 4M + term.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't want anything to do with Methot.

Pens need def that can move the puck.

We just got done watching the playoffs when we watched the pens stuck in its own end way to often because the def couldn't make a pass or carry the puck out of its own end.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Jesus, you're right. I had it in my head that he was 26/27. :laugh:

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Fehr started 53% of the time in the D zone last year in total, which is nuts, and we scored 53% of the goals when he was on the ice. Our opponents goals for per 60 was 2.2, but 1.7 against Fehr.

He was an effective checking center, with some offensive touch, that's it. He's not a good long term 3C, but he would be fine as a depth C for another year. I really don't see that much difference between Bonino and Fehr's performance at center for us, in production or ability to check, but a lot of posters are willing to pay Bonino 4M + term.

That's because stats like that don't show you. Bonino is clearly better equipped for the role he plays than Fehr was. Maybe they put up similar offensive numbers in the same role, but Fehr is not Bonino in any other aspect.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I also heard somewhere that he's missing a finger:amazed:

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
No interest in Haula or Methot

Why not? He'd be a very good, cost-controlled replacement for Bonino. He brings a ton of speed as well, which could make him a good fit for Kessel. PKs. Offense is still blooming and he'd break out with better linemates/icetime IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille