2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Flames are butter soft

but Reaves shouldn't be the answer...dude plays like 7 mins a night

Depends on the team. On Vegas Reaves was playing almost 10 minutes a game.
In St Louis it was between 8 and 9 minutes.
In Pittsburgh it was closer to 7 minutes.

That said i agree with the take that Reaves hasnt got much in the way of hockey sense.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Imagine if they'd got something for Tavares. Man, they could've had an additional pick in the top 10 this year and even next year, plus some intriguing young prospects.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I am going to cheer Islanders for all games which are not against Oilers. Their fans didn’t deserve this ****! Too bad to lose their best player but lose it this way. It is like back stabbing. You can feel sympathy at the bottom but not on the top, I guess.
don't look now, but apparently the Leafs are not done interacting with the Isles. Calvin De Haan rumored to the Leafs.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I am going to cheer Islanders for all games which are not against Oilers. Their fans didn’t deserve this ****! Too bad to lose their best player but lose it this way. It is like back stabbing. You can feel sympathy at the bottom but not on the top, I guess.
Yup. I read through some of the Tavares thread on the Isles board .... it was really sad.
Should have known there's no loyalty in sports anymore and traded him for whatever they could get at the deadline.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I enjoy watching them suffer and be upset with how some of their fans act.

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017
Maybe it's just the paranoia in me but I feel the Toronto Leafs PR/Media team is really trying to push a lot of the accomplishment for signing Tavares onto the shoulders of Dubas as an effort to give a young rookie GM more legitimacy, when really it sounded like Tavares preferred destination was TO all along. How hard is it to offer someone who wants to play for you 11 mil/year for 7 years?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Apparently Tavares narrowed his list down to Toronto and NY Isles while he was flying back from the meetings in LA but didn't bother telling the four other teams they were out. He also made up his mind to go to the Leafs on Saturday but didn't tell the Islanders until the next morning. He handled this as poorly as possible.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Apparently Tavares narrowed his list down to Toronto and NY Isles while he was flying back from the meetings in LA but didn't bother telling the four other teams they were out. He also made up his mind to go to the Leafs on Saturday but didn't tell the Islanders until the next morning. He handled this as poorly as possible.
Isn't that on his agent? That and why aren't you following up with his agent?

Not really that hard to call and ask "are we in the running, if not we will go elsewhere".

I have no idea who his agent is, but it's probably one of the high profile ones. One that you'd probably be talking to about someone already on your team or about another UFA>

People are just so f***ing whinny nowadays. You want an answer grow the f*** up and ask for clarification. Anyone that works in a deadline type of world knows to follow up as deadline's approach.

Media is just pissed because they couldn't break the story a day sooner

Reactions: Curt

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

What difference does it make at that point? It's not like the Islanders could salvage some trade value if he told them on Saturday and it's not like teams like SJ, LA etc weren't negotiating with other free agents in the case where JT went elsewhere.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Many close to the situation including Islander players (reading the Islander local sports reporters) are pretty pissed at Tavares over how he handled this, in particular given that he is "fulfilling his life long dream" but requested not to be traded to the owners in December when they revealed the new arena plans. He knew he was going to bolt to Toronto if the deal was right, and should have let the Islanders know they were in tough so they could trade his rights last summer.

Bad on the Islanders for the blind trust though, they should have given him a take it or leave it offer and moved him on a year ago like the Senators are doing with Karlsson (despite the offer to Karlsson as being mere optics so they could tell their fan base he turned down a large offer).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Many close to the situation including Islander players (reading the Islander local sports reporters) are pretty pissed at Tavares over how he handled this, in particular given that he is "fulfilling his life long dream" but requested not to be traded to the owners in December when they revealed the new arena plans. He knew he was going to bolt to Toronto if the deal was right, and should have let the Islanders know they were in tough so they could trade his rights last summer.

Bad on the Islanders for the blind trust though, they should have given him a take it or leave it offer and moved him on a year ago like the Senators are doing with Karlsson (despite the offer to Karlsson as being mere optics so they could tell their fan base he turned down a large offer).
When you have an asset such as Tavares you sign him or you trade him when you have the chance.

There is a reason Doughty and OEL were locked up when they were. You want to play Russian Roulette with your franchise player then that's on you.

Like Oxo said on the main boards, maybe JT never planned on moving up until recently. Letting your UFA get to the stage where he can talk to any team is never a good thing. You are now allowing 30 teams to pitch to your player. Who knows what these other teams can say to change a player's mind.

Sounded like he really liked Snow on a personal level. Maybe after meeting Lou he wasn't as sold on the Isles as he once was and that was in the back of his mind all along.

That and the team did significantly worse this year, might've just got sick of the blind promise of the team will be better next year.

Reactions: Night Witch

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

He will fit right in.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
When you have an asset such as Tavares you sign him or you trade him when you have the chance.

There is a reason Doughty and OEL were locked up when they were. You want to play Russian Roulette with your franchise player then that's on you.

Like Oxo said on the main boards, maybe JT never planned on moving up until recently. Letting your UFA get to the stage where he can talk to any team is never a good thing. You are now allowing 30 teams to pitch to your player. Who knows what these other teams can say to change a player's mind.

Sounded like he really liked Snow on a personal level. Maybe after meeting Lou he wasn't as sold on the Isles as he once was and that was in the back of his mind all along.

That and the team did significantly worse this year, might've just got sick of the blind promise of the team will be better next year.

Like I also said on the mains I think he did make a mistake with his tweet about playing for the Leafs being his childhood dream.

It lets the NYI fans run with a narrative that leaving was what he wanted all along despite not actually being hard evidence of that at all.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

Yeah, next time someone cries about teams not being loyal to players, I'll point to this and tell them that players have never given them any reason to be loyal to them.

Reactions: Night Witch

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Like I also said on the mains I think he did make a mistake with his tweet about playing for the Leafs being his childhood dream.

It lets the NYI fans run with a narrative that leaving was what he wanted all along despite not actually being hard evidence of that at all.
Usually when a player leaves you'll see at least a few former teammates wish him well publicly. I haven't really looked yet but I don't believe that has been the case so far. Barzal unfollowed him on Twitter after Tavares' odd comment at the press conference. Arthur Staple said one current Islanders player texted that he doesn't blame the fans for burning #91 jerseys. I think there's some bad blood or feelings of betrayal with some of the players over how Tavares acted.

Not notifying other teams if they are out is just a shitty thing to do. Really no reason not to if you have no plans of going there.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Matt Martin is going to beat the shit out of Tavares April 1st in Long Island and f*** him up royally for the playoffs.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I got a kick out of the fact that the only clip in that package that's still in black and white is the Maple Leafs one.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

I got a kick out of the fact that the only clip in that package that's still in black and white is the Maple Leafs one.

That's the first time I realized that when Selanne threw his glove in the air to celebrate his record breaking goal, it was Dallas Eakins who sat there to catch it.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Meh, what other choice did they have? Tampa chose not to trade Stamkos in the end and they were still able to sign him 2 days away from hitting free agency. I don't blame Isles for trying to do the same. With these really big names you really have to take your chances. If you trade them you know they're 100% gone. Isles still had a good amount of hope he'd sign there.

So I completely disagree with you. If it's your franchise guy you just have to do everything you can to sign him, even if it means you'll lose out and get nothing for him in the end. If it were a player like Ryan O'Reilly (just as an example) then I'd agree with you and say that you definitely should trade if you can't get the player signed. But franchise guys are different, you don't trade them unless they make absolutely clear that they are not going to re-sign, and from what I read that wasn't the case at all with Tavares.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Meh, what other choice did they have? Tampa chose not to trade Stamkos in the end and they were still able to sign him 2 days away from hitting free agency. I don't blame Isles for trying to do the same. With these really big names you really have to take your chances. If you trade them you know they're 100% gone. Isles still had a good amount of hope he'd sign there.

So I completely disagree with you. If it's your franchise guy you just have to do everything you can to sign him, even if it means you'll lose out and get nothing for him in the end. If it were a player like Ryan O'Reilly (just as an example) then I'd agree with you and say that you definitely should trade if you can't get the player signed. But franchise guys are different, you don't trade them unless they make absolutely clear that they are not going to re-sign, and from what I read that wasn't the case at all with Tavares.
What choice? They trade them is what choice they have. When you are a non-playoff team going into the year you are really risking a lot.

If the guy doesn't sign the summer before that's a massive red flag. Right there he's telling you he's not completely sold on coming back.

Take the chance if you want, but then you better build a solid case for being able to convince that guy to stay. Having a shitty defense and horrible goaltending doesn't help.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
The Islanders are going to be pretty bad for a few years.

Poor Eberle.

Oh wait, he only has a year left on his contract. I would imagine he would get out of Dodge.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
The Islanders are going to be pretty bad for a few years.

Poor Eberle.

Oh wait, he only has a year left on his contract. I would imagine he would get out of Dodge.

Eberle's next contract will be interesting. If we judge by Neal's and JVR's contracts this summer, Eberle could be looking at Draisatl money in UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->