2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Was listening to the Power Play today. Interesting take by POS that Hoffman wasn't liked in the locker room. Seems to also say that Karlsson wasn't either though.
Hoffman has said to have been a "me" guy. Or comes across that way. Never heard anything about EK.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Trotz finalizing deal with Islanders. I suspect they'll have it ready so he is there tomorrow in Dallas.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I was thinking lucic for hjalmarsson might be feasible.

Would an analytics wizard take on Lucic? He looks horrible these last 2 years by almost every measure, except a nice run of PP scoring in 16/17. Think we might be reduced to the super old school GM's like Bergevin, Benning, Talon and the like.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Well, it seems like Dorian and Bergevin are battling hard this summer for the Milbury award. :naughty:
I just hope Chia doesn't spoil the party..

It should be getting increasingly harder to botch trades once the best assets are already traded. I think we are at about trade 3.

upload_2018-6-21_21-18-25.png

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm just not buying this lack of character thing from Hamilton at all.

He played with tons of heart in Niagara.

Chiarelli wanted to trade for him, but Boston asked too much from us because they don't like Chia. Peter knew Dougie very well and we all know how much he values character.

Reactions: Night Witch

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I'm just not buying this lack of character thing from Hamilton at all.

He played with tons of heart in Niagara.

Chiarelli wanted to trade for him, but Boston asked too much from us because they don't like Chia. Peter knew Dougie very well and we all know how much he values character.

It's typical post-trade character assassination BS spin so that the team trading the best player can look better. TBF, it doesn't always come from the team but a city's media and fans are obsessed with "winning" every trade. Happens everytime a marquee player is traded (ie. Subban, Hall, Seguin, Johansen, etc)

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's typical post-trade character assassination BS spin so that the team trading the best player can look better. TBF, it doesn't always come from the team but a city's media and fans are obsessed with "winning" every trade. Happens everytime a marquee player is traded (ie. Subban, Hall, Seguin, Johansen, etc)
Explain why a guy like Dougie Hamilton is always on the block? It makes little to no sense.

I don't think he's a bad guy, he's just a guy that doesn't fit in a locker room.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Explain why a guy like Dougie Hamilton is always on the block? It makes little to no sense.

I don't think he's a bad guy, he's just a guy that doesn't fit in a locker room.

"Always"? It's only been twice. First time Doug wanted out of Boston because they weren't gonna pay him and the team was floundering at the time. This time...apparently he's a cancer for wanting to go to museums?

The guy has warts in his game for sure; Hamilton brings a lot of offense but got exposed defensively last year. So did Hamonic/Brodie. For a guy that flames fans were trumpeting as top pairing guy that they'd only trade for Draisatl, this is a marked reversal on the player's value.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
"Always"? It's only been twice. First time Doug wanted out of Boston because they weren't gonna pay him and the team was floundering at the time. This time...apparently he's a cancer for wanting to go to museums?

The guy has warts in his game for sure; Hamilton brings a lot of offense but got exposed defensively last year. So did Hamonic/Brodie. For a guy that flames fans were trumpeting as top pairing guy that they'd only trade for Draisatl, this is a marked reversal on the player's value.

There was a question of his character and fit with culture when he was traded from Boston too by Sweeney/Neely. Pretty much the exact same thing as when Seguin was traded, they leaked that there were off-ice issues and ran a little smear campaign. I think Boston media even commented on Hamilton again after this trade, saying that Hamilton skipped a team outing with the Bruins too.

This is the 2nd smear campaign against him in Dougies career. Like you said, it's working again too. Many flames fans have changed from Dougie being an untouchable elite top pair offensive D, to being glad he's gone cause he was a bad apple.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
There was a question of his character and fit with culture when he was traded from Boston too by Sweeney/Neely. Pretty much the exact same thing as when Seguin was traded, they leaked that there were off-ice issues and ran a little smear campaign. I think Boston media even commented on Hamilton again after this trade, saying that Hamilton skipped a team outing with the Bruins too.

This is the 2nd smear campaign against him in Dougies career.

Fair enough, but again it's coming from the team that traded the best player in the deal. Maybe there's a bit of bias in that message.

Either way, I don't agree with trading away talent for intangible reasons like "locker room cancer" or "wasn't a team guy". I don't even like it if it's for cap reasons. At the end of the day, when you trade away the best talent continually, you lose. We've seen that here with the departure of Hall and Eberle.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Fair enough, but again it's coming from the team that traded the best player in the deal. Maybe there's a bit of bias in that message.

Either way, I don't agree with trading away talent for intangible reasons like "locker room cancer" or "wasn't a team guy". I don't even like it if it's for cap reasons. At the end of the day, when you trade away the best talent continually, you lose. We've seen that here with the departure of Hall and Eberle.

Definitely agree, there is bias involved and there is a clear attempt to temper any anger from fans when they clearly know they gave the best player up.

Maybe being a crazy party nut that is snorting lines in public could be a reason to move on from a guy. But in this case, it seems to be that Hamilton doesn't party hard enough? :) I certainly hope that the flames have concluded that not enough partying was the cause of their failed season last year.

Reactions: nightfighter

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Read today it had little to do with chemistry but it was the Flames wanted to alter their top pair back to Brodie and Giordano and have Hamilton with Hamonic on the 2nd pair including the 2nd pair PP. That did not sit well with Hamilton and thus the trade was made. He was an unhappy camper with where his usage and ice time was about to go. Ferland was up for a massive raise so the Canes traded their unhappy campers with one Flames unhappy camper and a player the Flames I think seriously undervalued, along with Fox who they had no hope of signing who McKenzie said was the key to the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln