2016 NHL Entry Draft, part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm really hoping we can grab Dante Salituro with the Isles 3rd rounder. Could be a steal this draft.

I love Sally, and hope we take on chance on him. No chance I'd look at him in the 3rd though. Seems like the type of guy we could get with a 6th round pick.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Bleakley is 100% getting drafted. Likely before the 4th.

Why would you take him over players like Reid Gardiner, Collin Shirley, Tyler Soy or Adam Brooks?

I would say even a guy like Reid Duke - who Minnesota elected to not give an ELC and likely won't be re-drafted - has more going for him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Michael McLeod

Scouting Report

"He's an excellent hard-working, two-way forward with speed, quickness and smarts. He plays with drive and determination and is very tough to check. A coach can put him out in any situation and feel comfortable. He's a guy who could create offense off the fly, because with the speed he has he's very hard to defend against, so he's able to make plays. I think he could show a little bit more of a power-forward game, and I think it's in him where he can just drive to the net and go right through guys." - Dan Marr, NHL director of Central Scouting.

12. Ottawa Senators - Michael McLeod, C, Mississauga (OHL)
The creative McLeod (6-2, 188) led Mississauga in shorthanded goals (four) and was second in goals (21) and points (61). He has a fantastic work ethic that makes him tough to defend.

The Draft Analyst - March 5, 2016 - "McLeod is an exciting two-way player with leadership qualities who happens to be one of the best skaters available for the coming NHL draft. He has one-step acceleration which helps him keep defenders off balance once the puck ends up on his stick. From that point forward, it’s off to the races, as McLeod combines his speed with keen vision to not only identify others for an option or two, but create one for himself. The best word to describe McLeod’s game is rapid — everything he does is with effort and a sense of urgency. What separates McLeod from the lot of draft-eligible speedsters is that he has the size, strength and puck-control skills to go along with it. "

Damien Cox of Sportsnet - January 13, 2016 - "An explosive skater, he may take time as pro for other skills to catch up, like Mikael Boedker. He still has potential to move up."

Curtis Joe of Elite Prospects - 2015 - "Michael McLeod is a highly skilled power center that relies on nobody but himself to get the job done. His size and skating make him difficult to contain, and his competitiveness gives him an edge against other teams' best. His deft puckhandling skills and control over his speed are the defining aspects of his offensive abilities. All-in-all, a top talent that is both dynamic and hard to play against."

Future Considerations - November 2015 - "McLeod has an excellent skating stride which includes several different gears and the ability to instantly change speed to shoot through holes in the defense. He is defensibly responsible and plays the game from goal light to goal light. Has a very high compete level, plays physical and will do whatever is required to help his team. Creates plenty of chances off the rush using his speed and willingness to take the puck to the net. Strong in the faceoff circle and has some leadership qualities NHL teams will like."

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Scouting Report

"He's an excellent hard-working, two-way forward with speed, quickness and smarts. He plays with drive and determination and is very tough to check. A coach can put him out in any situation and feel comfortable. He's a guy who could create offense off the fly, because with the speed he has he's very hard to defend against, so he's able to make plays. I think he could show a little bit more of a power-forward game, and I think it's in him where he can just drive to the net and go right through guys." - Dan Marr, NHL director of Central Scouting.

12. Ottawa Senators - Michael McLeod, C, Mississauga (OHL)
The creative McLeod (6-2, 188) led Mississauga in shorthanded goals (four) and was second in goals (21) and points (61). He has a fantastic work ethic that makes him tough to defend.

The Draft Analyst - March 5, 2016 - "McLeod is an exciting two-way player with leadership qualities who happens to be one of the best skaters available for the coming NHL draft. He has one-step acceleration which helps him keep defenders off balance once the puck ends up on his stick. From that point forward, it’s off to the races, as McLeod combines his speed with keen vision to not only identify others for an option or two, but create one for himself. The best word to describe McLeod’s game is rapid — everything he does is with effort and a sense of urgency. What separates McLeod from the lot of draft-eligible speedsters is that he has the size, strength and puck-control skills to go along with it. "

Damien Cox of Sportsnet - January 13, 2016 - "An explosive skater, he may take time as pro for other skills to catch up, like Mikael Boedker. He still has potential to move up."

Curtis Joe of Elite Prospects - 2015 - "Michael McLeod is a highly skilled power center that relies on nobody but himself to get the job done. His size and skating make him difficult to contain, and his competitiveness gives him an edge against other teams' best. His deft puckhandling skills and control over his speed are the defining aspects of his offensive abilities. All-in-all, a top talent that is both dynamic and hard to play against."

Future Considerations - November 2015 - "McLeod has an excellent skating stride which includes several different gears and the ability to instantly change speed to shoot through holes in the defense. He is defensibly responsible and plays the game from goal light to goal light. Has a very high compete level, plays physical and will do whatever is required to help his team. Creates plenty of chances off the rush using his speed and willingness to take the puck to the net. Strong in the faceoff circle and has some leadership qualities NHL teams will like."

If he's available, I'll be extremely surprised if the Sens pass on McLeod. Hes a textbook "Senators" kind of pick.

I personal would prefer one of Keller, Jost or Brown, but it's possible that none of those guys are available at 12, and even then I wouldn't be horribly upset if they passed on one of them for McLeod.

His skill set is brutally hard to ignore. And like Lazar, he's almost guaranteed to be a good NHLer, and that's not easy to pass up when your picking in the teens.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If he's available, I'll be extremely surprised if the Sens pass on McLeod. Hes a textbook "Senators" kind of pick.

I personal would prefer one of Keller, Jost or Brown, but it's possible that none of those guys are available at 12, and even then I wouldn't be horribly upset if they passed on one of them for McLeod.

His skill set is brutally hard to ignore. And like Lazar, he's almost guaranteed to be a good NHLer, and that's not easy to pass up when your picking in the teens.

I still think I have Brown, Keller and Jost comfortably ahead of him in my rankings. That being said, I'm higher on him than most (on HF anyways...) and I definitely have him higher than that 2nd tier of defencemen. Would be very happy to land him, even if his upside is "only" a 2nd line center at the NHL level.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I still think I have Brown, Keller and Jost comfortably ahead of him in my rankings. That being said, I'm higher on him than most (on HF anyways...) and I definitely have him higher than that 2nd tier of defencemen. Would be very happy to land him, even if his upside is "only" a 2nd line center at the NHL level.

I agree with ranking those 3 ahead for sure. They are ranked ahead on most published lists now. Mcleod's stock has fallen a little. I think he is a safe pick to play in the NHL. I would rather the Sens take the power winger goal scorer Bellows if the 3 mentioned are gone. Bellows is a high end shooter that likes to play with an edge. I think he will fill a need on the Sens quicker and has top line / top 6 upside. Teams looking for a 2/3 C should go w Mcleod. IMO we have 2/3 Cs a plenty.
I would rank Mcleod after Bellows. either way... hoping for Keller, Jost or Brown.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Well in Missasauga, his numbers were a bit of a red flag and most people were saying he was just snake bitten or unlucky. Seeing him in another setting I can't help but think it has more to do with him not having a mind for the offensive game and not having the ability to finish. Guys like Jost, Bellows and Keller were so far ahead of him in North Dakota. Even Mason Shaw looked miles ahead.

I don't expect McLeod to be anything more than a 3rd line center on his current trajectory. I've said it before but I fully expect Max Jones to go ahead of McLeod at this point. I like Adam Fox, Sam Girard, and even Gauthier over him based on my viewings and I think a good case can be made for guys like Kunin and Tufte among others.

Not sure why his numbers would be a concern. 21 goals and 61 points in 57 games played is excellent draft year production. As is his 3 goals and 9 points in 7 games in the playoffs.

His numbers would have definitely been a lot better if he could score on some of his chances. Kid gets set up on a regular basis and usually messes up the scoring chance because of his weak shot. I don't see a lack of hockey sense being the problem, he gets himself in good position and gets plenty of scoring chances, it's just when it comes down to his shot beating a goalie, that's where he falls short. No question it's a big concern, but I'm confident he can improve his shot to the point where it will no longer hinder his offense, and when that happens his goal scoring numbers will increase significantly.

I'd be careful making too much out of that U18 tournament. No question McLeod had a bad showing, but he was coming off a bad knee injury and wasn't skating as well as he usually does. As we have seen with Turris, sometimes coming back from a leg injury early can hamper more than just skating ability. Don't draw too many conclusions from a 7 game tourney.

In the 4 games I watched of him in the OHL this year he impressed me more than Nylander. Kid is an absolute soldier out there. Always making an impact on the ice with his great skating. Breaking up plays, throwing the body, disrupting offensive chances. Showed some pretty impressive vision/play-making and hands out there as well. People labelling him as a no talent grinder type like Lazar or Gauthier will be surprised. Kid was a top OHL draft pick for a reason. Doesn't lack talent at all.

He could very well end up a 3rd line center, but there's no question he has 2nd line potential. If McLeod is your 3rd line center, he'd be one of the best in the league in that role. Kid is a Bergeron/Toews type faceoff beast, and has the same size/speed combination as Kesler. McLeod has many attributes that have made Selke winners. While it's a stretch to think he's going to win one in the future, there's no question he'll be an excellent two-way forward for whatever team drafts him. Right now I'm hoping we end up with Brown or Jost (trading up to make it happen), but I'd be pretty happy if we sat at 12 and took McLeod.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Agree with most aside from Chychrun for me. I don't even want him at 12 personally, I'd rather Fabbro/Sergachev/Juolevi/Bean in terms of D. Then guys like Mcavoy/Cholowski are right there for me.

I think I'm just very low on Chychrun

I've watched Chychrun a few times this year and I would say he was not particularly impressive at least a couple times. He has been ranked really highly all along by many people that have watched him more than me though. So could be I caught him having so/so games. I do think he has a lot to offer and is further along in development then most of the D ranked in the top 15 area. I like Sergachev although I think he is more raw. Fabbro looked good when I saw him in the U18s. Juolevi I feel less confidence in than the other 3.

I think Chychrun is the first D taken at the Draft. I would have a tough time deciding between them with all the hype Chychrun has gotten. My choice would probably be Sergachev.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
MacLeod is interesting. The skill is there, he can skate like the wind and has the hands & passing ability you like to see. Great size and physicality. However, you need to reconcile the lack of production. Is it him assuming a defensive position on purpose? Is it him not having any offensive thought? If so, is that correctable? Scouts know better than I do, but the answers are the difference between a decent 3rd line C and a #1 C.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not sure why his numbers would be a concern. 21 goals and 61 points in 57 games played is excellent draft year production. As is his 3 goals and 9 points in 7 games in the playoffs.

His numbers would have definitely been a lot better if he could score on some of his chances. Kid gets set up on a regular basis and usually messes up the scoring chance because of his weak shot. I don't see a lack of hockey sense being the problem, he gets himself in good position and gets plenty of scoring chances, it's just when it comes down to his shot beating a goalie, that's where he falls short. No question it's a big concern, but I'm confident he can improve his shot to the point where it will no longer hinder his offense, and when that happens his goal scoring numbers will increase significantly.

I'd be careful making too much out of that U18 tournament. No question McLeod had a bad showing, but he was coming off a bad knee injury and wasn't skating as well as he usually does. As we have seen with Turris, sometimes coming back from a leg injury early can hamper more than just skating ability. Don't draw too many conclusions from a 7 game tourney.

In the 4 games I watched of him in the OHL this year he impressed me more than Nylander. Kid is an absolute soldier out there. Always making an impact on the ice with his great skating. Breaking up plays, throwing the body, disrupting offensive chances. Showed some pretty impressive vision/play-making and hands out there as well. People labelling him as a no talent grinder type like Lazar or Gauthier will be surprised. Kid was a top OHL draft pick for a reason. Doesn't lack talent at all.

He could very well end up a 3rd line center, but there's no question he has 2nd line potential. If McLeod is your 3rd line center, he'd be one of the best in the league in that role. Kid is a Bergeron/Toews type faceoff beast, and has the same size/speed combination as Kesler. McLeod has many attributes that have made Selke winners. While it's a stretch to think he's going to win one in the future, there's no question he'll be an excellent two-way forward for whatever team drafts him. Right now I'm hoping we end up with Brown or Jost (trading up to make it happen), but I'd be pretty happy if we sat at 12 and took McLeod.

I've never seen the kid play.....but that sounds an awful lot like Condra.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
If we go with McCleod, who can pretty much be seen as another "safe" pick, I will be pretty livid personally. Now granted, I don't know anywhere near as much as our scouts do...but what I do know is that our team is much more than a "safe" pick away from being a Stanley Cup contender. We need to hit a home run like we did when we went out and picked the 150 pound defenseman from Sweden...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not really similar IMO. Mcleod's speed and his motor are immediately noticeable. The question marks on him are hockey sense, vision, play making, shooting.

If a guy slated to go in the top 20 sounded like Condra, he'd be ranked below 170

A guy with a mediocre shot, misses a lot of chances while also putting himself in a position to score (how many breakaway did Condra have?), but with a good motor...

....still sounds Condra-ish.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we go with McCleod, who can pretty much be seen as another "safe" pick, I will be pretty livid personally. Now granted, I don't know anywhere near as much as our scouts do...but what I do know is that our team is much more than a "safe" pick away from being a Stanley Cup contender. We need to hit a home run like we did when we went out and picked the 150 pound defenseman from Sweden...

The thing is, McLeod has the tools to explode, so I'm not sure you can really call him a safe pick without the potential of being a home run.

I've seen some suggest he could be this years Larkin for example.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not really similar IMO. Mcleod's speed and his motor are immediately noticeable. The question marks on him are hockey sense, vision, play making, shooting.

But those question marks are not what the scouts have said. That is why I bolded those parts because of what I read on here about him to disprove it from the scouts themselves.

Hockey sense - smarts, can play in any situation, can create offence on the fly
Vision - has speed with keen vision, creates plenty of chances off the rush
Play Making - highly skilled, 40 assists, somebody passed to Nylander?
Points - 61 pts in 57 games, more than a PPG
Shooting - this is where he may need more work to get his shot off & with strength to make it a harder & faster shot but scouts haven't said much about his shot from all the reviews I have read.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
People are severely underrating McLeod here, without ever seeing him.

Literally his only weakness is his shot.

I watched a ton of Trout games this year, because I've thought for a while McLeod could be our guy.

He's an excellent passer, and very good playmaker. (Not sure why people are knocking his play making abilities)

He doesn't have a great shot, and is a little bit narrow sighted when he thinks he can break in, but he is great at pretty much everything else.It's not like the guy has hands of stone, he's very good on the breakaway.

He also had exponential growth in his draft year, which is a clear sign that he hasn't come close to hitting his potential yet.

While Jost, Brown and Keller are likely the better options at 12, if none of them are there, we could draft the best skater in the draft, and that's not a bad thing.

Here are a couple of quotes that were compiled by another website:

Game Overview
Reading scouting reports, it’s hard not to fall in love with McLeod. Terms like “relentless, explosive, ultra-competitive, dynamic†all litter McLeod’s reports. He is an alternate captain of the Steelheads in just his second year on the team, which speaks to his leadership ability. Watching the highlights on McLeod is just plain fun. He’s a dynamic skater with an explosive stride, giving him the ability to just skate by opponents. He also knows how to use his size in combination with his speed in order to win puck battles along the boards while simultaneously slingshotting himself into a scoring opportunity. He’s also very patient with the puck and is capable of making some pretty fantastic passes. He sees the game like a chess player, thinking two or three steps ahead of the play. He also is on the ice for Mississauga in all situations, even strength, PK and PP.

Elite Prospects:
Michael McLeod is a highly skilled power center that relies on nobody but himself to get the job done. His size and skating make him difficult to contain, and his competitiveness gives him an edge against other teams’ best. His deft puckhandling skills and control over his speed are the defining aspects of his offensive abilities. All-in-all, a top talent that is both dynamic and hard to play against.

Future Considerations:
McLeod has an excellent skating stride which includes several different gears and the ability to instantly change speed to shoot through holes in the defense. He is defensibly responsible and plays the game from goal light to goal light. Has a very high compete level, plays physical and will do whatever is required to help his team. Creates plenty of chances off the rush using his speed and willingness to take the puck to the net. Strong in the faceoff circle and has some leadership qualities NHL teams will like.

The Draft Analyst:
McLeod is an exciting two-way player with leadership qualities who happens to be one of the best skaters available for the coming NHL draft. He has one-step acceleration which helps him keep defenders off balance once the puck ends up on his stick. From that point forward, it’s off to the races, as McLeod combines his speed with keen vision to not only identify others for an option or two, but create one for himself. The best word to describe McLeod’s game is rapid — everything he does is with effort and a sense of urgency. What separates McLeod from the lot of draft-eligible speedsters is that he has the size, strength and puck-control skills to go along with it. He’s an excellent passer either up the ice or diagonally in the offensive zone, and his ability to thread the needle while moving his feet can force opponents to cheat towards the pass. This creates a parting of the seas, and many times you’ll see McLeod zoom into a massive opening for a scoring chance of his own. Therein lies the rub, however, as McLeod generates a ton of shots towards the cage without the kind of finish you’d like to see from a high-end scoring forward. Nevertheless, he’s a pure center with good faceoff skills and a relentless desire to succeed. There’s no quit in McLeod; something many of his peers are clearly lacking.

The Hockey Writers:
McLeod is an incredibly skilled all-around player, who has consistently displayed not only strong offensive skills, but also impeccable defensive and faceoff skills. He has the ability to lead the rush, finish his checks, and simply make his teammates better. In the long run, McLeod projects to be a number one or two center in the NHL, drawing comparisons to Taylor Hall for his skating, and Nicklas Backstrom for his vision and overall abilities.

Draftsite.com:
A centre who wants the puck on his stick. He drives the net with reckless abandon. Strong hands, great feet and body position lets him turn the corner wide on defenders. Relentless and determined in puck pursuit. Has great edging and keeps the pins going in all phases of the play. A terrific passer who puts it on his linemates sticks while in stride. Sees the ice well and has game breaking ability. Soft hands and a strong wrist shot and release, and its will improve as he gets more muscle. A big playmaking centre who can take a game over with his dominant speed.Will need to fill out, but looks like a top prospect.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But those question marks are not what the scouts have said. That is why I bolded those parts because of what I read on here about him to disprove it from the scouts themselves.

Hockey sense - smarts, can play in any situation, can create offence on the fly
Vision - has speed with keen vision, creates plenty of chances off the rush
Play Making - highly skilled, 40 assists, somebody passed to Nylander?
Points - 61 pts in 57 games, more than a PPG
Shooting - this is where he may need more work to get his shot off & with strength to make it a harder & faster shot but scouts haven't said much about his shot from all the reviews I have read.

I am not saying deficiencies ... question marks I have seen Ie In need of answers. I think if you did similar research you could extract glowing reports on many of the prospects, not just Mcleod.
I am basing this on what I have seen when I watched him ~ 5 times. and what I have read about him. I have heard that Nylander really helped him and when Nylander was absent his game went down. I never witnessed this , just read about it.
His skating and motor are terrific. His work ethic, and speed allow him to play in all situations. He has skills, but they do not match his skating. He is too fast for his hands for example. You can read more comments on the Prospects board about him. Of course you have to temper everything but you can get a sense. I think he has potential my initial comment on him when I first watched him was if his hands caught up to his feet watch out. I think you are within your rights to support him as a viable option for the Sens. He does have supporters as well. There will should be those grades out of 5 in different aspects coming out soon.

Most draft prospects IMO have some question marks on parts of their game; maybe aside from Matthews.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Keiffer Bellows

Scouting Report

Danton Cole, the US National coach:
He's physical on the forecheck and back pressure. He's definitely a shooter . . . he looks to shoot the puck and he has that ability, I think, in today's game, which is hard to do, is to get the pucks on the net from all kinds of odd angles and not just a soft shot; I mean he gets it on hard, it's a goal-scorer shot. The biggest thing everyone notices is the result of that, and the goal scoring. He scores goals.

"I think you make a mistake if you assume he's not a good passer," Cole said. "It's nice seeing him every day in practice, and in different situations and he can move a puck very well; he sees the openings. He understands some of the theory of offense and understands setting up triangles and where the open guy is. Now that doesn't mean he's not going to take his shots because he will, but I think also, like his defense, I think it's an underrated part of his game … We like our guys to be a little more complete than that, and he certainly is."

Bellows uses his body to protect the puck in the cycle game and extend plays. Bellows sometimes gets a bit of tunnel vision, trying to shoot everything, but when he’s scoring as much as he is, its hard to blame him too much for that. He can be a good passer, and shows good vision, but must be more consistent in using these skills. Bellows plays the game on the edge, and this can sometimes lead to him crossing the line and taking bad penalties. He must dial that back going forward.

Bellows plays a strong defensive game. He is relentless in his pursuit of the puck in all three zones. Kieffer Bellows supports the defense down low, and applies effective back pressure. He understands good positioning, and has the hockey IQ to anticipate plays and create turnovers.

"He’s a good skater with tremendous balance and moves well laterally," The Draft Analyst writes. "And while he used to play center for Edina’s powerhouse high school program, Bellows is most certainly better suited as a shooter from the flank. He’s built like a Mack truck and plays with fire, using tremendous athleticism and work ethic to maintain his compete level, even during extended shifts."

"Kieffer Bellows is a skilled power forward that can dominate games, writes Curtis Joe of Elite Prospects. "Possesses high end puck-handling ability as well as a crisp, accurate release on his shot. All-in-all, a competitor that punishes the opposition physically, as well as on the scoreboard."

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I am not saying deficiencies ... question marks I have seen Ie In need of answers. I think if you did similar research you could extract glowing reports on many of the prospects, not just Mcleod.
I am basing this on what I have seen when I watched him ~ 5 times. and what I have read about him. I have heard that Nylander really helped him and when Nylander was absent his game went down. I never witnessed this , just read about it.
His skating and motor are terrific. His work ethic, and speed allow him to play in all situations. He has skills, but they do not match his skating. He is too fast for his hands for example. You can read more comments on the Prospects board about him. Of course you have to temper everything but you can get a sense. I think he has potential my initial comment on him when I first watched him was if his hands caught up to his feet watch out. I think you are within your rights to support him as a viable option for the Sens. He does have supporters as well. There will should be those grades out of 5 in different aspects coming out soon.

Most draft prospects IMO have some question marks on parts of their game; maybe aside from Matthews.

That's very fair, I have not seen him live which is why I try to read as much as I can about them from numerous sources to try & put together the best picture I can about them. It seems to me that McLeod has all of the attributes that Ottawa could use more of & his one glowing weakness seems to be his shot. While most agree there could be more skilled players available at 12 there is no guarantee they will become NHL stars either & he could be the safest pick there who could also mature into a very good player for Ottawa. From 18 yrs old to 25 yrs old a lot of things will improve with any player especially given the coaching he will get will only improve at every level.

Keiffer Bellows who I checked out also seems like a player Ottawa could use with size, physicality, great shot & goal scoring ability but has some deficiencies & as you say, they all do. I'm quite sure that when you have 5 or 6 players who all bring something & lack something it will come down to preference & needs & which scout fights the hardest for his player. Have a great day.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
What is Mcleod problem with his shot?

Is it Accuracy? Like, they are player who have very heavy shot and strong shot but never put it on the net. Look like Zbad there or P.K. Subban

Is it that is shot isn't strong enough? Maybe the release is poor?

What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad