2016 NBA Offseason thread - Free Agency,Trades,Hires,etc

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The NBA must be doing something right. Only 1.2% of the US (or less than 4 million) watched the SCF for a 2.3 rating. TV shows that have the exact same rating are 2 Broke Girls CBS, Shades of Blue NBC, Once Upon a Time ABC, and Mom CBS.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's literally correct. Name a bigger player he acquired than Shaq...

LBJ. Sure Shaq helped them win their first title, but LBJ brought them to 4 straight including two back-to-back, and one of the best overall seasons in 2012-2013. I guarantee their ratings and merchandise sales went up a lot more with LBJ on the team than Shaq.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
LBJ. Sure Shaq helped them win their first title, but LBJ brought them to 4 straight including two back-to-back, and one of the best overall seasons in 2012-2013. I guarantee their ratings and merchandise sales went up a lot more with LBJ on the team than Shaq.

images

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bosh said he is ready to play.

Bosh said he was ready and wanted to play in the playoffs too. I guess we'll see in two weeks when camp starts but it doesn't seem like this is over. The owner tweeted that he's looking forward to seeing Bosh in camp but the Heat doctors still haven't cleared him to return.

He has been talking to a lot of people about the issue, including Tomas Fleischmann since he deals with it too. Apparently he wants to play while on blood thinners but that's something the Heat have been completely against from the beginning.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Bosh said he was ready and wanted to play in the playoffs too. I guess we'll see in two weeks when camp starts but it doesn't seem like this is over. The owner tweeted that he's looking forward to seeing Bosh in camp but the Heat doctors still haven't cleared him to return.

He has been talking to a lot of people about the issue, including Tomas Fleischmann since he deals with it too. Apparently he wants to play while on blood thinners but that's something the Heat have been completely against from the beginning.

Any reason why?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Any reason why?

From what I've heard/read, they're worried about his health and about the potential consequences if something were to happen. This article outlines the issues:

The Heat was adamantly opposed to allowing him to play while taking blood-thinners because it would be very dangerous for someone on thinners who sustained a cut, or fell hard and started bleeding internally, during a game.

According to a team source, the Bosh camp spent considerable time exploring the idea of Bosh continuing to take those blood thinners, but at a time of day (such as early morning) that the medication would be out of his bloodstream by game time.

Someone with knowledge of the situation said blood tests indicated the medication was out of Bosh’s system after 8 to 12 hours, which would significantly lessen the risk for Bosh playing. But the Heat and team doctors rejected that idea.

None of the doctors involved in Bosh’s case is commenting, but Robert Myerburg --- an expert on treatment of athletes and a cardiologist at U-Health – said even though some of the newer blood thinners can be out of a patient’s system within 12 hours, “I would not use that strategy [that the Bosh camp explored]. There’s too much at risk.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/05/exploring-where-heat-stands-with-impending-free-agents-and-more-on-bosh-situation-dolphins-canes-mar.html

According to Dan Le Batard, the Heat have 6 or 7 doctors who are advising them not to go with this strategy. Bosh apparently has one doctor who is saying he could play. So this situation could still get messy with the union possibly getting involved.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
From what I've heard/read, they're worried about his health and about the potential consequences if something were to happen. This article outlines the issues:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/05/exploring-where-heat-stands-with-impending-free-agents-and-more-on-bosh-situation-dolphins-canes-mar.html

According to Dan Le Batard, the Heat have 6 or 7 doctors who are advising them not to go with this strategy. Bosh apparently has one doctor who is saying he could play. So this situation could still get messy with the union possibly getting involved.

So basically he wants to do the same thing as Fleischmann.

It'd def be interesting if the union had to get involved cause I have 0 idea how that would go. Bosh would obv have examples like Fleischmann, but at the same time the Drs are probably right that there is some risk. Do you know if Bosh ever had the IVC filter surgery?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So basically he wants to do the same thing as Fleischmann.

It'd def be interesting if the union had to get involved cause I have 0 idea how that would go. Bosh would obv have examples like Fleischmann, but at the same time the Drs are probably right that there is some risk. Do you know if Bosh ever had the IVC filter surgery?

I don't think he had any surgery but I'm not sure.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Any reason why?

Health is the big one, but if he doesn't play another game before something like Feb 20 (his last game was around there, this past year) insurance covers a buyout of his contract. So he gets his money but they don't have any cap charges put on them, basically a free buyout.

The official rule IIRC is if a player hasn't played a game in over 365 days, the team is allowed to buy them out for free and an insurance company will cover it. So both sides essentially win.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
KG retired today.

An end of an era with Duncan, Kobe, and Garnett all leaving in the same offseason.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
KG retired today.

An end of an era with Duncan, Kobe, and Garnett all leaving in the same offseason.

How do people stay fans of Minny teams. It's bloody depressing and I'm a fan of only one franchise (Twins).

- KG retired
- Vikings look like superbowl contenders? Injure half their offense
- Twins have sucked for the last 5 years
- Wild are decent so far, especially after landing Bruce

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: