Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Guys WTF... Glass is not coming back. In all probability nobody in this front office gives two ***** about that guy as a hockey player. He adds nothing to this team (any team, really). Literally he beats out no one for a spot. Put it out of your heads, it's a bogus rumor. Most likely meant to troll us. Sadly it's working.

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012
I'd rather have Sestito than Glass.... he can go up and down to WBS and when he's in the lineup, he knows his role....

Glass would try to be an actual hockey player on the 4th line.... and he's a terrible hockey player

if you cant get a guy who can somewhat play, I'd rather just use Sestito in that role and call him up when they feel needed

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Reaves is Glass

Even down to having had a career year last year and people thinking he will be an offensive threat... he is a grinder.. nothing more

That's a first i have ever heard someone call him Glass. Reaves is better then Glass, everyone is.

I'd give Vegas our 1st for Haula+Schmidt.

It would end up being Fleury, 1st for Schmidt, Haula then. After that i'd look to part ways with 2018 1st+Maatta for someone like Dumba if that gets him. Dumba next to Letang and Schmidt next to Cole and Dumo next to Schultz.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Dumba is a righty and doesn't really fit with our D if we acquire Schmidt. But I do agree with adding assets to Maatta to find an upgrade at LD.

Dumo/upgrade-Letang
Dumo/upgrade-Schultz
Cole-Schmidt

In a scenario where we're acquiring Haula and Schmidt and trading Maatta with conservative RFA projections, we'll be able to fit a D making up to $5m.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It would end up being Fleury, 1st for Schmidt, Haula then. After that i'd look to part ways with 2018 1st+Maatta for someone like Dumba if that gets him. Dumba next to Letang and Schmidt next to Cole and Dumo next to Schultz.

Doubt it does. Not without Maatta hitting his peak again next season... at which point, why trade him?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
No reason not to keep Maatta for at least one more season before trading him. Coming off a cup win where he had plenty of minutes... If he can work on his skating in the off season , get stronger, his best season should be next.

So if we decide to trade him after that it'd be more of a one for one instead of us having to add a first.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd give Vegas our 1st for Haula+Schmidt.

Considering their ages (26), I'd give up more than that. The only tricky part is their next contract will be their last RFA contracts, so as both are up for new deals, I'd be signing them to the longest ones possible.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I like the idea of getting schmidt, but I am worried that he is another defender who isn't able to win battles in front of the goalie or in the corners. (and with the frequency that Murray got run over in the playoffs I'd like someone whose mobile AND physical) Schmidt is a decent skater, he can carry the puck, and pass well so I can definitely see the allure. (also trolling the caps is always great)

But, Jack Johnson could be had.

I know he has a bad rep, and rightfully so given his play early in his career, but Johnson rebuilt his game last season and, while he isn't an ideal first pairing defender, he was a reliable second pairing guy last year. He is playing a simple, responsible game under torts while still being a great skater and being physical and hard to play against both in front of the goal and in the corners.

I actually think he would be a good guy to play with Maatta, his speed could help cover those times that Maatta gets beat or caught out of position like Letang used to do.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
That's a first i have ever heard someone call him Glass. Reaves is better then Glass, everyone is.

Dumba is a RHD, and Schmidt is a LHD. The pair of them helps to give us 3 RHD's and 3 LHD's; when not including Maatta.

Not sure if I'd rather not try to pry Barrie out of Colorado over Dumba. Still, both are an upgrade.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I promised not to complain about any moves this organization makes if we won back-to-back Cups, so I'll just leave it to the rest of the board to do the complaining if JR signs Tanner Glass. :laugh:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Seems I read the same thing two years ago regarding an Edmonton D-man.
That Edmonton d-man didn't have a god awful contract.

That's also a silly way to do business. "Well, that one guy turned out to be good, so I guess they all automatically will."

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Seems I read the same thing two years ago regarding an Edmonton D-man.

To be fair i'll support clefty here and say he was not against the Schultz trade. I was literally just reading the Pens acquire Schultz thread just a little bit ago ironically.

Just throwing that out there. :laugh:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I promised not to complain about any moves this organization makes if we won back-to-back Cups, so I'll just leave it to the rest of the board to do the complaining if JR signs Tanner Glass. :laugh:

That is literally one of the very few moves that would set us all off. That thread would suck. Speed, skill, depth. Not Glass. I thought it was insane the rags played him in the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That is literally one of the very few moves that would set us all off. That thread would suck. Speed, skill, depth. Not Glass. I thought it was insane the rags played him in the playoffs.

Hopefully it's just JR getting senile in his old age and he really means he's targeting either Tanner Pearson or Cody Glass.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
To be fair i'll support clefty here and say he was not against the Schultz trade. I was literally just reading the Pens acquire Schultz thread just a little bit ago ironically.

Just throwing that out there. :laugh:

Didn't say he was, but, many others were. I'm not saying Barrie is the answer defensively. However, he is a RHD, with a cannon of a shot.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I like the idea of getting schmidt, but I am worried that he is another defender who isn't able to win battles in front of the goalie or in the corners. (and with the frequency that Murray got run over in the playoffs I'd like someone whose mobile AND physical) Schmidt is a decent skater, he can carry the puck, and pass well so I can definitely see the allure. (also trolling the caps is always great)

But, Jack Johnson could be had.

Back to back cups without a D like that... we seem to be doing okay. ;)

JJ would be a great pickup - but likely for only 1 year. Remember this guy is basically bankrupt. He will be a 31 yr old UFA next summer and will basically be starting over from scratch - and he still needs to give away some of his earnings. This will not be someone that we can afford to re-sign, as there's almost no chance that he can afford to take any sort of discount. Which means he's basically a rental, and one thing we cannot afford to do is to pony up for a rental that we know we will almost certainly not be able to re-sign.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hopefully it's just JR getting senile in his old age and he really means he's targeting either Tanner Pearson or Cody Glass.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Lavoie who brought that rumor out? He's not some hack. I never actually read the article or tweet so I am not sure.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Lavoie who brought that rumor out? He's not some hack. I never actually read the article or tweet so I am not sure.

He wrote a French article, but it sounds more like his own speculation about who the Pens might get to fulfill JR's "getting tougher" thing rather than JR mentioning Glass.

I believe this is the part of the article?

Les équipes qui affrontent les Penguins aiment brasser les petits attaquants de l’équipe et ceci dérange la direction de la formation de Pittsburgh.

Tanner Glass pourrait parfaitement se mouler au système de jeu des Penguins et il n’est pas impossible que de plus gros joueurs se greffent via une ou des transactions.

Those with a better grasp of French than me can translate better, but my rudimentary understanding is Lavoie is basically just saying (in his opinion) Tanner Glass fits the mold of what the Pens are trying to do with regards to adding size/physicality to combat teams targeting their stars.

He also mentioned Francois Beauchemin as someone on D who could be a target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad