2016 NHL Entry Draft, part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Yes! Yes! Yes! Hot da-

I mean......sure. I suppose we could do that.

So you are saying I undersold the value, haha???

Yeah it is all dependent on draft quality, but I still think that Chiasson could fill a role on Arizona past this year. Definitely a deal that I think would be worth exploring in theory, just a question of what would be included. Maybe AZ drops the 6th rounder, or a conditional 4th is added in 2017 (drops to a 6th from Ottawa if Chiasson is resigned)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we got 7 I would think Dorian runs up to the podium to select Brown.

That's if Brown makes it to 7, which I'm starting to think may not happen.

TSN (McKenzie's scout sourced list) has Brown at 13th. I mean, that's just 10 scouts out of 30 teams worth, and they may be trying to intentionally mess with things, but his list generally does pretty well in predicting the actual draft from what I recall.

Interesting to note, one scout apparently had Fabbro at 5th, so depending on what team that was, we could see a surprise off the board pick there.

I think the wild card is how teams have the dmen ranked; TSN has three in their top 10, and a 4th at 12, not to mention Fabbro who could be a surprise pick.

I honestly have no clue how this draft goes down, but the one thing I'm sure of is there will be a guy on the board that I want when we step up to the podium.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
TSN (McKenzie's scout sourced list) has Brown at 13th. I mean, that's just 10 scouts out of 30 teams worth, and they may be trying to intentionally mess with things, but his list generally does pretty well in predicting the actual draft from what I recall.

Interesting to note, one scout apparently had Fabbro at 5th, so depending on what team that was, we could see a surprise off the board pick there.

I think the wild card is how teams have the dmen ranked; TSN has three in their top 10, and a 4th at 12, not to mention Fabbro who could be a surprise pick.

I honestly have no clue how this draft goes down, but the one thing I'm sure of is there will be a guy on the board that I want when we step up to the podium.

100% we will get a guy we want. Whether it's "Our Guy" is yet to be seen.

I think Brown is filling the Sheifele/Lindholm role this year of a guy that is going to jump up the lists. He is the biggest riser throughout the draft this year in my opinion. I think that teams are going to love his tools and toolbox too much to pass. If he was there past 7 I think we should do our best to trade up to get him.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
My personal preference is Keller, Jost, Brown but I'll trust the scouts' pick.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Is everyone here wanting Brown over Jost? I think I like Jost more.

Brown has the size, skills, and most importantly, hockey IQ to become a dominant Center in the league in my opinion.

I wouldn't complain in the least at either guy, Jost and Fabbro are two of my favorite guys in the draft along with Dubois. I am just drooling at the thought of Brown after a year or two with the Sens.

He isn't a big project, he has the skills and IQ to translate his game to the NHL.

In my opinion at least.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

If we get any of those 3 I will be very pleased. I think they all have the ability to be top line producers in the NHL. Them or Fabbro for me.

Will be interested to see where Chychrun lands. I hope we do our home work on him in case he takes a Fowler or Gormley type fall.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

These are the three guys I really want. I mean, if a guy like Puljjajarvi, Dubois, or Tkachuk were to be available, that might change things, but among realistically available guys, they are my top 3. I'm also pretty high on Fabbro but he's my consolation prize pick. Basically, if Fabbro isn't on the board when we pick, it just means we get a guy I thought wouldn't be available.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm down with jost keller or brown too. Hopefully one of the three are there for us.

I have jost ranked highest of the three but all three are solid.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I have a feeling Jost won't be drafted nearly as high as many people believe, and here's why...

In the last 10 years, only Beau Bennet and Kyle Turris were drafted out of the BCHL in the 1st Round, and both had better stats than Jost.

The BCHL is considered to have some of the weakest competition in development, and is typically one of the least scouted leagues in Canada.

While there are scouts that may be absolutely in love with him, I'm guessing that not every scout has seen him, and it may be hard pressed to agree to rank him higher than some of the players multiple scouts would have seen.

His performance at the U18 was great, but I doubt it's enough for him to be drafted in the top 10, when there are ton of other viable options.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I have a feeling Jost won't be drafted nearly as high as many people believe, and here's why...

In the last 10 years, only Beau Bennet and Kyle Turris were drafted out of the BCHL in the 1st Round, and both had better stats than Jost.

The BCHL is considered to have some of the weakest competition in development, and is typically one of the least scouted leagues in Canada.

While there are scouts that may be absolutely in love with him, I'm guessing that not every scout has seen him, and it may be hard pressed to agree to rank him higher than some of the players multiple scouts would have seen.

His performance at the U18 was great, but I doubt it's enough for him to be drafted in the top 10, when there are ton of other viable options.

What? It is the 4th highest scouted league in Canada, after only the three CHL leagues.

Well, Turris did go 3rd overall.

And he has been seen as much as any kid by scouts in Western Canada. He's played two seasons as a top NHL prospect in the BCHL, played an Under-17, and two Under 18's. He is not going to suffer from "under exposure".

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I have a very very hard time believing this statement. From everything I've ever heard and read, the BCHL is considered the best Jr A league in Canada and if not best, it's easily top 3 and the most scouted league outside of major junior.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

It's that last part that nails it. Ranking players isn't an exact science. I suspect that teams tend to bundle players together such that they're pretty ambivalent between guys ranked close together. Why take a risk on a player when you've got equivalent options?

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I have a very very hard time believing this statement. From everything I've ever heard and read, the BCHL is considered the best Jr A league in Canada and if not best, it's easily top 3 and the most scouted league outside of major junior.

And how many NHL players has it produced historically /how many are drafted each year?

It's less scouted than the OHL, WHL, the Q, College Hockey, SEL, NTDP, and probably even the USHL.

Beau Bennet went 20th overall in a draft that is very comparable to this years.
While I don't expect him to fall that far, I believe he will be a viable option for us at 12.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's impossible for him to go top 10, but historically it's rare.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And how many NHL players has it produced historically /how many are drafted each year?

It's less scouted than the OHL, WHL, the Q, College Hockey, SEL, NTDP, and probably even the USHL.

Beau Bennet went 20th overall in a draft that is very comparable to this years.
While I don't expect him to fall that far, I believe he will be a viable option for us at 12.

BCHL has produced the 4th most kids drafted out of Canada since 2000 with 82, more than 50 more than the next best league outside of the CHL.

Beau Bennett also couldn't skate, play center or a defensive role like Jost can.

Not sure why you're comparing it to leagues in the US/Sweden when you say it's the least/worse scouted league in Canada, which is completely, 100% wrong.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
BCHL has produced the 4th most kids drafted out of Canada since 2000 with 82, more than 50 more than the next best league outside of the CHL.

Beau Bennett also couldn't skate, play center or a defensive role like Jost can.

Not sure why you're comparing it to leagues in the US/Sweden when you say it's the least/worse scouted league in Canada, which is completely, 100% wrong.

Your combining my statements.
The BCHL has some of the worst competition in junior. There are metrics to prove it.
It is one of the least scouted leagues in Canada.

80 players selected in 15 years? So .02% of players in the past 15 years have come from the BCHL, and you think that the league is well scouted?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The BCHL has some of the worst competition in junior. There are metrics to prove it.

80 players selected in 15 years? So .02% of players in the past 15 years have come from the BCHL, and you think that the league is well scouted?

The league is very well scouted, it's the best Junior A league in Canada, bar none. If you are good enough, the BCHL offers more than enough exposure.

You have guys like Wiercioch/Gendron etc. who play BCHL AFTER getting drafted.

It is not one of the least scouted leagues in Canada, I'm not sure why you keep reiterating this. It is very, very easily the 4th most scouted league in Canada after the CHL leagues.

You realize there are leagues like AJHL/SJHL/OJHL/MJHL/CCHL/etc. that all produce NHL draft picks year in year out, and all of them are inferior to the BCHL, both in talent and exposure.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

What metrics are you using to support this statement?

How could your statement be true when there are almost as many BCHL prospects drafted in the last 20 years as the combined total of the OJHL, AJHL, CCHL and CJHL etc in the same time? It seriously makes no sense at all. Do you understand how many JR A leagues there are in Canada or do you think that the BCHL is equivalent to major junior and comparing it to the CHL? I think you don't understand the claims you seem to be making.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
What metrics are you using to support this statement?

How could your statement be true when there are almost as many BCHL prospects drafted in the last 20 years as the combined total of the OJHL, AJHL, CCHL and CJHL etc in the same time? It seriously makes no sense at all. Do you understand how many JR A leagues there are in Canada or do you think that the BCHL is equivalent to major junior and comparing it to the CHL? I think you don't understand the claims you seem to be making.

Obviously I know the difference.

Believe what you like, but I have seen scouting assignments for myself, and know that far more resources are put into scouting the CHL vs the BCHL or the rest of Junior A combined.

I'm not saying these leagues or the BCHL itself isn't being scouted, I'm saying that relatively speaking, very few trips are being made to visit these teams.

And why would they? .02% of players drafted, and substantially less that make an impact.

The Sens have what, 14 official scouts? With some of them being specifically for Europe and the U.S., and the other half being Pro Scouts?

How much time do you think they are setting aside to see players from Junior A?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Obviously I know the difference.

Believe what you like, but I have seen scouting assignments for myself, and know that far more resources are put into scouting the CHL vs the BCHL or the rest of Junior A combined.

I'm not saying these leagues or the BCHL itself isn't being scouted, I'm saying that relatively speaking, very few trips are being made to visit these teams.

And why would they? .02% of players drafted, and substantially less that make an impact.

The Sens have what, 14 official scouts? With some of them being specifically for Europe and the U.S., and the other half being Pro Scouts?

How much time do you think they are setting aside to see players from Junior A?

I would wager they saw 3-4 Penticton games, and at least 2-3 Chilliwack games.

Penticton was full of scouts all season long.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Last edited:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I was at 2 games this November in Penticton where the place was packed with scouts both nights.

Considering all 3 of Jost/Fabbro/Cholowski are/were realistic picks with our first 2 selections, I am quite confident Fargher/Lowes saw A LOT of BCHL games this year.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ewen+scouts+coming+droves+bchl+prospects/11675626/story.html

That's neat. I'm basing it off of what I've been told in the past, but it makes sense if the Sens are as high on Jost and Fabbro as rumoured.

Basically, a scout tries to see someone they like twice, just to reaffirm their notes and to even out a good or bad game.

Murray/Dorion are pretty insistent on our Scouts seeing each others guys, so that could also be the case there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad