2016 NHL Entry Draft, part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Out of Jost, Keller, and Brown I would rather Keller but if it comes down to those 3 I won't complain too much with who the scouts pick.

Unparalleled2021

Apr 30, 2015
We should call up GMTM and discuss moving up to 8. Say Chychrun and Juolevi are both gone, and Tim refuses to take a Russian D in Sergachev.

I'd imagine they could move down to 12 and still pick up one of Bean, Fabbro or McAvoy, while we would have our pick of Nylander, Jost, Keller and Brown if we want to guarantee a forward in that tier. How much do you think it would cost?

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
We should call up GMTM and discuss moving up to 8. Say Chychrun and Juolevi are both gone, and Tim refuses to take a Russian D in Sergachev.

I'd imagine they could move down to 12 and still pick up one of Bean, Fabbro or McAvoy, while we would have our pick of Nylander, Jost, Keller and Brown if we want to guarantee a forward in that tier. How much do you think it would cost?

Honestly, The team can't even really think about moving up or down until they see how the draft unfolds. For all we know, somebody that they want at 6 could be available at 12.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Honestly, The team can't even really think about moving up or down until they see how the draft unfolds. For all we know, somebody that they want at 6 could be available at 12.

You realize that completely contradicts itself.

So we like a guy at 6, but hope he doesn't get chosen before we pick at 12. They won't know if he will be available until it's our pick. They would obviously have to think about moving up before the draft unfolds.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Would consider trading up for Juolevi..but not Chychrun (is "unpoised" a word?! In U18s). Sergachev looks solid too...tho we need a F. So BPA=Jost?! Keller=good ol Corrie Connacher?!

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Would consider trading up for Juolevi..but not Chychrun (is "unpoised" a word?! In U18s). Sergachev looks solid too...tho we need a F. So BPA=Jost?! Keller=good ol Corrie Connacher?!

Juolevi isn't worth trading up for.

IMO Chychrun, Juolevi and Sergachev are all overrated.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Fabbro is still my favorite D from this draft. The highest IQ and a very transferable skillset.

He is built for the NHL. Reminds me a lot of Nick Leddy (further along at the same age)

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
You realize that completely contradicts itself.

So we like a guy at 6, but hope he doesn't get chosen before we pick at 12. They won't know if he will be available until it's our pick. They would obviously have to think about moving up before the draft unfolds.

What I mean is that they will have to wait to see how the draft unfolds to see who on their list falls. If their 6th ranked prospect starts to fall past 6, then they start thinking about trading up to get him. The farther he falls, the cheaper it will be to trade for that pick.

I don't think there's much sense in trying to acquire the 6th pick until they see who gets taken at 5. I don't think they go into the draft with the idea of trading up or trading down...I think it becomes an option for them if the draft unfolds in a particular way. Could be wrong about this though.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Anyone know when the draft preview mags start hitting the news stands. I don't watch junior hockey and need to read someone else's opinion before I can establish my own.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Any centers with high ceilings available around our pick?

I think we might grab a goalie in the later rounds

Unparalleled2021

Apr 30, 2015

I'd say the three I mentioned (Jost, Keller, Brown) likely have the highest ceilings in terms of realistic choices at 12, and that's why I would be okay with aggressively trying to lock down one of him.

Obviously moving up would be something we consider on draft day, once we see how the board falls. My suggestion was to move up if the consensus top 5 forwards and top 2 D are gone by 7.

Montreal, Colorado and (especially) New Jersey could all be looking at high-ceiling forwards with their pick. If we think there's a drop off between the aforementioned group and the next (McLeod, Bellows, Gauthier) in terms of the TYPE of players they are, I would like to see Dorion and co make a move to secure one.

Much has been made about our chances of being contenders with our current centre group. I think we have depth in the organization at every position, but no one who projects as a top flight centre. We've made a lot of smart, high floor picks; I think that puts us in great position to swing for the fences in a draft with a very strong top 10 when we, hopefully, won't be picking in that range in the next few years.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Anyone know when the draft preview mags start hitting the news stands. I don't watch junior hockey and need to read someone else's opinion before I can establish my own.

Very soon. Usually after the final ISS rankings. (which may have already come out?)

On the draft...

The best thing we can do, is maximimize the value of our picks.
In a draft like this, there isn't much sense in trading up, unless you have someone ranked head and shoulder's above the rest.

Trading back in a draft where everything is muddled in the middle is great.

Take a look at last year's draft:

Connor
White
Konecny
Barzal
Boeser

All should have gone higher than they did.
A team like NJ or SJ, would have been much better off trading down from 6/9, to get an extra pick in the draft. Ex: #6/#9 for #15 and #25 from the Jets, or #18 and #21 from Ottawa.

Instead of having just Zacha or Meier, they could have ended up with Connor/Barzal and someone like Boeser/Konecny/White.

Now sometimes it's better to go the other way, but it really depends on the depth of your prospect pool, and the efficiency of your scouts.

Ottawa NEEDS a bonafide stud desperately.

If we could find a way to draft 2 of:
-Keller
-McLeod
-Brown
-Jost
-Fabbro

I think we'd be laughing.

So how do we do it? Easy answer is to trade Hoffman. (under the assumption you can't get a long term deal done)

Hoffman would easily bring in a 1st Rd Pick, and I don't see why you would hang onto him, if he doesn't want to be here.

Alternatively, you could move Mika, and hope to bring someone in through free agency. You will end up paying more in cap hit for the replacement, but likely not much more than you would end up paying Mika on his next contract, and you get a 1st Rd pick in return. Obviously this is risky, as you would have to be fairly confident in your ability to sign someone.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Brown looks like he's a high floor, high ceiling type player. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes top 6, but could also be there when we pick.

A centerman with that kind of size, vision, and mobility is going to be high on a lot of teams lists.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Brown looks like he's a high floor, high ceiling type player. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes top 6, but could also be there when we pick.

A centerman with that kind of size, vision, and mobility is going to be high on a lot of teams lists.

As a fun experiment, I would like us to draft both Keller and Brown, to see how we develop players from the opposite sides of the size spectrum.

Both looked good at the U18s, both likely available with picks in the 10-18 range.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brown won't be available anywhere close to 12. He'll go far ahead of where he is ranked. Teams won't be stupid enough to pass on a potential 6'6 #1 center that improved tremendously as the year went on. I have him ranked in the top 5 and have him in the same tier as Dubois and Tkachuk. Really underrated talent.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Fabbro is still my favorite D from this draft. The highest IQ and a very transferable skillset.

He is built for the NHL. Reminds me a lot of Nick Leddy (further along at the same age)

Yeah he's a very impressive player. The biggest things I look for in a draft eligible D is hockey sense/poise, skating ability, puckmoving ability and talent. Fabbro has most of those skills in spades, but he's only a decent skater. If he was a better skater he'd be viewed similarly to Juolevi and would be ranked in the top 10.

Wouldn't be upset if we took Fabbro at 12. With his talent and smarts, looks like a pretty safe bet to be a top 4 D one day.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
One guy I think is really underrated is Kieffer Bellows. Power forward with an absolutely unreal shot and loves to play physical. He's probably the second best pure goal scorer in the draft behind Laine.

Broke goal scoring records last year in the USHL. Only players that have out-produced him on the USNTDP in the last 7 years are Matthews, Eichel, Milano and his linemate Keller. If he reaches his potential he could be a physical 30 goal scoring LW.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Brown won't be available anywhere close to 12. He'll go far ahead of where he is ranked. Teams won't be stupid enough to pass on a potential 6'6 #1 center that improved tremendously as the year went on. I have him ranked in the top 5 and have him in the same tier as Dubois and Tkachuk. Really underrated talent.

We will see. You could absolutely be right. If a team likes him, they won't hesitate in taking him early, but the consensus rankings is that he doesn't go in the top 10.

Just look at Craig's List. While his is strictly his opinion, it is more like a GMs draft list than any other list we generally see. He has Brown at #27.

ISS has him at 11, NHL at 10, Damien Cox at 23, etc, etc.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I think Brown, Keller and Jost will be gone by 12.

Brown won't get past Montreal.

No chance one of those 3 aren't available.

Matthews, Pulj, Laine, Dubois, Tkachuk, Chychrun, Juolevi, Nylander are all going in the top 10.

If you include Brown, Keller, and Jost, it would mean Sergachyov and McLeod are available at 12, and that no one has picked off the board, which is highly unlikely.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I guess I would be happy with one of jost Keller McLeod seegachyev brown.

I'm coming around to the idea of 12

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Brown reminds me of Spezza. Might honestly be the best playmaker in the draft at 6 ft 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad