2016 NHL Entry Draft, part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's neat. I'm basing it off of what I've been told in the past, but it makes sense if the Sens are as high on Jost and Fabbro as rumoured.

Basically, a scout tries to see someone they like twice, just to reaffirm their notes and to even out a good or bad game.

Murray/Dorion are pretty insistent on our Scouts seeing each others guys, so that could also be the case there.

Oh I know how it works for the most part.

Mann was at at least 4-5 Sea Dog games last year, including playoffs

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
I was at 2 games this November in Penticton where the place was packed with scouts both nights.

Considering all 3 of Jost/Fabbro/Cholowski are/were realistic picks with our first 2 selections, I am quite confident Fargher/Lowes saw A LOT of BCHL games this year.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ewen+scouts+coming+droves+bchl+prospects/11675626/story.html

Even in the CCHL you will find a lot of scouts. Most of the scouts attend the city games and don't venture far from Ottawa, but they're there. I can recall a Carleton Place game two seasons ago where Dave Cameron and Pierre Dorion were both in attendance watching Kelly Summers (7th round pick later that year). On average for the city teams, you will 2 or 3 NHL scouts a game which is a lot for a league that averages less than NHL draft pick a year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
My personal preference is Keller, Jost, Brown but I'll trust the scouts' pick.

Same here. In that order for me. Assuming Dubois,Tkachuk,and Nylander are gone which I fully expect to be the case.

We will get a good player at 12 as we should.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I have a feeling Jost won't be drafted nearly as high as many people believe, and here's why...

In the last 10 years, only Beau Bennet and Kyle Turris were drafted out of the BCHL in the 1st Round, and both had better stats than Jost.

The BCHL is considered to have some of the weakest competition in development, and is typically one of the least scouted leagues in Canada.

While there are scouts that may be absolutely in love with him, I'm guessing that not every scout has seen him, and it may be hard pressed to agree to rank him higher than some of the players multiple scouts would have seen.

His performance at the U18 was great, but I doubt it's enough for him to be drafted in the top 10, when there are ton of other viable options.

Jost's stats weren't worse than Bennett's, he had a higher goals per game average, slightly better points per game, and slightly better playoff numbers. Pair that with his great performance at the U18s, showing he can keep up with other top prospects, and I would gladly take him at 12.

The reason there aren't a lot of high picks out of the BCHL is because most top young players don't take that route. But him and Fabbro chose to take this path. It's not as if they weren't seen as good enough for the WHL in their draft year- they went 7th and 8th overall in 2013. They chose this route to be able to play college hockey later on. These two have been highly thought of for years so when they chose to play in this league, which is still high caliber hockey, you better believe that teams made sure their scouts watched plenty of BCHL hockey this year.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
TBH ,iam not at all worried about whom we draft .This is one area we area actually pretty good in .But i like Bellows ,not sure if we would draft him though

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Dorion was on 1200 again saying they are very happy with where they are picking and have a list of 15 very good players. So......at 12 they will get one.
Also said he thinks the drops are at 3 and 8 then 15.
(unless they were replaying an old interview)

Any guesses for the tiers? (No order within tiers here)

Mathews
Laine
Puljujarvi

Dubois
Tkachuk
Nylander
Juolevi
Chychrun

Jost
Brown
Keller
Fabbro
Sergachev
Bellows
McLeod

?????

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dorion was on 1200 again saying they are very happy with where they are picking and have a list of 15 very good players. So......at 12 they will get one.
edit: He says he thinks the groups are 1-3 then 4-7 then 8-15 "very similar" players.
@13mins talks about 12th pick
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200...e-the-right-decision-come-draft-time-1.498224

So... my guess:

1-3
Mathews, Laine, Puljujarvi

4-7
Dubois, Tkachuk, Nylander and one of Chychrun Juolevi or Sergachev

8-15
remaining two of Chychrun, Juolevi and Sergachev plus Keller, Jost, Bean, Brown, McAvoy, McLeod and Fabbro (I know that's 16 guys)

I think guys like Keller and Brown might bump a D out of that 4-7 group depending on the team and from what I understand, some scouts are in absolute love with Fabbro, so he might jump into that middle group depending on the team too.

I think there is a very real possibility that we see a press conference after the draft where Dorion talks about how we had our pick ranked in that 4-7 group.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
edit: He says he thinks the groups are 1-3 then 4-7 then 8-15 "very similar" players.
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200...e-the-right-decision-come-draft-time-1.498224

1-3: Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi
4-7: Dubois, Tkachuk, Brown, Nylander
8-15: Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev, Fabbro, Jost, Keller, McLeod, Bellows

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can see a case for any combination of the following being included in that 4-7 group:

Dubois, Tkachuk, Brown, Nylander, Keller, Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev.

Some teams might even have one of McLeod, Fabbro or Jost in that group. All depends on what you value more imo. Some scouts are really influenced by size, others by hockey IQ, and others by puck skills. Some scouts put a premium on guys who are full season risers in the rankings.

The only guys I'm absolutely sure of being in that 4-7 group are Dubois, and Tkachuk. Nylander is next for me but then it's a bit of a toss up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jost and Brown are in the same tier as Dubois and Tkachuk

This draft is probably the least clear cut I can recall. Guys like Keller and Fabbro are in some peoples top 5, and could be available at 12th. Really excited to see who we end up with.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brown I agree, Jost I don't.

Jost would be in that tier for me, but I don't think he is for the Sens. If he's there at 12 we take him though unless someone big falls.

What makes you think the Sens wouldn't be high on Jost? Scouting staff adores hard working leader types, and guys that finish the year strong. Combine that with a top 10 skill level and elite level hockey sense and I could see them salvilating over Jost.

I hope we can leave day one with either Brown or Jost, but I think both will go top 10. Would be willing to trade a fair bit to move up to draft one of these two guys. I have both ranked in my top 6.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
What makes you think the Sens wouldn't be high on Jost? Scouting staff adores hard working leader types, and guys that finish the year strong. Combine that with a top 10 skill level and elite level hockey sense and I could see them salvilating over Jost.

I hope we can leave day one with either Brown or Jost, but I think both will go top 10. Would be willing to trade a fair bit to move up to draft one of these two guys. I have both ranked in my top 6.

We could assure ourselves one of Brown, Keller or Jost by moving up to 10 (Colorado). What do you guys think that would cost? Last season we paid a 3rd(this season) to move up 6 spots in the 2nd if I remember correctly to pick Gagne.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We could assure ourselves one of Brown, Keller or Jost by moving up to 10 (Colorado). What do you guys think that would cost? Last season we paid a 3rd(this season) to move up 6 spots in the 2nd if I remember correctly to pick Gagne.

Cost is always higher earlier in the draft, and it also depends on the other team's priorities. IE NSH wanted Picked who they knew since he was a goalie would be around two picks back when Ottawa gave them a third to move up and take Karlsson mid round. Free draft pick for Nashville in that case.

But then you have a team like SJ who gave Colorado a second round pick to move up from 39 to 31.

I think last season TOR wanted three seconds from CBJ to trade down from 4 to 7. It might have been 38+58+69.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Also heard him say unless they get the physically weakest of the group they will be a sure fire NHLer by 20. Think he's talking about Keller? (I could be taking this out of context

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Also heard him say unless they get the physically weakest of the group they will be a sure fire NHLer by 20. Think he's talking about Keller? (I could be taking this out of context

I thought he was just talking about unforeseen physical development of whoever they pick. If all goes well he thinks they will play in Ottawa by 20.
Or something like that.
I. Can't. Wait. For the draft.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
1-3: Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi
4-7: Dubois, Tkachuk, Brown, Nylander
8-15: Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev, Fabbro, Jost, Keller, McLeod, Bellows

Great to see we are going to get one of those guys.

Last edited:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
So of the guys that are more realistic chances for the Sens to land at 12 are there any that we do not want?

So any of: Brown, Nylander, Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev, Fabbro, Jost, Keller, McLeod and Bellows?

(I removed Tkachuk and Dubois because I think they will be gone by pick 6)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So of the guys that are more realistic chances for the Sens to land at 12 are there any that we do not want?

So any of: Brown, Nylander, Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev, Fabbro, Jost, Keller, McLeod and Bellows?

(I removed Tkachuk and Dubois because I think they will be gone by pick 6)

The guys of that list I want the least (but would still be solid additions imo) are Bellows and McLeod. Maybe Chychrun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad