2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
"Always"? It's only been twice. First time Doug wanted out of Boston because they weren't gonna pay him and the team was floundering at the time. This time...apparently he's a cancer for wanting to go to museums?

The guy has warts in his game for sure; Hamilton brings a lot of offense but got exposed defensively last year. So did Hamonic/Brodie. For a guy that flames fans were trumpeting as top pairing guy that they'd only trade for Draisatl, this is a marked reversal on the player's value.
There has been talk of him for much of the year. A guy with his stat line and skillset shouldn't be talked about at all.
Definitely agree, there is bias involved and there is a clear attempt to temper any anger from fans when they clearly know they gave the best player up.

Maybe being a crazy party nut that is snorting lines in public could be a reason to move on from a guy. But in this case, it seems to be that Hamilton doesn't party hard enough? :) I certainly hope that the flames have concluded that not enough partying was the cause of their failed season last year.
The problem was he didn't do anything with the team. Skipped out on community events, didn't go to team gatherings. No you don't have to spend all your time with the team, but when you never go that becomes a problem.

Like I said earlier he's not a bad apple. Just a loner

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I love the Hamilton trade as an Oiler fan for a few reasons

1) I think that several Canes players (like Arizona and Florida players) benefit from the J-Bo effect. Meaning they play for obscure teams no one watches or dislikes so get massively overrated. This effect impacted players like Booth, Wiess, J0Bo, Gordon, Boedker, Korpikoski, Stone, Smith etc in the past. All those players went on to not be as good on the new teams. I have held for a couple years now that Lindholm will be a Gagner level player. Hes a fine player but his upside is in question. Always thought he was overrated. Hanifin as well I think will be a good D, but I see him being a Petry level D. He received significant sheltering in Carolina and noone really questioned him because noone watches Carolina. Then you add in Ferland who has been a fine top 6 PWF and Adam Fox who Calgary fans are pumping up as the next Karlsson and this becomes extremely risky for Calgary. I think that both Canes players will end up as fine, but not amazing top 2 line players

2) On the other hand, Hamilton has put up eye popping stats and looks to be a true #1 D with the potential still to be one of the best offensive D in the league. Ive been saying for a while now that Hamilton is doing amazing things in Calgary. He has been a game changer for 2 years now. Just massive for us he is no longer in our division

Reactions: Aerchon and oobga

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know that Ferland is going to be that great to be honest. He fits in CGY as they had a nice spot for him to play, but does Carolina have that?

However, Lindholm getting 4-5mil isn't a win for CGY and I like that. I do like Hanafin though, but how far is away from making Hamilton impact?

CGY might be better long-term, but that's still TBD.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I love the Hamilton trade as an Oiler fan for a few reasons

1) I think that several Canes players (like Arizona and Florida players) benefit from the J-Bo effect. Meaning they play for obscure teams no one watches or dislikes so get massively overrated. This effect impacted players like Booth, Wiess, J0Bo, Gordon, Boedker, Korpikoski, Stone, Smith etc in the past. All those players went on to not be as good on the new teams. I have held for a couple years now that Lindholm will be a Gagner level player. Hes a fine player but his upside is in question. Always thought he was overrated. Hanifin as well I think will be a good D, but I see him being a Petry level D. He received significant sheltering in Carolina and noone really questioned him because noone watches Carolina. Then you add in Ferland who has been a fine top 6 PWF and Adam Fox who Calgary fans are pumping up as the next Karlsson and this becomes extremely risky for Calgary. I think that both Canes players will end up as fine, but not amazing top 2 line players

2) On the other hand, Hamilton has put up eye popping stats and looks to be a true #1 D with the potential still to be one of the best offensive D in the league. Ive been saying for a while now that Hamilton is doing amazing things in Calgary. He has been a game changer for 2 years now. Just massive for us he is no longer in our division

I love that the Flames right side now is all on Giordano at 35 years old having to shelter Brodie on his right, who has been trending down for years. And Hamonic who was never that good and has been getting worse every year for multiple years in a row.

Production forecast based on the last 3 years for the key pieces of the trade

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I love that the Flames right side now is all on Giordano at 35 years old having to shelter Brodie on his right, who has been trending down for years. And Hamonic who was never that good and has been getting worse every year for multiple years in a row.

Not impressed with Hanifin's goals last year either ... a lot of them were tap ins around the net and really weak wristers.

Hamilton is a much better talent IMO, Hanifin has a mediocre shot. Has a nice little slap fake-pass though but that's about it.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
i kinda think Lucic + was going for Faulk or Skinner and Flames cockblocked us. yet again.

Honestly I think that move might have helped the Oil. Faulk is now a completely fluid piece for them, same as Skinner.

They still seem like a decent landing spot for Lucic, as CAR will care more about the 4.5 mil actual cost per year vs. the 6 mil cap it. The question is now much do they try to squeeze EDM to get more.

Would you do something like Lucic and the 2019 first for Skinner/Faulk or even someone like Rask, whom it seems like they've soured on?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Its the best trade for us. Basically banking it all on Gio. If Hanifin doesnt pan out (and its not a given), this will blow up in their face pretty hard. Hanifin is a very solid D, but not like hes blown off the doors early in his career like Provorov/Jones/Werenski or even Hamilton did at a young age

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Its the best trade for us. Basically banking it all on Gio. If Hanifin doesnt pan out (and its not a given), this will blow up in their face pretty hard. Hanifin is a very solid D, but not like hes blown off the doors early in his career like Provorov/Jones/Werenski or even Hamilton did at a young age

I would be shocked if Hanifin is mature enough to carry around a boat anchor like Hamonic at this point of his career. That 2nd pair definitely has potential to be an absolute disaster.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
As a player he probably deserves it.

His prime was before I was born, so I don’t really know how good Lowe truly was. I know the reputation as a tough as nails stay at home dman, but was he a truly elite dman?

I don’t think he ever got any serious consideration for a Norris trophy. How would you stack him up against say... Adam Foote or darian Hatcher in their primes?

I don’t think I’d have either of those guys as hall of fame candidates.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
His prime was before I was born, so I don’t really know how good Lowe truly was. I know the reputation as a tough as nails stay at home dman, but was he a truly elite dman?

I don’t think he ever got any serious consideration for a Norris trophy. How would you stack him up against say... Adam Foote or darian Hatcher in their primes?

I don’t think I’d have either of those guys as hall of fame candidates.
My understanding is he's on a Rod Langway level of defensive defenseman, but I won't say I'm expert. He was a key and significant member of those 6 Stanley Cups as well, for that that's worth (which is apparently a lot)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My understanding is he's on a Rod Langway level of defensive defenseman, but I won't say I'm expert. He was a key and significant member of those 6 Stanley Cups as well, for that that's worth (which is apparently a lot)
Rod Langway... even further before my time!

But just looking at career achievements, Langway was a 2xNorris winner. I'm not sure Lowe was ever in serious contention for winning the Norris. Then again, maybe thats because he perpetually played on a team that featured Coffey

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

keep in mind Elias Lindholm was a big part of the deal. Although I'm not overly high on him he may have better chemistry in Calgary.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Rod Langway... even further before my time!

But just looking at career achievements, Langway was a 2xNorris winner. I'm not sure Lowe was ever in serious contention for winning the Norris. Then again, maybe thats because he perpetually played on a team that featured Coffey
And a time that Feature Ray Bourque and others of that ilk. Again, just from what I understand, if you look at overall contribution to the team's he help win Cups (especially) he was a integral part and was a high end player despite the lack of awards. He should deserve to go in, but it is probably a veteran's committee thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad